Forum
[PROBLEM] Most videos won't play. I have tried everything - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Others (/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: [PROBLEM] Most videos won't play. I have tried everything (/thread-3296.html)

Most videos won't play. I have tried everything - adnox - 16th Jan, 2016 06:21 AM

Software
XBian version: 1.0 (knockout) (kernel: Linux 4.1.13+)
XBMC/Kodi version: 15.2
Overclock settings: N/A

Hardware
Device type and model: Raspberry Pi 2 Model B 1GB
Power supply rating: 5V 2A
SD card size and make/type: 16GB
Network (Ethernet or wireless): Ethernet
Connected devices (TV, USB, network storage, ...): TV, VPN, SMB

Log files
Link to logfile(s): https://paste.ee/p/X0myF

Problem description:
I have been working on getting the Pi setup just right so I can use it as a media center. I am connecting through a PPTP VPN to my Linux server which is in another location. I thought that would be the hard part... I can connect to the VPN and see all movies in the library with the Pi but only certain movies will play and even that is iffy. I have searched everywhere on the internet and I can not find any solution to this. Any help would be great.

Now with my laptop/desktop/work laptop/friends laptop everything works fine through the VPN. When connected to the same network on 2 different Raspberry Pi's everything works. I thought it was the VPN at first but then I got a couple movies to play.

To speed up the search "South Park: Bigger, Longer, Uncut" is one of the working movies. "Kill Bill: Volume 1" is one of many that will not play.

How to reproduce:
Playing movies

RE: Most videos won't play. I have tried everything - Skywatch - 17th Jan, 2016 01:09 AM

Try putting the movies on the pi SD card. That will tell us if it is the pi or somewhere else (try ones that both worked and didn't work from the server via VPN).

Maybe it is a codec issue, what format are the movies in? Are they all the same format and resolution? Did you rip them yourself with all the same settings?

Also, make an effort to find details of your power supply and rating. IF in doubt get a quality 5V 2A and try again.

RE: Most videos won't play. I have tried everything - adnox - 22nd Jan, 2016 07:09 AM

The movies are all .MP4 and if I put them on the microSD card they worked. I am able to stream them fine on all other devices currently connected to the same server. Power supply is 5V 2A and I updated the original post to reflect that. I was hoping something could be found in the logs but with everything I have searched I can't figure it out.

RE: Most videos won't play. I have tried everything - Skywatch - 25th Jan, 2016 06:52 PM

It is good that they work from the SD card, that eliminates a lot of things.

Seems then that the problem is with the streaming. Have you tried with a 'normal' (non-vpn) connection to see if that works? Do all other devices use the same VPN? Are you using NFS or Samba?