Forum
RPI as a A2DP Transmitter only for mp3 - possible? - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Configuration (/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: RPI as a A2DP Transmitter only for mp3 - possible? (/thread-3184.html)

RPI as a A2DP Transmitter only for mp3 - possible? - elvito - 23rd Oct, 2015 09:20 AM

Hello,

I bought a couple of days ago the original 7" touch display for the RPI. I want to build a small box for my kids where they can listen to their favorite CDs (CDs got lot of scratches...they're kids Smile ) by just tipping on the screen. Kodi seems perfect because I can customize a skin, so it will be easy enough for my kids (3+5 years) to use it. I don't need any video support just mp3 and ogg. I additionally bought an BT Stick and a cheap water- and shockproof BT speaker so they can take the speaker around their room. I thought it would be easy to set up a system for this scenario. I first tried openelec and raspbmc without success to send the audio to the speaker. I learned that A2DP is not (yet) supported by openelec and raspbmc, although I don't understand exactly why not (I'm no IT-guru). Finally I was able with raspbian wheezy (and an apt-getted kodi) to set up a working BT connection between speakers and the RPI (followed mainly this guide --> https://wiki.debian.org/BluetoothUser/a2dp). In Kodi the sound from the menu (navigation sound) is transmitted to the speakers, but if I start a mp3 the sound stops. I read in this forum that the cause is the omxplayer which is hardcoded into Kodi (right so far?). Xbian is advertised as highly cutomizable, so I thought it would maybe possible to change the audioplayer from omxplayer to vlc or something like that? If my plan with this audiobox for my kids is insane or impracticably it would be nice if someone here could give me a hint, before I start frustrating "try and error" for the next weeks.

thanks in advance
cheers elvito

p.s. I like your btrfs approach, btrfs saved me already lots of hours with my linuxdesktop Smile

RE: RPI as a A2DP Transmitter only for mp3 - possible? - IriDium - 9th Apr, 2016 03:51 AM

A2DP is available in the Xbian-config packages. However by the sound of it, you don't need Kodi but a RPi music player - of which there are many.

RE: RPI as a A2DP Transmitter only for mp3 - possible? - belese - 29th Apr, 2016 05:28 AM

a2dp package won't work on Debian Jessie, since it use bluez5.
and a2dp package is for bluez4.

RE: RPI as a A2DP Transmitter only for mp3 - possible? - IriDium - 29th Apr, 2016 06:03 AM

I recently read a few web pages where it's possible to do what you want but not with Xbian.

There seems to be issues with the bluetooth setup but if you google "raspberry pi bluetooth music player" you'll see a number of hits which will give you a guide to setting them up. Most use runeaudio or volumio as the basic setup.

RE: RPI as a A2DP Transmitter only for mp3 - possible? - Nachteule - 29th Apr, 2016 06:47 AM

(29th Apr, 2016 05:28 AM)belese Wrote:  a2dp package won't work on Debian Jessie, since it use bluez5.
and a2dp package is for bluez4.

Shouldn't be big problem building new package for Jessie Huh

RE: RPI as a A2DP Transmitter only for mp3 - possible? - IriDium - 30th Apr, 2016 12:35 AM

See Thread