Forum
Raspberry pi 3 released today.... - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Community (/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Other news (/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Raspberry pi 3 released today.... (/thread-3415.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Raspberry pi 3 released today.... - grisse - 3rd Mar, 2016 09:46 PM

(3rd Mar, 2016 04:31 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  
Quote:Well to use the new ARMv8 of course... but it should work with the ARMv7 image of the Pi2 no?
I really don't know what happens if this .dtb file is missing (it is needed for the firmware boot loader to enable hardware devices)
I t may work but I would expect strange things ...

Quote:Yes i know it will not use 64 bit mode/advantages... but it's still a Cortex A53 vs a A7 .
Exactly

Dear All,

I´ll be getting a Rpi3 today, and I wonder if this indeed will work right now with the latest Rpi2 build - obviously not (yet) fully utilizing the CPU architecture, but at least without no modifications of any kind?

Thanks!

RE: Raspberry pi 3 released today.... - bairdy - 4th Mar, 2016 02:06 AM

(3rd Mar, 2016 04:31 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  
Quote:Well to use the new ARMv8 of course... but it should work with the ARMv7 image of the Pi2 no?
I really don't know what happens if this .dtb file is missing (it is needed for the firmware boot loader to enable hardware devices)
I t may work but I would expect strange things ...

Quote:Yes i know it will not use 64 bit mode/advantages... but it's still a Cortex A53 vs a A7 .
Exactly

Got a pi3 yesterday, just adding the new dtb doesnt work, we get flashing green lights of firmware doom due to not reading the firmware files we currently use (possibly down to using older firmware) on a working rpi2 image, after rebuilding the firmware package with the newer firmware files the lights act normally but left with a black screen. a possible kernel rebuild is needed to support the cpu like we separate the rpi and rpi2 to support the new cpu but not to sure if as i dont do kernels and know exactly how the xbian one is built

on the other hand trying the osmc image doesnt work as they haven't even included the firmware files, but openelc rpi2 image works a charm and theres even an a good bit of extra performance compared to rpi2 even without the 64bit support.

RE: Raspberry pi 3 released today.... - Skywatch - 4th Mar, 2016 05:05 AM

(4th Mar, 2016 02:06 AM)bairdy Wrote:  openelc rpi2 image works a charm and theres even an a good bit of extra performance compared to rpi2 even without the 64bit support.

That is very interesting!

Thanks for posting.

S.

RE: Raspberry pi 3 released today.... - bairdy - 4th Mar, 2016 10:36 AM

been running most the afternoon now with xbian a image is now available have found a couple a bugs but can be fixed easy which was mainly a config issue when moving from pi2 to pi3 due to udev assigning different names to network adapters and missing a firmware file for the wireless but have been able to stream 1080p video around 10mbps stream with dts audio over the built in wireless adapter from my nas with not even buying any of the foundations codecs with no stuttering just had issues with vc1 not decoding to good on the cpu.

RE: Raspberry pi 3 released today.... - grisse - 4th Mar, 2016 06:08 PM

Got my pi3 yesterday, and tried with a fresh install of xbian for pi2, which just gave me a black screen. But the latest OSMC built did the trick, running with no issues, although I did not test bluetooth and wifi.

RE: Raspberry pi 3 released today.... - Nachteule - 4th Mar, 2016 08:38 PM

Look here: http://www.xbian.org/preliminary-raspberry-pi-3-support/

bairdy already tested this image successfully (incl. wlan, but not bt)

RE: Raspberry pi 3 released today.... - bairdy - 4th Mar, 2016 08:55 PM

(4th Mar, 2016 06:08 PM)grisse Wrote:  Got my pi3 yesterday, and tried with a fresh install of xbian for pi2, which just gave me a black screen. But the latest OSMC built did the trick, running with no issues, although I did not test bluetooth and wifi.

if you currently do a clean install from rpi2 image you will have to enable the devel in
Terminal
/etc/apt/sources.list.d./xbian.list
and run
Terminal
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

and all should be good to move the sd card

RE: Raspberry pi 3 released today.... - syco - 7th Mar, 2016 09:30 AM

Still not enough CPU power
for h.256 movies?

What a pity.

RE: Raspberry pi 3 released today.... - f1vefour - 7th Mar, 2016 03:58 PM

(7th Mar, 2016 09:30 AM)syco Wrote:  Still not enough CPU power
for h.256 movies?

What a pity.
No the C2 is a much better option for media playback, especially h265 and 4K.

RE: Raspberry pi 3 released today.... - syco - 7th Mar, 2016 10:49 PM

(7th Mar, 2016 03:58 PM)f1vefour Wrote:  
(7th Mar, 2016 09:30 AM)syco Wrote:  Still not enough CPU power
for h.256 movies?

What a pity.
No the C2 is a much better option for media playback, especially h265 and 4K.

But there is no Xbian for the Odroid C2, right?

RE: Raspberry pi 3 released today.... - Nachteule - 7th Mar, 2016 11:39 PM

Odroid C2 - sounds really good Big Grin

RE: Raspberry pi 3 released today.... - f1vefour - 8th Mar, 2016 05:10 AM

No XBian for C2, could be but their isn't.

I have had one for a few weeks, it is a nice device.

RE: Raspberry pi 3 released today.... - syco - 8th Mar, 2016 09:18 AM

(8th Mar, 2016 05:10 AM)f1vefour Wrote:  No XBian for C2, could be but their isn't.

I have had one for a few weeks, it is a nice device.

How did you put Kodi on it then or which one?

RE: Raspberry pi 3 released today.... - Nachteule - 8th Mar, 2016 09:27 AM

I would assume he did NOT (AFAIK still no working KODI for this device available)

RE: Raspberry pi 3 released today.... - f1vefour - 8th Mar, 2016 10:05 AM

No using Kodi for Android, Amlogic hasn't released the necessary libraries to Hardkernel yet.

Android works really well, I have played a 100mbit 4K hevc video without issue in Kodi.

I have been told there is an issue with interlaced content but I haven't experienced it while watching TV from my tvheadend server.

Really not the thread to discuss this, I was just saying the C2 is what you would want to pick up if hevc or 4k is important to you, if not the Pi3 is a fine device.