Forum
Audio only stutter - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Configuration (/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: Audio only stutter (/thread-2877.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Audio only stutter - mrpi - 20th Mar, 2015 06:48 AM

Hello,

I have updated to the latest stable and now the video playback works great. (Nice work guys!) The video stutter totally disappeared, even while the RPi is downloading or working with large files.
My problem (which I had before too) is that if I try to listen to any audio only source (local mp3, shoutcast etc.) playback will stutter if the RPi is doing anything else or even if I go through the menus.
The setup is described in my profile.

How come audio playback has problems, while audio+video works really well?!

Thanks,
Alex

RE: Audio only stutter - Skywatch - 20th Mar, 2015 08:26 PM

I believe that audio only and video use different players.

The audio problem is happening to a few people (see RC3 thread for example), so it's not just you that has the problem.

S.

RE: Audio only stutter - f1vefour - 22nd Mar, 2015 08:10 AM

External audio hardware or from HDMI?

RE: Audio only stutter - mrpi - 22nd Mar, 2015 06:20 PM

HDMI.
I tinkered with advancedsettings.XML and set the audio player to paplayer. It's working fine now, although no matter if I remove that setting or not, it still works well. Now even if I try to force playback through dvdplayer from menu, it still works fine.
I don't know what caused the audio only problem, but I made a full backup and I'm OK now, except some occasional freezes that I can live with.
If you want me to try anything to help diagnose these, just say so...

RE: Audio only stutter - mrpi - 23rd Mar, 2015 01:51 AM

Scratch that. SHOUTcast streams and local mp3s stutter when using paplayer, but not when using dvdplayer.
For a few days it worked fine with default settings. Haven't changed a thing... I'm setting default player to dvdplayer...

RE: Audio only stutter - rikardo1979 - 23rd Mar, 2015 03:45 AM

no issue what so ever
whats in your logs? also check
Code:
from ssh when playing music

RE: Audio only stutter - mrpi - 23rd Mar, 2015 06:01 AM

First thing I checked was cpu usage, but no downloading or any other processing going on.
If playback is using paplayer instead of dvdplayer, then sound gets choppy even for local mp3s while navigating through KODI's interface. I also had this problem with XBMC before upgrading. Also, I had visualisation set to none for both of them.
I will return with more details as soon as I can.
Is there a drawback to using dvdplayer for audio instead of paplayer?

RE: Audio only stutter - Oebelchen - 9th Apr, 2015 09:43 PM

(23rd Mar, 2015 06:01 AM)mrpi Wrote:  First thing I checked was cpu usage, but no downloading or any other processing going on.
If playback is using paplayer instead of dvdplayer, then sound gets choppy even for local mp3s while navigating through KODI's interface. I also had this problem with XBMC before upgrading. Also, I had visualisation set to none for both of them.
I will return with more details as soon as I can.
Is there a drawback to using dvdplayer for audio instead of paplayer?

Hi,

yes, you can define dvdplayer as default player in the advancedsettings.xls-file located in your userdata-Folder.
I will post a small guide to do so in the near future!

RE: Audio only stutter - mrpi - 9th Apr, 2015 09:56 PM

I already did that, as I've previously mentioned. That was my only solution...
Still, I don't know why paplayer has issues playing audio on my Pi without stuttering. Sad
I just wanted to know if there are any drawbacks to using "dvdplayer" instead of "paplayer" for audio (other than visualizations not working with dvdplayer, which isn't really a problem for me).

RE: Audio only stutter - Oebelchen - 10th Apr, 2015 12:02 AM

(9th Apr, 2015 09:56 PM)mrpi Wrote:  I already did that, as I've previously mentioned. That was my only solution...
Still, I don't know why paplayer has issues playing audio on my Pi without stuttering. Sad
I just wanted to know if there are any drawbacks to using "dvdplayer" instead of "paplayer" for audio (other than visualizations not working with dvdplayer, which isn't really a problem for me).

I'm using dvdplayer for more then 2 Weeks as the default player and didn't find any drawbacks. Even by watching a picture-slideshow during mp3-playing. This caused little sound-problems in my earlier xbmc-Version.

RE: Audio only stutter - corax - 10th Apr, 2015 02:16 AM

Hi,

i got the same problem.
I made a update from Gotham 13.2.
Now 14.2

Audioplayback stutters from time to time. I play mostly ogg's.

Top shows me a normal CPU usage around ~30-40%.
When audio stutters it's about 85%!

But i have another big Problem, I often use Yatse to control Kodi.
At the moment Yatse is startet on tab or phone (or a Android device running Yatse in background get connected to the WiFi), the audio ist stuttering all the time. It's absolutly usless, and there is no difference between paplayer or DVDplayer.

Any ideas?

Thanks, corax

RE: Audio only stutter - mrpi - 10th Apr, 2015 03:31 PM

Thanks for the answers!
Yeah, I'm using Yatse too. I'll test without.
I'll be getting an infrared remote anyway, because I like feeling the buttons.

RE: Audio only stutter - SVerstraten - 16th Apr, 2015 06:18 PM

I have the same stuttering issue with Yatse, but also with the official Kodi remote 'Kore'.

RE: Audio only stutter - corax - 20th Apr, 2015 01:48 AM

I'm back on my backup with Gotham 13.2.
Is there anyone working on this bug? 14.2 is absolutely unusable if you want listen music.
Additional to this, 13.2 is really smoother and more stable than 14.2.

Do you need more information? It's no problem to write 14.2 back on my SD card.

RE: Audio only stutter - mrpi - 20th Apr, 2015 01:57 AM

Until someone fixes this, the only workaround is to change your default audio player in the advancedsettings.xml file to "dvdplayer" as instructed here:
http://kodi.wiki/view/Advancedsettings.xml#audio