Forum
How to set up VNC connection? - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Configuration (/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: How to set up VNC connection? (/thread-3268.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: How to set up VNC connection? - spleencheese - 26th Jun, 2017 04:04 AM

(26th Jun, 2017 03:18 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  First, I have to ask again, what is the screen resolution you are using.

It seems that Pi is booting with 1920 x 1080p (look into log, first message init_fb() ...)

But when you are connecting VNC client, a resolution of 1280 x 1024 is detected (look into log again, second message init_fb() ...). And that's confusing me Huh

1280X1024p Is the resolution it's set to.

(26th Jun, 2017 04:04 AM)spleencheese Wrote:  
(26th Jun, 2017 03:18 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  First, I have to ask again, what is the screen resolution you are using.

It seems that Pi is booting with 1920 x 1080p (look into log, first message init_fb() ...)

But when you are connecting VNC client, a resolution of 1280 x 1024 is detected (look into log again, second message init_fb() ...). And that's confusing me Huh

1280X1024p Is the resolution it's set to.

My goodness! I changed the resolution to 1920x 1080p and VNC works! I had to re-calibrate the screen as a lot of it was missing (it was too big for the television) but it now works very well.

It's an improvement on iOS too - it stays connected...until there's movement on the screen and then disconnects. I can live with that.

Thank you so much for your help with this. You're a star.

RE: How to set up VNC connection? - Nachteule - 26th Jun, 2017 06:20 AM

(26th Jun, 2017 04:04 AM)spleencheese Wrote:  My goodness! I changed the resolution to 1920x 1080p and VNC works! I had to re-calibrate the screen as a lot of it was missing (it was too big for the television) but it now works very well.

It's an improvement on iOS too - it stays connected...until there's movement on the screen and then disconnects. I can live with that.

Thank you so much for your help with this. You're a star.

Good news from your side Smile and I have good news from my side also Smile

Screen resolution change when Kodi starts was issue in vnc-server or not supported and never tested, but I was able to reproduce it and fixed that. Niew version will be available tomorrow Smile Have to test a bit more ...

RE: How to set up VNC connection? - spleencheese - 26th Jun, 2017 06:29 AM

Good news (I think!)

I'm glad that in some way I've managed to help make things better.

Thanks again for your help. I've made a donation.

RE: How to set up VNC connection? - Nachteule - 26th Jun, 2017 07:00 AM

(26th Jun, 2017 06:29 AM)spleencheese Wrote:  Good news (I think!)

Indeed Smile

Quote:I'm glad that in some way I've managed to help make things better.

And thanks for your good communication, that makes working easier Dodgy

Quote:Thanks again for your help. I've made a donation.

Thanks

RE: How to set up VNC connection? - spleencheese - 29th Jun, 2017 03:38 AM

OK. Sorry, but I have a follow up question. I can't use 1920x 1080p as the screen and audio get out of sync and start to lag at that resolution. Is there any way I can use VNC at 1280 x 1024?
If so, what do I need to change and how?

RE: How to set up VNC connection? - Nachteule - 29th Jun, 2017 07:24 PM

(29th Jun, 2017 03:38 AM)spleencheese Wrote:  OK. Sorry, but I have a follow up question. I can't use 1920x 1080p as the screen and audio get out of sync and start to lag at that resolution. Is there any way I can use VNC at 1280 x 1024?
If so, what do I need to change and how?

The only way to use lower resolution is to set resolution you want in Kodi's System settings. Dynamically using lower resolution when VNC connection is activ is currently not working. But 1280x1024 is bad idea, because it has bad aspect ratio of 5:4, better use 1280x720

RE: How to set up VNC connection? - Nachteule - 29th Jun, 2017 08:03 PM

@spleencheese

Can you please explain what you want to do?

I have no issue playing video on my RPi1 with 1920x1080 resolution while VNC connection is active.

RE: How to set up VNC connection? - Nachteule - 29th Jun, 2017 10:11 PM

(26th Jun, 2017 04:04 AM)spleencheese Wrote:  It's an improvement on iOS too - it stays connected...until there's movement on the screen and then disconnects. I can live with that.

Hmmm Dodgy, tested VNC connection from my pre-historic Samsung Google Nexus, using this client, works like a charm Smile

RE: How to set up VNC connection? - spleencheese - 30th Jun, 2017 12:08 AM

Quote:Can you please explain what you want to do?

I have no issue playing video on my RPi1 with 1920x1080 resolution while VNC connection is active.

No worries. I did a sudo apt-get update/upgrade and VNC is working fine from the windows client. I think it's even slightly more responsive at the resolution you suggested. Smile

bVNC viewer isn't available on the iOS app store so I still have the re-connection problem through my phone but that's not the end of the world.