Forum
Install a new wifi adapter in XBian/Kodi - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Installation (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Install a new wifi adapter in XBian/Kodi (/thread-3210.html)

Install a new wifi adapter in XBian/Kodi - Zeror - 5th Nov, 2015 06:14 AM

Hi, im new to Xbian and i have question regarding wifi setup.

Software
XBian version: XBian_2015.10.25_rpi2
XBMC/Kodi version: don't know / latest??
Overclock settings: none

Hardware
Device type and model (e.g. Raspberry Pi Model A/B 256/512 MB, CuBox-i i4Pro, ...): Raspberry Pi 2 Model B 1GB
Power supply rating: dont know
SD card size and make/type: Sandisk 32GB
Network (Ethernet or wireless): Wireless
Connected devices (TV, USB, network storage, ...): HDMI (TV), USB (Rapoo Mouse), USB (Rapoo keyboard), USB (Linksys AC580 wifi adapter)

Problem description:
I've just bought a Raspberry Pi for Kodi. I installed the XBian Pi image and so far it's working great, but at the place i want to use Raspberry Pi/Kodi i don't have a networkcable. So i bought a wifi USB adapter i'd like to use, but i don't know how to install it. I got a Linksys AC580 wifi adapter.

How can i install it?

RE: Install a new wifi adapter in XBian/Kodi - StartledCat - 5th Nov, 2015 09:40 PM

In theory (assuming kodi is up and running and you can navigate to...) ...plug in the wifi adapter in a usb slot on the pi (not sure, but a restart may be required), in kodi from the main user interface, open System->Settings->Xbian....assuming that loads ok, click on System - the first entry is Network - this should show the standard link (eth0?) ...if you click on the up/down arrows next to this, you should be able to see your wireless wifi (possibly as wlan0)...this is the one you then need to supply a password for....click on the SSID entry and it should start scanning, then list the wireless connections available - select one and then set the password etc....

[sorry if a tad vague as am battling with the 2015.10.31 release as it's not allowing the xbian settings to load, mucks up the video....tearing out me hair!!1]

RE: Install a new wifi adapter in XBian/Kodi - Zeror - 6th Nov, 2015 01:52 AM

(5th Nov, 2015 09:40 PM)StartledCat Wrote:  In theory (assuming kodi is up and running and you can navigate to...) ...plug in the wifi adapter in a usb slot on the pi (not sure, but a restart may be required), in kodi from the main user interface, open System->Settings->Xbian....assuming that loads ok, click on System - the first entry is Network - this should show the standard link (eth0?) ...if you click on the up/down arrows next to this, you should be able to see your wireless wifi (possibly as wlan0)...this is the one you then need to supply a password for....click on the SSID entry and it should start scanning, then list the wireless connections available - select one and then set the password etc....

[sorry if a tad vague as am battling with the 2015.10.31 release as it's not allowing the xbian settings to load, mucks up the video....tearing out me hair!!1]

Tried that. I don't see a wireless wifi thing in the Network settings. Not even after a restart of the Pi.

RE: Install a new wifi adapter in XBian/Kodi - StartledCat - 6th Nov, 2015 02:52 AM

OK - have been trawling and I think it comes down to Linksys/Cisco do not supply open source drivers. BUT, I did find this on Amazon:
"I was looking for a cheap wifi adapter that supports 5 GHz for Raspberry Pi B+ and Raspberry Pi 2 B. I had to compile the driver available from Mediatek, but it works great. Great for value."...but could find no such driver....

Might be worth more investigation? Or maybe just buy another one (I know - it's a tad annoying) which is open source (e.g. I am using these http://thepihut.com/collections/raspberry-pi-wifi/products/usb-wifi-adapter-for-the-raspberry-pi)