Forum
[PROBLEM] Can not control XMBC through CEC HDMI Onkyo AVR with it's remote control - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Kodi (/forum-18.html)
+---- Forum: Kodi Settings (/forum-36.html)
+---- Thread: [PROBLEM] Can not control XMBC through CEC HDMI Onkyo AVR with it's remote control (/thread-3032.html)

Can not control XMBC through CEC HDMI Onkyo AVR with it's remote control - jakenl - 12th Jun, 2015 10:51 PM

I can't get XBMC to cooperate with my Onkyo remote control through the HDMI cable, it won't find anything within XBMC

My setup:
RPI 2 with Xbian -> HDMI -> Onkyo TX-NR535S (AVR) -> HDMI -> 1980x1200 Dell pc monitor

Actions in RPI:
When I go to the settings @ pheripical devices, I see something mentioned about the CEC, but with the following parameters
---------------------------------
generic_video,hdmi_video
Product ID: 0000 Manufacturer (I think this is the English equivalent) 0000
Class: video Version: Unknown
---------------------------------
When I click on that box, I can only choos whether it should remember it's resolution setting at reboot, if I remember correctly, nothing that has to do with the remote control

Actions in the Onkyo AVR:
I put CEC on. It says "connecting...." and then "raspberry", so it seems to find it. I switched HDMI cables once from a 0.5mtr to 1.5mtr and back, but no result.

Anywhere I read on the internet, I read that it should work 'out of the box', but I'm stuck.

RE: Can not control XMBC through CEC HDMI Onkyo AVR with it's remote control - deHakkelaar - 13th Jun, 2015 11:41 PM

Have a look here:
http://forum.xbian.org/thread-3025.html

EDIT: And maybe this one is related so keep an eye:
https://github.com/xbianonpi/xbian-package-cec/issues/3

RE: Can not control XMBC through CEC HDMI Onkyo AVR with it's remote control - jakenl - 14th Jun, 2015 01:15 AM

Thanks for the link! I followed the steps as pointed out there. Now I have a 2nd device in the list of pheripicals: the CEC adapter with all it's options. When I now turn off and on CEC on my AVR, it now says XBIAN instead of raspberry. So far so good, however, not a single bit of control via the remote. Do I need to change options for the CEC adapter in Kodi?

RE: Can not control XMBC through CEC HDMI Onkyo AVR with it's remote control - deHakkelaar - 14th Jun, 2015 01:28 AM

Maybe the wiki is of any help:
http://wiki.xbian.org/doku.php/remotes

EDIT: Sorry, looks like that wiki is LIRC related and not CEC.
I cant test at the mo but you can check if the Pi can see keypresses on the remote with below one:

Terminal
cec-client

RE: Can not control XMBC through CEC HDMI Onkyo AVR with it's remote control - jakenl - 14th Jun, 2015 06:03 AM

With the cec-client command I see no response with the physical remote of the receiver, but with the Onkyo app on my phone, cec-client detects all buttons with the right text (like stop/play/pause/top/left/right/down/green/yellow/red/blue) etc. Unfortunately neither the physical nor the 'virtual' remote (the app) does a thing in Kodi. I tried to change the paramater 'Physical address'(overwrite HDMI Port' from the default 0 to 1 (the port on the AVR where the RPI is connected to). This value doesn't 'stick' but is lost during reboot.
On the Pulse CEC-adapter Wiki I see that there is an option to change to what HDMI device the adapter is connected to (0=TV and 5=AVR)., where 0 is default. I don't see that option within XBMC

Edit: I ran cec-client -m for a while and tried other things, like physical port 1000 (more for non-CEC capable amplifiers). When I entered the XBMC CECadapter setup once again, I all of a sudden could select the HDMI port (which is 1 in my case) + the option to select to what source it is connected (TV or Amplifier). I set that all correct and hurray, via the Onkyo app I now can control the Kodi/XBMC. The physical Onkyo remote doesn't do anything still, I see no response during the cec-client -m monitoring either. The commands from the Onkyo app do come through 100%

After a reboot of Xbian, I don't see the HDMI port and connected device option anymore and I have no control through either the Onkyo app or remote itself. Now I don't even get it back.

Playing with the cec-client with a command like:
% echo "on 5" | cec-client -s
% echo "standby 5" | cec-client -s

works well. It turns off and on the Onkyo receiver without a problem.

I have no clue where the conflict Kodi < > Onkyo is in, definitely RPI and Onkyo are good friend on the command line

RE: Can not control XMBC through CEC HDMI Onkyo AVR with it's remote control - deHakkelaar - 14th Jun, 2015 09:03 PM

The app might transmit CEC via network instead of your HDMI cable, not sure.
Have you checked your cable, need to be HDMI v1.4 I believe, or tried another HDMI cable ?
I believe the Kodi logs should display those keypresses as well even though Kodi might not be able to translate (maybe need to flip on debug logging in kodi):

Terminal
tailf /home/xbian/.kodi/temp/kodi.log

RE: Can not control XMBC through CEC HDMI Onkyo AVR with it's remote control - deHakkelaar - 14th Jun, 2015 09:42 PM

Ps. i noticed a new cec package being available :

Terminal
$ apt-get -u upgrade
The following packages have been kept back:
xbian-package-cec
The following packages will be upgraded:
xbian-package-initramfs-tools

Run "xbian-config --> upgrade" to upgrade the cec package.

RE: Can not control XMBC through CEC HDMI Onkyo AVR with it's remote control - jakenl - 16th Jun, 2015 05:27 AM

(14th Jun, 2015 09:42 PM)deHakkelaar Wrote:  Ps. i noticed a new cec package being available :

Terminal
$ apt-get -u upgrade
The following packages have been kept back:
xbian-package-cec
The following packages will be upgraded:
xbian-package-initramfs-tools

Run "xbian-config --> upgrade" to upgrade the cec package.
I installed the package as described, thanks for that! Unfortunately it doesn't help.

I follow what's going on with cec-client -m while Kodi is running.
-during the first boot of Kodi it worked rightaway. When Kodi is booted, I see in the right bottom corner that the Pulse CEC Adapter has been updated and 'connected to TV' (while I have a pc monitor hooked up to the AVR)
- when I stop/start the xbmc service, it doesn't work anymore. When I go to the CEC-adapter settings and scroll through the settings and click 'OK', I also get the "Pulse CEC-Adapter" updated and 'connected to TV'. When I see that, the Onkyo app works again.
-when I stop/start xbmc service once again, none of the above 'tricks' work anymore.
-When the Onkyo app worked to control Kodi, I pulled the Wifi adaptor of the Pi, to make sure that the app really used the HDMI cable and not the network. As expected, the app kept controlling Kodi without a working wifi connection to the Pi

Some of the logs I get while monitoring the cec-client on my tablet:

Terminal

WARNING: [ 212830] unhandled response received: opcode=82 initiator=e destination=f response=
WARNING: [ 212950] unhandled response received: opcode=82 initiator=e destination=f response=
WARNING: [ 214151] unhandled response received: opcode=82 initiator=e destination=f response=
WARNING: [ 214271] unhandled response received: opcode=82 initiator=e destination=f response=
WARNING: [ 216621] unhandled response received: opcode=0 initiator=e destination=0 response=1
WARNING: [ 216712] unhandled response received: opcode=0 initiator=e destination=0 response=1
WARNING: [ 216802] unhandled response received: opcode=0 initiator=e destination=0 response=1
WARNING: [ 216892] unhandled response received: opcode=0 initiator=e destination=0 response=1
WARNING: [ 217012] unhandled response received: opcode=82 initiator=e destination=f response=
WARNING: [ 217132] unhandled response received: opcode=82 initiator=e destination=f response=
WARNING: [ 218333] unhandled response received: opcode=82 initiator=e destination=f response=
^Csignal caught: 2 - exiting
DEBUG: [ 218407] unregistering all CEC clients
DEBUG: [ 218407] unregistering all CEC clients
WARNING: [ 218453] unhandled response received: opcode=82 initiator=e destination=f response=
DEBUG: [ 219069] UnregisterLogicalAddress - releasing previous logical address
DEBUG: [ 219069] logical address changed to Broadcast (f)
xbian@xbian ~ $
Does that ring a bell?

What I see when I switch ON CEC on the Onkyo receiver:
Terminal

WARNING: [ 2440] unhandled response received: opcode=82 initiator=e destination=f response=
TRAFFIC: [ 3013] >> 5f:84:10:00:05
DEBUG: [ 3013] >> Audio (5) -> Broadcast (F): report physical address (84)
DEBUG: [ 3014] Audio (5): physical address changed from ffff to 1000
DEBUG: [ 3014] device Audio (5) status changed to present after command report physical a
ddress
TRAFFIC: [ 3466] >> 5f:87:00:09:b0
DEBUG: [ 3466] >> Audio (5) -> Broadcast (F): device vendor id (87)
DEBUG: [ 3466] Audio (5): vendor = Onkyo (0009b0)
DEBUG: [ 3466] replacing the command handler for device 'Audio' (5)
WARNING: [ 4731] unhandled response received: opcode=0 initiator=e destination=0 response=1
WARNING: [ 4822] unhandled response received: opcode=0 initiator=e destination=0 response=1
WARNING: [ 4912] unhandled response received: opcode=0 initiator=e destination=0 response=1
WARNING: [ 5002] unhandled response received: opcode=0 initiator=e destination=0 response=1
WARNING: [ 5122] unhandled response received: opcode=82 initiator=e destination=f response=
WARNING: [ 5242] unhandled response received: opcode=82 initiator=e destination=f response=
^Csignal caught: 2 - exiting
DEBUG: [ 5657] unregistering all CEC clients
DEBUG: [ 5657] unregistering all CEC clients
DEBUG: [ 6045] UnregisterLogicalAddress - releasing previous logical address
DEBUG: [ 6046] logical address changed to Broadcast (f)

I also followed the advice to see what the kodi.log would tell me. Here is a piece that I captured after I rebooted Xbian once again:

Terminal

23:18:24 T:1840182288 DEBUG: CecLogMessage - >> POLL not sent
23:18:24 T:1768944656 DEBUG: webserver: request received for /jsonrpc
23:18:25 T:1840182288 DEBUG: Previous line repeats 1 times.
23:18:25 T:1840182288 DEBUG: CecLogMessage - << Recorder 1 (1) -> TV (0): POLL
23:18:25 T:1840182288 DEBUG: CecLogMessage - << 10
23:18:25 T:1840182288 DEBUG: Previous line repeats 1 times.
23:18:25 T:1840182288 DEBUG: CecLogMessage - >> POLL not sent
23:18:26 T:1840182288 DEBUG: CecLogMessage - << Recorder 1 (1) -> TV (0): POLL
23:18:26 T:1840182288 DEBUG: CecLogMessage - << 10
23:18:26 T:1768944656 DEBUG: Previous line repeats 1 times.
23:18:26 T:1768944656 DEBUG: webserver: request received for /jsonrpc
23:18:26 T:1840182288 DEBUG: CecLogMessage - >> POLL not sent
23:18:26 T:1768944656 DEBUG: webserver: request received for /jsonrpc
23:18:27 T:1840182288 DEBUG: CecLogMessage - << Recorder 1 (1) -> TV (0): POLL
23:18:27 T:1840182288 DEBUG: CecLogMessage - << 10
23:18:27 T:1840182288 DEBUG: Previous line repeats 1 times.
23:18:27 T:1840182288 DEBUG: CecLogMessage - >> POLL not sent

etc, etc

Is it possible that hdmi 2.0 has anything to do with it? My receiver die support that. Would it be too new?

RE: Can not control XMBC through CEC HDMI Onkyo AVR with it's remote control - deHakkelaar - 17th Jun, 2015 12:50 AM

(16th Jun, 2015 05:27 AM)jakenl Wrote:  -When the Onkyo app worked to control Kodi, I pulled the Wifi adaptor of the Pi, to make sure that the app really used the HDMI cable and not the network. As expected, the app kept controlling Kodi without a working wifi connection to the Pi

How is the app able to communicate to the Pi if network is disconnected ?
Is your Onkyo connected on the network (app-->network-->Onkyo-->HDMI-->Pi) or does your pad/phone transmit via infrared (app-->IR-->Onkyo-->HDMI-->Pi) ?

I cant help alot as I believe my AV receiver is too old for CEC but maybe someone else with Onkyo can help.

Ps. a little side note, HDMI 1.4 cables include ethernet as well.

RE: Can not control XMBC through CEC HDMI Onkyo AVR with it's remote control - jakenl - 17th Jun, 2015 02:07 AM

(17th Jun, 2015 12:50 AM)deHakkelaar Wrote:  
(16th Jun, 2015 05:27 AM)jakenl Wrote:  -When the Onkyo app worked to control Kodi, I pulled the Wifi adaptor of the Pi, to make sure that the app really used the HDMI cable and not the network. As expected, the app kept controlling Kodi without a working wifi connection to the Pi

Is your Onkyo connected on the network (app-->network-->Onkyo-->HDMI-->Pi) or does your pad/phone transmit via infrared (app-->IR-->Onkyo-->HDMI-->Pi) ?

I cant help alot as I believe my AV receiver is too old for CEC but maybe someone else with Onkyo can help.

The Pi is normally connected to Wifi for internet and to HDMI for audio/video to the AVR.
The Onkyo app communicates with the Onkyo receiver via WiFi
The Onkyo remote communicates with the Onkyo receiver via IR and does that very well for all other receiver operations

I pulled the Wifi dongle, so the only communication left was through the HDMI cable. I doubt it if the receiver forwards network signals through the HDMI cable, I haven't seen anything like that in the documentation. Moreover Yatse wasn't able to connect anymore, the same for Putty. Therefore I assume that there was no network connection. I was happy that the Onkyo app worked that time, I at least was able to reboot the Pi to initiate the Wifi dongle again.

RE: Can not control XMBC through CEC HDMI Onkyo AVR with it's remote control - jakenl - 25th Jun, 2015 11:17 PM

(17th Jun, 2015 02:07 AM)jakenl Wrote:  
(17th Jun, 2015 12:50 AM)deHakkelaar Wrote:  

The Pi is normally connected to Wifi for internet and to HDMI for audio/video to the AVR.
The Onkyo app communicates with the Onkyo receiver via WiFi
The Onkyo remote communicates with the Onkyo receiver via IR and does that very well for all other receiver operations

I pulled the Wifi dongle, so the only communication left was through the HDMI cable. I doubt it if the receiver forwards network signals through the HDMI cable, I haven't seen anything like that in the documentation. Moreover Yatse wasn't able to connect anymore, the same for Putty. Therefore I assume that there was no network connection. I was happy that the Onkyo app worked that time, I at least was able to reboot the Pi to initiate the Wifi dongle again.

I got it to work!!!

It took me 2 steps.

First one was to have stable connection with the Onkyo app, so that it works any time after I either reboot Kodi or turn off/on the AVR:

Terminal

# Connect TV directly with HDMI
tvservice -d ~/edid.dat
sudo cp ~/edid.dat /boot/edid.dat
# plug it in to avr again (as you had before)
Add this to config.txt:
Terminal

hdmi_edid_file=1
hdmi_force_edid_audio=1
After a reboot I lost the option to select my native resolution 1920x1200 and the highest one was 1920x1080. Now, a couple days later, I have no problem with the 1920x1200. No idea.

2nd step to get the hardware remote to work:
I unplugged the analog cables of my DVD player from the BD/DVD ports and plugged them in to CD/TV.... unbelievable, but true!