Forum
Xbian Rpi3 install - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Installation (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Xbian Rpi3 install (/thread-3425.html)

Xbian Rpi3 install - Ewoud Bakker - 5th Mar, 2016 07:27 AM

I've downloaded the img. Put it on my sd using windisk imager but when i put it in the rpi3 it does nothing.

am i missing something here?

RE: Xbian Rpi3 install - Nachteule - 5th Mar, 2016 08:41 AM

No, maybe the image is not burned correctly. And you downloaded and flashed the pre rpi3 image?

RE: Xbian Rpi3 install - Nachteule - 5th Mar, 2016 08:58 AM

You also can put this sd-card in your RPi2. Just tested, works ok

RE: Xbian Rpi3 install - Ewoud Bakker - 5th Mar, 2016 09:25 AM

Yeh flashed the pre rpi3 image will tinker further tomorrrow

RE: Xbian Rpi3 install - duno - 6th Mar, 2016 01:38 AM

I have some questions about the rpi 3 and xbian.
I thought it is an 64bit board (armv8), how is it possible that it is working with the same software as
the rpi 2 (armv7) is using?

I thought the rpi 3 needs a 64bit kernel and also 64bit libraries, isn't it?

And where can I download the "pre rpi3 image" ?
Thanks in advance

RE: Xbian Rpi3 install - Nachteule - 6th Mar, 2016 03:03 AM

@duno

It is exactly the same sw, only kernel and firmware has to take care of the new device

Look here for getting it

RE: Xbian Rpi3 install - duno - 24th Mar, 2016 04:33 AM

(6th Mar, 2016 03:03 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  It is exactly the same sw, only kernel and firmware has to take care of the new device

@Nachteule
I received my pi 3, installed XBian_2016.03.04_rpi2.img via dd on an 32GB sdcard.

First, I changed devel to staging in the
Code:
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbian.list

Code:
1 ##deb mirror://apt.xbian.org/mirror.txt      stable  main rpi2-jessie
2 deb mirror://apt.xbian.org/mirror.txt  staging main rpi2-jessie
3 ##deb mirror://apt.xbian.org/mirror.txt  devel   main rpi2-jessie

because, there is no HowTo in

Testing & Experimental

After some apt update ... upgrade ... full-upgrade

(that "apt"-command was also new for me ...)

I get, after an "uname -a", now:

Linux zwerg3 4.4.6+ #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Mar 19 01:34:10 CET 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux

btw., nice date Wink

But cat "/proc/cpuinfo" is still showing an armv7.

Code:
processor    : 0
model name    : ARMv7 Processor rev 4 (v7l)

Is that normal?

Btw., "apt-file update" can't handle your mirror, I think, there is an Index missing, "ls-lR.gz" ?

I was able to install bind9, isc-dhcp-server, squid3 and hostapd.

So the rpi 3 is now also an access-point, but I do not understand, that some peoples have in their

iwconfig

Tx-Power=1496 dBm

Is that a fake?

iwconfig tells me

Tx-Power=31 dBm

and that is "ok" compared with an TP-Link TL-WN722N (20 dBm).

Any idea?

Huh

RE: Xbian Rpi3 install - Nachteule - 24th Mar, 2016 06:26 AM

Quote:But cat "/proc/cpuinfo" is still showing an armv7.

Code:
processor    : 0
model name    : ARMv7 Processor rev 4 (v7l)

Is that normal?

Yes it is. RPi3 is still running in 32bit mode

Quote:Tx-Power=1496 dBm

Is that a fake?

Oh yes, do not believe everything you can find in the net Big Grin

RE: Xbian Rpi3 install - Morgan.Sullivan - 24th Mar, 2016 10:54 PM

Hi,

Newcomer to this forum here.. also newcomer to all things Pi..

I had no trouble installing the Pi3 image (via Win32 Disk Imager, since it was not available on the win installer). Booted ok and got few system updates already. Very impressed!

I must say that I am quite impressed with XBian. I've only been playing with OpenElec for like a week since I've got the Pi3, nothing wrong with it, but XBian feels lot more snappier. Boots really quick, local content plays as it is supposed to (Pi3 connected via AV receiver), no problems with DD/DTS. Even online content starts playing faster. I would consider making XBian my main media player if only it was available thru NOOBS...

I am having problems, tho, with NFS. I'm sharing 4 folders on my NAS (DS413j) and, while I have no problems accessing with OpenElec, with XBian is a bit of hit and miss. All 4 folders have the exact same permissions but XBian is always having trouble with only one of them (the others only few times). Unfortunately this is the one folder I would like to access the most since it holds a Kodi backup (from OpenElec) so I don't need to reconfigure it all.

Has anybody else seen this problem with NFS?

I do understand that this image is in beta stage, but I thought I could report it (I wish I knew how to fix it myself).

Also, I would like to add XBian to my "NOOBS card" but I've not been able to find a way to do it... Could you point me in the right direction? ATM, I am using two cards "the NOOBS" one with Raspbian, OpenElec, OSMC (which I'd like to get rid of), and a second one with XBian. I like the idea of having Raspbian and XBian on the same card.

This is a really good project! Good stuff!!

RE: Xbian Rpi3 install - Nachteule - 25th Mar, 2016 12:54 AM

Quote:I must say that I am quite impressed with XBian. I've only been playing with OpenElec for like a week since I've got the Pi3, nothing wrong with it, but XBian feels lot more snappier. Boots really quick, local content plays as it is supposed to (Pi3 connected via AV receiver), no problems with DD/DTS. Even online content starts playing faster. I would consider making XBian my main media player if only it was available thru NOOBS...

Good to hear Smile
I don't know NOOBS, but I would assume it will never be possible to integrate XBian in NOOBS because we are requiring own Kernel and BTRFS as root fs and are not using the standard kernel.

Quote:Has anybody else seen this problem with NFS?

No.
A little bit more info's please. How did you configure these shares? Within Kodi, or autofs, of fstab? I'm using NFS with XBian for a long time - never had problems

Quote:I do understand that this image is in beta stage, but I thought I could report it (I wish I knew how to fix it myself).

This part is not beta

Quote:Also, I would like to add XBian to my "NOOBS card" but I've not been able to find a way to do it... Could you point me in the right direction? ATM, I am using two cards "the NOOBS" one with Raspbian, OpenElec, OSMC (which I'd like to get rid of), and a second one with XBian. I like the idea of having Raspbian and XBian on the same card.

See above. If I understand NOOBS correctly, it installs one OS and starts it. And if you want to use a different OS, it overwrites the already installed with the new one - does this makes sense Huh