Forum
[SOLVED] hdmi screen keeps reconecting while play/stop - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Others (/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: [SOLVED] hdmi screen keeps reconecting while play/stop (/thread-2874.html)

Pages: 1 2

RE: hdmi screen keeps reconecting while play/stop - menakite - 19th Mar, 2015 11:58 AM

I've looked at your logs. It seems to confirm that you have "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" enabled.

When you say that an older build doesn't behave like this, do you mean a new install (or you downgrade the XBMC package manually)?
That might be because the option, for some reason, was (mistakenly) disabled (by default - can be enabled) in some old build.

It might also be that OpenELEC doesn't enable that setting by default. I don't know, to be honest.

Let me explain why there's a setting and why I suggest you leave it enabled - I'll try to simplify things.
If you watch a 23.976p video (23.976 frames per second, progressive scan) and your display (i.e. your TV) has a refresh rate of 50 Hz, you might notice the video "stutters" from time to time. It's because Kodi needs to synchronize the video to what is actually displayed on your TV (your TV expects 25/50 frames per second, but it's only getting 23.976).
It also needs to keep audio synchronized with video (they're "sent" separately).
It should also be noted that most don't notice this stuttering at all.
This can be achieved by "speeding up" the video from 23.976 frames per second to 25, or by adjusting the refresh rate of the display (if a matching refresh rate, or multiple of it, is supported).
So, enabling this setting gives the best experience: you're watching the movie exactly how to director wanted you to see it.
A side effect is that the TV needs a couple seconds (some are even slower) to switch to a different rate, but this should only happen when video start and when video ends. You get a black screen while it's doing its job.
This option is configurable because some receivers (TV, monitor, AVR, ...) misbehave when switching to a different refresh rate, or report a refresh rate they don't actually support.

With that being said, I'll take a deeper look at your logs in the next days to make sure there's nothing odd going on, but the symptoms sound like it's just switching to a different refresh rate.

RE: hdmi screen keeps reconecting while play/stop - IIIdefconIII - 19th Mar, 2015 12:26 PM

(19th Mar, 2015 11:58 AM)menakite Wrote:  I've looked at your logs. It seems to confirm that you have "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" enabled.

When you say that an older build doesn't behave like this, do you mean a new install (or you downgrade the XBMC package manually)?
That might be because the option, for some reason, was (mistakenly) disabled (by default - can be enabled) in some old build.

It might also be that OpenELEC doesn't enable that setting by default. I don't know, to be honest.

Let me explain why there's a setting and why I suggest you leave it enabled - I'll try to simplify things.
If you watch a 23.976p video (23.976 frames per second, progressive scan) and your display (i.e. your TV) has a refresh rate of 50 Hz, you might notice the video "stutters" from time to time. It's because Kodi needs to synchronize the video to what is actually displayed on your TV (your TV expects 25/50 frames per second, but it's only getting 23.976).
It also needs to keep audio synchronized with video (they're "sent" separately).
It should also be noted that most don't notice this stuttering at all.
This can be achieved by "speeding up" the video from 23.976 frames per second to 25, or by adjusting the refresh rate of the display (if a matching refresh rate, or multiple of it, is supported).
So, enabling this setting gives the best experience: you're watching the movie exactly how to director wanted you to see it.
A side effect is that the TV needs a couple seconds (some are even slower) to switch to a different rate, but this should only happen when video start and when video ends. You get a black screen while it's doing its job.
This option is configurable because some receivers (TV, monitor, AVR, ...) misbehave when switching to a different refresh rate, or report a refresh rate they don't actually support.

With that being said, I'll take a deeper look at your logs in the next days to make sure there's nothing odd going on, but the symptoms sound like it's just switching to a different refresh rate.

thanks for the good explenation, so in theory if i disable that option in the latest build, it should stop reconnecting right?

UPDATE: i tried and indeed, the option is default off on the older build, that the reason that i was thinking its a bug, sorry for holding you all and many thanks again ill close the github ticked

[CLOSED]

RE: hdmi screen keeps reconecting while play/stop - rikardo1979 - 19th Mar, 2015 03:56 PM

Glad you get it at the end
If you would try what was suggested at the beginning and you red the information which was given to you, you could save a lot of time and hassle Wink
http://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/Video#Playback
Quote:Adjust display refresh rate to match video
Defines when the refresh rate adjustments should take place.
Activate to automatically set the refresh rate which is best matched with the video that is playing (default off). This potentially allows for perfectly smooth video reproduction, as video material can be recorded in a variety of frame rates (23.976fps, 24fps, 25fps, 29.97fps, 30 fps, etc.) which need to be properly matched by the refresh rate of the display, in order to be displayed smoothly.

Thread prefix updated to Solved, please next time you can do yourself so its easier recognisable. Thanks

RE: hdmi screen keeps reconecting while play/stop - IIIdefconIII - 19th Mar, 2015 11:07 PM

(19th Mar, 2015 03:56 PM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  Glad you get it at the end
If you would try what was suggested at the beginning and you red the information which was given to you, you could save a lot of time and hassle Wink
http://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/Video#Playback
Quote:Adjust display refresh rate to match video
Defines when the refresh rate adjustments should take place.
Activate to automatically set the refresh rate which is best matched with the video that is playing (default off). This potentially allows for perfectly smooth video reproduction, as video material can be recorded in a variety of frame rates (23.976fps, 24fps, 25fps, 29.97fps, 30 fps, etc.) which need to be properly matched by the refresh rate of the display, in order to be displayed smoothly.

Thread prefix updated to Solved, please next time you can do yourself so its easier recognisable. Thanks

got it, sounds verry likeley indeed Tongue but never knew that it was default disabled in the old version, thats why i tought it was a bug, and offcourse me comment on the youtube videoo, you were right, i was wrong Wink thans again, hop to not speak to you anymore otherwise i have issues Tongue greetings