Forum
[PROBLEM] Copying files to the SD card - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Configuration (/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: [PROBLEM] Copying files to the SD card (/thread-3053.html)

Copying files to the SD card - tttapa - 1st Jul, 2015 07:04 PM

Hello

I'm new to XBian (stable release for Raspberry Pi 2), and i've been trying to get some media files on the sdcard (32GB, so there should be enough space). I read on this forum that it's not possible to mount the card on my Ubuntu pc. I tried resizing the partitions, and created a fat partition as well, where I put my music and movies, but XBian doesn't recognize it... I tried a usb pendrive, when I plugged it into the Pi, I could access the files on it in Kodi, but I couldn't find a 'copy' option. (An external hard disk didn't work for me, it doesn't spin up, even with a 5A power supply, is there a way to get this working without a powered usb hub?)
Then I tried copying everything over the network. Ubuntu sees a remote login and a media share, but the media share is not writable, so no luck either...

What is the best/easiest/fastest way to get my media files on the SD card? Or is this simply not possible?

Thanks in advance
Tttapa

RE: Copying files to the SD card - IriDium - 20th May, 2016 03:38 AM

Personally I would never have my media on the same "drive" as my operating system. Especially a SD drive.

All external HDD need a powered HUB on the RPi. (You CAN play with the power settings, but not recommended)

I use a 64GB Flash Drive, formatted as ext4 and just use sftp (Filezilla on Ubuntu) to copy files (Or just unmount it and copy from the Ubuntu machine)