Forum
How to configure and access a local USB drive? - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Configuration (/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: How to configure and access a local USB drive? (/thread-302.html)

How to configure and access a local USB drive? - thecodeman - 21st Jan, 2013 03:44 AM

I just installed the latest version of Xbian to a SD card and I'm using it with Raspberry Pi version B. Access over the network works great. I want to use it as a portable player with an external USB drive. I have looked for tutorials on this but haven't found specifics. Not being a Unix user, I'm looking for a little guidance.

I have a 2.5 USB drive connected to the Raspberry Pi via a powered USB hub. I can see the drive in the boot code but when I check all the options in XBMC, I don't see the drive. I've tried both NTFS and FAT32 volumes. I want to retain the ability to copy movies to the USB drive in Windows.

Can anyone point me in the direction on how to mount or make available a local USB drive and what format type would be the best to use so I can play movies >4GB in file size?

Any help would be most appreciated.

How to configure and access a local USB drive? - Koenkk - 21st Jan, 2013 10:20 AM

The drive should automatically mount and will appear under for example Videos -> Files -> [nameofthedisk]. A notification in XBMC (right bottom corner) will also appear when a disk gets mounted (replug your drive while you see XBMC). If this is not the case we need to look deeper into this issue.

P.S. NTFS is fine