Forum
Downgrade to XBMC 13.2 Gotham on RPi2 - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Installation (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Downgrade to XBMC 13.2 Gotham on RPi2 (/thread-3029.html)

Pages: 1 2

Downgrade to XBMC 13.2 Gotham on RPi2 - tommyv - 10th Jun, 2015 09:05 PM

Hello,

Couldn't find if this has been already asked/answered:

Is it possible to downgrade to XBMC 13.2 Gotham on Raspberry Pi 2 ?

Thank you very much in advance

RE: Downgrade to XBMC 13.2 Gotham on RPi2 - iris.v - 16th Jun, 2015 05:32 AM

(10th Jun, 2015 09:05 PM)tommyv Wrote:  Is it possible to downgrade to XBMC 13.2 Gotham on Raspberry Pi 2 ?

BUMP! I've been searching for an answer to the same question (though mine's a RPi model B).

I'd also be happy with an old image so I can start over from scratch with Gotham (on sourceforge there seems to be gap between the 2012 and 2013 releases in the archive folder and the 2015 releases in the release folder).

Any help would be much appreciated!

RE: Downgrade to XBMC 13.2 Gotham on RPi2 - CurlyMo - 16th Jun, 2015 07:10 AM

Just search google how to downgrade packages with apt.

RE: Downgrade to XBMC 13.2 Gotham on RPi2 - iris.v - 16th Jun, 2015 08:03 AM

(16th Jun, 2015 07:10 AM)CurlyMo Wrote:  Just search google how to downgrade packages with apt.

Thanks for the response! You mean with apt-get install <package>=<version>, right? That's what I tried last week, but there was only one version available and that failed to install due to unmet dependencies. After that, it all got rather messy so I can't reproduce the exact errors.

There's a detailed writeup for the downgrading process over on the Kodi wiki, but it's for Apple TV. It says, "Due to the name change, the steps for downgrading between Kodi (starting at v14 and up) to XBMC (v13.2 and lower) requires slightly different steps" - could that also be why my downgrade attempt with apt failed?

RE: Downgrade to XBMC 13.2 Gotham on RPi2 - CurlyMo - 16th Jun, 2015 08:32 AM

If downgrading doesn't work well, please post an issue about it on github. It should be supported.

RE: Downgrade to XBMC 13.2 Gotham on RPi2 - iris.v - 16th Jun, 2015 03:44 PM

(16th Jun, 2015 08:32 AM)CurlyMo Wrote:  If downgrading doesn't work well, please post an issue about it on github. It should be supported.

Will do! Which package should I be downgrading and to which version (so I can post the results on github)?

And just to be clear, you're saying the kodi/xbmc name change thing is not an issue when downgrading on Xbian? Or it shouldn't be?

RE: Downgrade to XBMC 13.2 Gotham on RPi2 - tommyv - 16th Jun, 2015 06:32 PM

(16th Jun, 2015 08:32 AM)CurlyMo Wrote:  If downgrading doesn't work well, please post an issue about it on github. It should be supported.

Should downgrading be supported on RPi2 as well ?

RE: Downgrade to XBMC 13.2 Gotham on RPi2 - CurlyMo - 16th Jun, 2015 07:15 PM

XBian is XBian no matter what platform.

RE: Downgrade to XBMC 13.2 Gotham on RPi2 - tommyv - 16th Jun, 2015 07:38 PM

(16th Jun, 2015 08:03 AM)iris.v Wrote:  
(16th Jun, 2015 07:10 AM)CurlyMo Wrote:  Just search google how to downgrade packages with apt.

Thanks for the response! You mean with apt-get install <package>=<version>, right? That's what I tried last week, but there was only one version available and that failed to install due to unmet dependencies. After that, it all got rather messy so I can't reproduce the exact errors.

There's a detailed writeup for the downgrading process over on the Kodi wiki, but it's for Apple TV. It says, "Due to the name change, the steps for downgrading between Kodi (starting at v14 and up) to XBMC (v13.2 and lower) requires slightly different steps" - could that also be why my downgrade attempt with apt failed?

Have you perhaps tried this as well ?

http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Kodi_for_Linux#Downgrading_to_a_stable_version_from_a_development_ver​sion_2

RE: Downgrade to XBMC 13.2 Gotham on RPi2 - iris.v - 16th Jun, 2015 08:04 PM

(16th Jun, 2015 07:38 PM)tommyv Wrote:  Have you perhaps tried this as well ?

http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Kodi_for_Linux#Downgrading_to_a_stable_version_from_a_development_ver​sion_2

There it says "If you have existing settings then they probably won't migrate well to the older version. Especially add-ons and library data. It is recommended that you start fresh (delete the userdata folder and parent .kodi/.xbmc folder) or restore from a backup that works with the older version you are installing."

I think just starting fresh, with a completely new installation, is the easiest way - I have old backups of my userdata folder, so that's no problem. But I can't find an appropriate Xbian image to use.
As I said in my first post in this thread:
(16th Jun, 2015 05:32 AM)iris.v Wrote:  I'd also be happy with an old image so I can start over from scratch with Gotham (on sourceforge there seems to be gap between the 2012 and 2013 releases in the archive folder and the 2015 releases in the release folder).

I've tried using the oldest available image in the installer, which I think is also the oldest available version on http://sourceforge.net/projects/xbian/files/release/ but that turned out to be kodi, not xbmc. So now I'm testing the newest available image from the archive folder, but that's from 2013! Where have all the 2014 images gone?

RE: Downgrade to XBMC 13.2 Gotham on RPi2 - tommyv - 16th Jun, 2015 08:08 PM

(16th Jun, 2015 08:04 PM)iris.v Wrote:  
(16th Jun, 2015 07:38 PM)tommyv Wrote:  Have you perhaps tried this as well ?

There it says "If you have existing settings then they probably won't migrate well to the older version. Especially add-ons and library data. It is recommended that you start fresh (delete the userdata folder and parent .kodi/.xbmc folder) or restore from a backup that works with the older version you are installing."

I think just starting fresh, with a completely new installation, is the easiest way - I have old backups of my userdata folder, so that's no problem. But I can't find an appropriate Xbian image to use.
As I said in my first post in this thread:
(16th Jun, 2015 05:32 AM)iris.v Wrote:  I'd also be happy with an old image so I can start over from scratch with Gotham (on sourceforge there seems to be gap between the 2012 and 2013 releases in the archive folder and the 2015 releases in the release folder).

I've tried using the oldest available image in the installer, which I think is also the oldest available version on http://sourceforge.net/projects/xbian/files/release/ but that turned out to be kodi, not xbmc. So now I'm testing the newest available image from the archive folder, but that's from 2013! Where have all the 2014 images gone?

Unfortunately I still don't have Rpi2 to try this, but my logic would be to install latest Xbian image and then downgrade Kodi to Xbmc Gotham, are you trying to do the same ?

(16th Jun, 2015 07:15 PM)CurlyMo Wrote:  XBian is XBian no matter what platform.

Just wondered whether the Gotham binaries exist for Rpi2 as it is a quite recent piece of hw... Do you know perhaps ?

RE: Downgrade to XBMC 13.2 Gotham on RPi2 - CurlyMo - 16th Jun, 2015 08:21 PM

Only the kernel is separately build for RPi2.

RE: Downgrade to XBMC 13.2 Gotham on RPi2 - iris.v - 16th Jun, 2015 08:37 PM

(16th Jun, 2015 08:08 PM)tommyv Wrote:  Unfortunately I still don't have Rpi2 to try this, but my logic would be to install latest Xbian image and then downgrade Kodi to Xbmc Gotham, are you trying to do the same ?

I first tried downgrading, but unfortunately, my attempt to downgrade my active Xbian installation failed or only partially worked, I'm not sure. That installation is now rather buggy and reboots a lot.

But I have plenty of SD cards, so I'm trying everything! On another SD card, I've tried installing a Xbian version from March 2015, hoping that'd include Gotham by default, but that one already included Kodi (or perhaps it updates automatically during first boot?). I discarded that one and now I'm trying the newest image from the archive, which is beta 1.1 and comes with XBMC 12.2. I hope to be able to upgrade to XBMC 13.x from there. I've only just imported my userdata, so I'll have to see how I get on with this one.
If that fails, I'll try installing the latest and downgrading from there. In my experience, upgrading has been a lot easier than downgrading, so that's why I'm trying that route first.

In the mean time, I'm also still searching the internet to see if someone still has an xbian image from late 2014 which comes with XMBC 13.x by default. I'm really kicking myself for not having saved complete images of my installation when everything still worked!!

RE: Downgrade to XBMC 13.2 Gotham on RPi2 - tommyv - 16th Jun, 2015 08:38 PM

(16th Jun, 2015 08:37 PM)iris.v Wrote:  
(16th Jun, 2015 08:08 PM)tommyv Wrote:  Unfortunately I still don't have Rpi2 to try this, but my logic would be to install latest Xbian image and then downgrade Kodi to Xbmc Gotham, are you trying to do the same ?

I first tried downgrading, but unfortunately, my attempt to downgrade my active Xbian installation failed or only partially worked, I'm not sure. That installation is now rather buggy and reboots a lot.

But I have plenty of SD cards, so I'm trying everything! On another SD card, I've tried installing a Xbian version from March 2015, hoping that'd include Gotham by default, but that one already included Kodi (or perhaps it updates automatically during first boot?). I discarded that one and now I'm trying the newest image from the archive, which is beta 1.1 and comes with XBMC 12.2. I hope to be able to upgrade to XBMC 13.x from there. I've only just imported my userdata, so I'll have to see how I get on with this one.
If that fails, I'll try installing the latest and downgrading from there. In my experience, upgrading has been a lot easier than downgrading, so that's why I'm trying that route first.

In the mean time, I'm also still searching the internet to see if someone still has an xbian image from late 2014 which comes with XMBC 13.x by default. I'm really kicking myself for not having saved complete images of my installation when everything still worked!!

If you don't really need to stick to Xbian for some reason, you can try Openelec 4.2.1 for Rpi, it contains 13.2 Gotham

RE: Downgrade to XBMC 13.2 Gotham on RPi2 - iris.v - 16th Jun, 2015 08:50 PM

(16th Jun, 2015 08:38 PM)tommyv Wrote:  If you don't really need to stick to Xbian for some reason, you can try Openelec 4.2.1 for Rpi, it contains 13.2 Gotham

Thanks for the tip!

When I first got my pi, I tried openelec, raspbmc and xbian, and decided xbian was best, but now my loyalties are seriously waning!