Forum
Upgrade to Kodi - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Installation (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Upgrade to Kodi (/thread-2986.html)

Pages: 1 2

Upgrade to Kodi - agent5150 - 8th May, 2015 09:58 AM

Is there a plan to release a Kodi based upgrade for Xbian?

All xbmc related packages are held back on apt-get upgrade attempt.

Is there a manual way?, If there is manual upgrade path/how to, please post as sticky or a separate thread with sticky.

RE: Upgrade to Kodi - agent5150 - 13th May, 2015 09:38 AM

really.... no reply to my question.

RE: Upgrade to Kodi - Smultie - 13th May, 2015 03:56 PM

Updates to xbian-package-xbmc happen quite a lot.
Are you familiar with the apt-get update process?

RE: Upgrade to Kodi - CountZero - 15th May, 2015 11:37 PM

apt-get upgrade results in a bunch of xbmc related packages being 'held back' and xbian-config simply tries to do apt-get upgrade, so not sure why the FAQ and other things recommend using xbian-config instead of apt-get since it's the same exact thing.

Anyway, upgrading from Gotham to Helix is not as simple as running xbian-config or apt-get upgrade as far as I can tell.

root@xbmc-familyroom:~# apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages have been kept back:
xbian-package-config-shell xbian-package-config-xbmc xbian-package-firmware xbian-package-initramfs-tools xbian-package-upstart-xbmc-bridge
xbian-package-usbmount xbian-package-xbmc-scripts xbian-update

Now what?

RE: Upgrade to Kodi - CurlyMo - 16th May, 2015 12:43 AM

Just list all those packages manually like this:
Code:
apt-get install xbian-package-config-shell xbian-package-config-xbmc xbian-package-firmware xbian-package-initramfs-tools xbian-package-upstart-xbmc-bridge xbian-package-usbmount xbian-package-xbmc-scripts xbian-update

RE: Upgrade to Kodi - CountZero - 16th May, 2015 12:45 AM

Yeah, that breaks the installation and makes it unbootable. Having to install a fresh image now...

RE: Upgrade to Kodi - 7dwergen - 16th May, 2015 03:02 AM

(16th May, 2015 12:45 AM)CountZero Wrote:  Yeah, that breaks the installation and makes it unbootable. Having to install a fresh image now...
not neccesairy,
just do a btrfs-snapshot rollback in order to restore your previous system-state

RE: Upgrade to Kodi - agent5150 - 16th May, 2015 12:21 PM

This is why I switched one of my B+ Pi to OpenElec, as I am sick and tired of dealing with broken stuff with every major & even minor updates on xbian.

I hope devs get this once awesome media center back on track soon.

RE: Upgrade to Kodi - CurlyMo - 16th May, 2015 06:59 PM

Everybody is feel free to run what they want. I honestly never had issues with XBian (upgrading). And i'm not saying this because i'm an XBian crew member. I just never had.

RE: Upgrade to Kodi - agent5150 - 17th May, 2015 04:39 AM

(16th May, 2015 06:59 PM)CurlyMo Wrote:  Everybody is feel free to run what they want. I honestly never had issues with XBian (upgrading). And i'm not saying this because i'm an XBian crew member. I just never had.

Happy for you .. but this what I get when I manually try to update the held back packages:

apt-get install xbian-package-config-xbmc xbian-package-upstart-xbmc-bridge xbian-package-xbmc-scripts xbian-update
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
xbian-package-config-xbmc : Breaks: xbian-package-xbmc (< 14.0) but 13.2-RLS-1411559513 is to be installed
xbian-package-upstart-xbmc-bridge : Breaks: xbian-package-xbmc (< 14.0) but 13.2-RLS-1411559513 is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

RE: Upgrade to Kodi - CurlyMo - 20th May, 2015 03:17 AM

I just did 107 packages:
Code:
The following packages will be upgraded:
  apt apt-utils autofs avahi-daemon bsdutils bzip2 console-setup console-setup-linux coreutils debconf
  debconf-i18n dmsetup dpkg dpkg-dev firmware-imx initramfs-tools initscripts keyboard-configuration
  libafpclient0 libapt-inst1.5 libapt-pkg4.12 libavahi-client3 libavahi-common-data libavahi-common3
  libavahi-compat-libdnssd1 libavahi-core7 libblkid1 libbz2-1.0 libc-bin libc-dev-bin libc6 libc6-dbg libc6-dev
  libcap2 libcap2-bin libdevmapper-event1.02.1 libdevmapper1.02.1 libdpkg-perl libfslvpuwrap libgcrypt20
  libgssapi-krb5-2 libgudev-1.0-0 libicu52 libimx libk5crypto3 libkrb5-3 libkrb5support0 libldap-2.4-2
  liblvm2app2.2 libmount1 libmp3lame0 libmpeg2-4 libpam-systemd libparted2 libpython-dev libpython-stdlib
  librtmp1 libsmartcols1 libssl-dev libssl1.0.0 libsystemd0 libtasn1-6 libtcl8.6 libtiff5 libudev-dev libudev1
  libupower-glib3 libuuid1 linux-image-armmp linux-libc-dev locales mount multiarch-support nodejs nodejs-dev ntp
  openssh-client openssh-server openssh-sftp-server openssl parted perl perl-base perl-modules pilight
  pilight-webgui python python-dev python-minimal systemd sysv-rc sysvinit-utils tcl8.6 tcl8.6-dev tzdata
  u-boot-tools udev upower util-linux xbian-package-config-shell xbian-package-initramfs-tools
  xbian-package-upstart-xbmc-bridge xbian-package-usbmount xbian-package-vnc-server xbian-package-xbmc-6q
  xbian-package-xbmc-scripts xbian-update
107 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 143 MB of archives.
After this operation, 10.4 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
Without any issues. I think it's pretty user specific. Can you post your issue on github?

RE: Upgrade to Kodi - crs - 21st May, 2015 08:08 AM

(16th May, 2015 12:21 PM)agent5150 Wrote:  This is why I switched one of my B+ Pi to OpenElec, as I am sick and tired of dealing with broken stuff with every major & even minor updates on xbian.

I hope devs get this once awesome media center back on track soon.
I have been XBian user a long time..... I know there are other choices & have tested a few. But since this is bleeding edge, some times waiting is all I can do, my coding skills stay home. New "IMG" 5.19.15, load numbers in "TOP" look very nice. Putting my 3k movie data base in now.

RE: Upgrade to Kodi - agent5150 - 21st May, 2015 12:06 PM

[/code]
Without any issues. I think it's pretty user specific. Can you post your issue on github?
[/quote]

Ok, so I retried the manual upgrade and this time it did not complain of any broken dependencies.. something must have been updated since my last try.

Two B+ Pis updated to Kodi 14.2.. so far no issues noted.

I still think devs need to put out a new image with Kodi. Smile

RE: Upgrade to Kodi - CurlyMo - 21st May, 2015 05:21 PM

And we did.

RE: Upgrade to Kodi - agent5150 - 30th May, 2015 09:40 AM

(21st May, 2015 05:21 PM)CurlyMo Wrote:  And we did.

Noticing significant lag on UI.. remote clicks lag for upto 6 seconds.. then catch up.
this is noticed on 3 different Xbians updated to Kodi 14.2.
One Model B, Two Model B+

overall sluggish UI compared to v13 XBMC.