Forum
[SOLVED] Upgrading to Jessie - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Configuration (/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: [SOLVED] Upgrading to Jessie (/thread-3090.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Upgrading to Jessie - syco - 25th Oct, 2015 08:11 AM

(24th Oct, 2015 07:02 PM)CurlyMo Wrote:  Eithe way:
1. Make backups, or
2. Put your configuration on a NAS and symlink towards it,

I'm using the latter so i can have my system up and running in no-time.

Can you provide a step by step tut for the latter?

RE: Upgrading to Jessie - CurlyMo - 26th Oct, 2015 03:58 AM

No, just search on the internet for making symlinks. It isn't more then that.

RE: Upgrading to Jessie - alcina - 14th Nov, 2015 04:30 AM

Just to say I appear to have sucessfully upgraded to Jessie on my RPi2. Note though I do NOT have an I2S DAC attached, however I do use the tv remote and therefore need to have the CEC working (which it now does!). The upgrade wasn't particularly straight forward though.

First I cloned my SD card just in case Angel, and unmounted all the nfs mounts of my NAS, and nobbled /etc/fstab to prevent them trying to mount at startup (there was a particularly alarming line during the initial upgrade that said something like "unable to delete /mnt as it is not empty"!!!) Then, after doing the basic apt-get update/upgrades I got as far as the massive gazillion new packages to install. It automatically installed about half and held back the rest. I manually installed all the rest in one go (apt-get install packagename1, packagename2, packagename3) except the xbian packages. I then installed libcec3 (apt-get install libcec3) which prompted me to run apt-get autoremove to remove packages that were no longer required.

The next apt-get update/upgrade automatically installed xbian-package-xbmc but held back xbian-update. Then I manually installed xbian-update (apt-get install xbian-update). This removed xbian-package-cec and installed the older libcec libraries and seemed to force a reboot. At this point I ran downstairs to the tv to see if it all came up ok, which was a modified success: it rebooted and kodi started up, but it thought my tv was an old 4:3 low-definition screen, so I reset all the video output settings. In doing so I discovered that the tv remote didn't work. I reset all the CEC settings using the kodi smart-phone app but still no joy. Sad (Note - it may just have needed another reboot here, I didn't actually try that).

Back in the office I sshed in and ran apt-get update/upgrade again. This time I was told I had requested an impossible situation:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
xbian-package-libtag : Conflicts: libtag1-vanilla
E: Broken packages

As I had the cloned SD to revert back to, and I don't actually use this media sever to listen to music (libtag is a meta-data library for audio files), after comparing apt-cache policy for libtag1-vanilla (part of debian stable release) and xbian--package-libtag (listed in the dpkg log file but not in any current repository) I installed libtag1-vanilla during which it removed xbian-package-libtag and installed a number of other libraries. Cool Another apt-get update/upgrade and this time I was offered to upgrade several packages including xbian-package-firmware and downgrade 3 curl packages.

Another apt-get update/upgrade and then apt-get autoremove to remove a tiff4 library, and then finally no more packages were offered and my system was deemed up to date. Big Grin So I re-enabled the nfs mounts in /etc/fstab, rebooted and went back to the TV.

Kodi all came up, my nfs mounts all happened, the tv screen was glorious 16:9 high-def, and....the tv remote worked! I don't know if the lack of xbian-package-libtag will affect people who do use kodi to listen to music, however I assume it's not actually part of the current xbian package as it's not listed in the current repository (correct me if I'm wrong!). However whilst xbian-package-libtag was installed on my system the package manager would proceed no further, so I had to try something!

Many, many, many thanks to everyone's hard work for getting xbian running on the Raspberry Pi! Off now to have a beer and watch some films on my new media server Smile

RE: Upgrading to Jessie - CurlyMo - 14th Nov, 2015 09:03 AM

Thanks for the verbose report and your compliments, much appreciated! We know it's something difficult to do to the XBian updates, but our goal is to let users upgrade their system, no matter what. I proud of our developers to still reach that goal.