Forum
[PROBLEM] Boot loop - init process... - loading... - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Installation (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: [PROBLEM] Boot loop - init process... - loading... (/thread-3305.html)

Boot loop - init process... - loading... - AvanOsch - 22nd Jan, 2016 08:43 PM

Software
XBian version: 2016.01.10.rpi2
XBMC/Kodi version: latest
Overclock settings: default (none)

Hardware
Device type and model: Raspberry Pi2
Power supply rating: 5V 2A
SD card size and make/type: Kingston 16GB
Network (Ethernet or wireless): Ethernet
Connected devices (TV, USB, network storage, ...): TV

Log files
Link to logfile(s):

Problem description:
After installing and setting up XBian (kodi, boblight, extensions, and some other stuff) I get this boot loop.
Last time the system was working properly, I ssh'd into the RPi2.
When exiting the menu, I got a message stating a reboot was required.
I manually rebooted, and got the boot loop ever since.

I tried editing config.txt and put back default values.
I tried without Ethernet connection and without any USB devices connected.
I tried another power supply
I tried to access the SD "xbian" partition, but can't mount it on my Linux Mint 17.1 machine.

I'd like to get back to where I was (without having to start from scratch), as I do not have any backups of my work so far.
Can someone help getting my system back up?

RE: Boot loop - init process... - loading... - IriDium - 23rd Jan, 2016 04:14 AM

I believe this problem has been reported for the 2016.01.16.rpi2 but not the 2016.01.10.rpi2.

You might be able to find a btrfs manager for Linux so you can edit the "xbian" partition, but I'm not too sure what you could do there.

You must have done "something", which you haven't mentioned, that required a reboot.

If you upgraded then it could be the kernel. Unless anyone else has any ideas, I think you need to go back to square one and loose your work.

As is always the case, backup, backup, backup. Xbian provides tools for this, and there are other options available.

Also, IMHO, never upgrade a "live" machine without a) having a backup and b) running on a test machine first, to ensure all is Ok.

RE: Boot loop - init process... - loading... - AvanOsch - 23rd Jan, 2016 05:13 AM

(23rd Jan, 2016 04:14 AM)IriDium Wrote:  You must have done "something", which you haven't mentioned, that required a reboot.

If you upgraded then it could be the kernel. Unless anyone else has any ideas, I think you need to go back to square one and loose your work.

As is always the case, backup, backup, backup. Xbian provides tools for this, and there are other options available.

Thanks for your reply.
I can imagine I ran an (automatic?) update.

I develop a lot of php stuff, and always tell everyone to run backups before doing anything else... Fail on my part.
Luckily I have setup my Kodi database in MySQL on another system.
I also have most of the changes, configuration files and setup-steps noted down for future reference.

If nobody else knows any way of getting things back, I'll start over.

RE: Boot loop - init process... - loading... - starous - 7th Mar, 2016 04:23 AM

Hello,
I have the same problem. I have added the stage repo to upgrade to kodi 16. After restart I got stuck in a loop of colorful square and black screen. What next?

RE: Boot loop - init process... - loading... - Nachteule - 7th Mar, 2016 05:00 AM

@starous
Bad power supply?
What about overclocking?

RE: Boot loop - init process... - loading... - starous - 7th Mar, 2016 05:07 AM

I have a 5V 2000mA PSU.
From what I remember, my overclocking is xbian overclock. Can I check it from mounting the SD card under Windows? What should I have there?

RE: Boot loop - init process... - loading... - IriDium - 7th Mar, 2016 05:17 AM

What next!!!

Always before upgrading or altering anything - make a backup. Xbian gives you the tools, so you can recover, also many OS allow you to read and then write the SD card to an img file.

Or better still, upgrade on a "new" SD card and see if it works - for the sake of £2 for a 2G SD card it has to be worth it

I'm guessing here, but if you hold down the <shift> key during boot, it should bring you too a rescue shell. From there, either use btrfs tools to recover from a snapshot (No I don't know the commands - never needed to)

Or possibly, remove "staging" from sources, and upgrade. It might :-) revert the changes.

RE: Boot loop - init process... - loading... - starous - 7th Mar, 2016 05:23 AM

I have a back up made by btrfs, but don't know anything about it.
I'll try you advice with the shift button.
Could it be a problem with the new 4.4.0 kernel?

RE: Boot loop - init process... - loading... - Nachteule - 7th Mar, 2016 06:28 AM

Quote:Could it be a problem with the new 4.4.0 kernel?

Please install 4.1.x kernel and see what happens. I'm using 4.4.x kernel for weeks without any issues (but usually I'm building my own kernel because I need/want some more options)