Forum
OSX Installer broken, can't boot from latest image - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Installation (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: OSX Installer broken, can't boot from latest image (/thread-3002.html)

OSX Installer broken, can't boot from latest image - partap - 19th May, 2015 02:46 PM

I just got my rpi 2, and I'm trying to install xbian on it.

Unfortunately, the installer fails to run now... I'm getting a weird /bin/sh error, although the installer doesn't appear to be a shell script: Screenshot

I'm running OSX Yosemite 10.10.3.

Then I figured I could just try directly loading the latest img file form the website, but that's not working either.

Maybe I'm just doing it wrong... I used dd to write the img file directly to my SD card, but it doesn't boot. Also, I noticed that it only partitioned about 1 GB of my 16 GB SD card, which makes sense, since that's the size of the img file... obviously I need a different method for writing the img to an SD card...I guess that's what the installer is good for...or would be, if it worked... Smile

RE: OSX Installer broken, can't boot from latest image - CurlyMo - 19th May, 2015 05:30 PM

Can you join this:
https://github.com/xbianonpi/xbian/issues/675

RE: OSX Installer broken, can't boot from latest image - partap - 20th May, 2015 02:41 AM

(19th May, 2015 05:30 PM)CurlyMo Wrote:  Can you join this:
https://github.com/xbianonpi/xbian/issues/675

Can I build the OSX installer from the repo? I couldn't find it...

RE: OSX Installer broken, can't boot from latest image - thewebexpert - 31st May, 2015 12:29 PM

(19th May, 2015 02:46 PM)partap Wrote:  I just got my rpi 2, and I'm trying to install xbian on it.

Unfortunately, the installer fails to run now... I'm getting a weird /bin/sh error, although the installer doesn't appear to be a shell script: Screenshot

I'm running OSX Yosemite 10.10.3.

Then I figured I could just try directly loading the latest img file form the website, but that's not working either.

Maybe I'm just doing it wrong... I used dd to write the img file directly to my SD card, but it doesn't boot. Also, I noticed that it only partitioned about 1 GB of my 16 GB SD card, which makes sense, since that's the size of the img file... obviously I need a different method for writing the img to an SD card...I guess that's what the installer is good for...or would be, if it worked... Smile

you do not need the installer ... just download and unzip the img file.
in shell cd Downloads,
run sudo dd if=file.img of=/dev/rdisk2 bs=2m

it writes the file in about 30 seconds.

Cheers
Derek

RE: OSX Installer broken, can't boot from latest image - partap - 1st Jun, 2015 02:58 AM

(31st May, 2015 12:29 PM)thewebexpert Wrote:  you do not need the installer ... just download and unzip the img file.
in shell cd Downloads,
run sudo dd if=file.img of=/dev/rdisk2 bs=2m

As I mentioned in my initial post, that didn't work either...

I was able to get it working using the Windows installer, just wondering what's up with the OSX installer...

RE: OSX Installer broken, can't boot from latest image - thewebexpert - 1st Jun, 2015 08:26 AM

dd always works, the installers just do what dd does, it is a very low level call.

on osx, you probably just have to go into disk management and unmount the drive (not eject it) and double check it is rdisk2 and not a different number (for example if you had a usb drive plugged in, your xbmc card could be rdisk3.)

Derek

RE: OSX Installer broken, can't boot from latest image - partap - 1st Jun, 2015 11:33 AM

I've used dd to write bootable SD cards many times, but the xbian image I tried would not boot. A 1GB partition was created on the card after writing, so it seemed to have worked, but it wouldn't boot.

I didn't investigate it any further, since the windows installer worked later...just reporting it...

Maybe when I tried the windows installer it downloaded a newer img file ...dunno...

RE: OSX Installer broken, can't boot from latest image - 3vi13d - 25th Sep, 2015 06:14 PM

Same problem here - OSX version of the installer from Sourceforge - error..

/bin/sh: -c: line 0: syntax error near unexpected token `3'
/bin/sh: -c: line 0: `/Users/Ed/Downloads/XBian-installer-OSX (3)/XBian-installer.app/Contents/MacOS/XBian-installer' (2)

RE: OSX Installer broken, can't boot from latest image - CurlyMo - 25th Sep, 2015 07:29 PM

Please post this on github.