Forum
Official way to stop and restart kodi without reboot? - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Others (/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: Official way to stop and restart kodi without reboot? (/thread-3016.html)

Pages: 1 2

Official way to stop and restart kodi without reboot? - Otaku Wally - 3rd Jun, 2015 11:52 PM

Hi,

I am currently wondering, if there is an "official" way to stop and restart kodi without having to reboot. The reason why I am doing this is because CEC still gives me a headache and I usually use "kill -s HUP <some kodi pid>" to let it automatically restart itself. However I just had the problem for the second time today that kodi would hang in a loop trying to restart itself and obviously

sudo -u xbian -g xbian -s /usr/local/lib/kodi/kodi.bin --standalone -fs --lircdev /run/lirc/lircd

does not work 100% when run from a remote terminal. So is there ANY way to dot it?

Thanks in advance!

RE: Official way to stop and restart kodi without reboot? - CurlyMo - 4th Jun, 2015 12:24 AM

Code:
service xbmc stop
service xbmc start
Seems pretty obvious Smile

RE: Official way to stop and restart kodi without reboot? - Otaku Wally - 4th Jun, 2015 02:27 AM

(4th Jun, 2015 12:24 AM)CurlyMo Wrote:  
Code:
service xbmc stop
service xbmc start

Oh my, please gimme a bullet ;-) Thanks!

Code:
service xbmc stop
service xbmc start

Doing a service start results in the same restart-loop unfortunately :-( There seems to be nothing useful in the kodi logfile though ...

Any hints what I could look for to see what is causing that? I hate to restart when my transmission is just running that good ;-)

RE: Official way to stop and restart kodi without reboot? - deHakkelaar - 4th Jun, 2015 07:35 AM

Sounds like you have other major issues as stopping and starting XBMC/Kodi should work without trouble.
Have you tried another power source for you Pi ?
You could also up the log level to debug in:
XBMC/Kodi --> Settings --> System --> Debugging

RE: Official way to stop and restart kodi without reboot? - Otaku Wally - 4th Jun, 2015 06:45 PM

Yeah, thanks but no the power is good since months. And switching on debug level is hard when Kodi shows up for at best some milliseconds ;-) Where can it be switched on WITHOUT GUI (where is the setting stored)?

RE: Official way to stop and restart kodi without reboot? - Otaku Wally - 4th Jun, 2015 08:22 PM

Well, I am not sure if the warning and the error in the kodi.log has anything in common with the repeating restarts, but they are at the moment the only possible causes I can see, so here it is:

Read the forum rules

RE: Official way to stop and restart kodi without reboot? - Otaku Wally - 5th Jun, 2015 09:31 PM

Now XBian does the restart-loop just after a fresh reboot :-(

RE: Official way to stop and restart kodi without reboot? - Peiote - 17th Apr, 2016 07:55 PM

Code:
service xbmc stop
service xbmc start

Not working:

Terminal
$ service kodi stop
-bash: service: command not found

Neither this:
Terminal
$ systemctl stop kodi
Failed to get D-Bus connection: Unknown error -1

RE: Official way to stop and restart kodi without reboot? - Skywatch - 17th Apr, 2016 08:08 PM

Try.....
Terminal

sudo service xbmc stop
sudo service xbmc start

Things are not always what you would expect them to be! Smile

RE: Official way to stop and restart kodi without reboot? - Peiote - 17th Apr, 2016 08:11 PM

(17th Apr, 2016 08:08 PM)Skywatch Wrote:  Try.....
Terminal

sudo service xbmc stop
sudo service xbmc start

Things are not always what you would expect them to be! Smile

True.....

Thanks Blush

RE: Official way to stop and restart kodi without reboot? - Skywatch - 17th Apr, 2016 08:35 PM

No Problem! Smile

RE: Official way to stop and restart kodi without reboot? - Nachteule - 17th Apr, 2016 10:57 PM

Once again Dodgy

Xbian uses Upstart so, correct commands are:

Terminal

sudo stop xbmc

sudo start xbmc

@Skywatch
Seems you have forgotten this again Tongue

RE: Official way to stop and restart kodi without reboot? - IriDium - 18th Apr, 2016 04:59 AM

So I assume, one day it will be:

Terminal
sudo stop kodi

sudo start kodi
or will a link be provided so both work?

RE: Official way to stop and restart kodi without reboot? - Skywatch - 18th Apr, 2016 06:43 AM

I asked this a while back Iridium and was informed it will remain as xbmc.

Seems to go against the times and will confuse noobs who never knew what xbmc was and only want the new kodi....

RE: Official way to stop and restart kodi without reboot? - Peiote - 18th Apr, 2016 06:56 AM

Old-school rules
XD