Forum
384KHz Audio (FLAC) Support. - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Hardware (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Video and Audio (/forum-28.html)
+--- Thread: 384KHz Audio (FLAC) Support. (/thread-3445.html)

384KHz Audio (FLAC) Support. - Skywatch - 15th Mar, 2016 10:57 PM

Hi all,

Just to say that today I tested a 384KHz, 32bit float FLAC file (Which is about the same as 24bit normal AFAICT) on a Pi 2 with Xbian and a PCM5102a DAC, and it works really well!

Up until now, 192KHz was the highest I could play. So the newer updates have brought this level of quality to our humble pi setups - Wow!

Just in case you didn't know, were wondering, or were waiting for this to try it out!

RE: 384KHz Audio (FLAC) Support. - Nachteule - 16th Mar, 2016 12:50 AM

Thanks for reporting

Sometimes updates make things better Tongue

RE: 384KHz Audio (FLAC) Support. - Skywatch - 17th Mar, 2016 07:55 PM

(16th Mar, 2016 12:50 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  Sometimes updates make things better Tongue

Only 'sometimes'? Tongue

Trouble with 384 is the file size though, they are HUGE!

RE: 384KHz Audio (FLAC) Support. - rikardo1979 - 18th Mar, 2016 01:52 AM

to be honest guys, even 192kHz is nonsense Smile
I have been into highend HiFi for some time, probably more than 15 years...
Human hearing can not ever gain anything from this

But nice to read that it does work Wink

RE: 384KHz Audio (FLAC) Support. - Skywatch - 19th Mar, 2016 07:48 AM

Don't confuse 'frequency response' with waveform accuracy! Tongue

The more samples per second, the more accurate the resulting waveform as less interpolation 'read guess work' is needed.

RE: 384KHz Audio (FLAC) Support. - rikardo1979 - 19th Mar, 2016 08:51 AM

(19th Mar, 2016 07:48 AM)Skywatch Wrote:  Don't confuse 'frequency response' with waveform accuracy!
The more samples per second, the more accurate the resulting waveform as less interpolation 'read guess work' is needed.
just one of the many out there https://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

RE: 384KHz Audio (FLAC) Support. - Skywatch - 19th Mar, 2016 09:21 AM

Everyone has a right to thier own opinion, but not everyone can be right.

I worked in pro audio for decades, but now I leave those who care about it to learn, research and draw their own conclusions.

I did not attempt to tell people what to think. I made no claims about what I have tried. I just reported the fact that it worked.

End of.

RE: 384KHz Audio (FLAC) Support. - rikardo1979 - 19th Mar, 2016 03:18 PM

(19th Mar, 2016 09:21 AM)Skywatch Wrote:  Everyone has a right to thier own opinion, but not everyone can be right.

I worked in pro audio for decades, but now I leave those who care about it to learn, research and draw their own conclusions.

I did not attempt to tell people what to think. I made no claims about what I have tried. I just reported the fact that it worked.

End of.

And that is perfectly fine and what I meant.
I do have all my locally stored collection in FLAC, I do use Tidal HiFi, we do have a CDs but I still prefer vinyl Tongue https://goo.gl/xqJUlL

I think that going higher than 24 bit 192kHz we can not actually gain anything...but as you said, its just an opinion

RE: 384KHz Audio (FLAC) Support. - PhobicWitty - 4th Jan, 2017 04:02 PM

Wow, that's definitely amazing, because i am also looking for a way to raise sample rate of audio to make the output sound realer. I once used a converter to change the sample rate into 480khz and it is definitely wonderful. It is also a mp3 resizer that can downscale your audio file while you improve the bit rate and sample rate with 0% quality loss!

RE: 384KHz Audio (FLAC) Support. - gkusiak - 12th Dec, 2019 11:29 AM

(19th Mar, 2016 07:48 AM)Skywatch Wrote:  Don't confuse 'frequency response' with waveform accuracy! Tongue

I have worked in audio production my entire career since University for it - I can't stress enough how true this is at the capture/recording phase, the mixing phase, the mastering phase...but for final delivery of visual media: 48kHz, 24bit is plenty for stereo and surround formats (especially now with 4k as ubiquitous as it is becoming).
For music, however, I want to hear the performers sweat. My main converters do DSD 2x and the auditory cues lending to space are ridiculous. There is a difference between each stradivarius, just as there is a a difference between each Guarnieri. I swear I can hear the electricity in the wires in the building next to the hall and which direction it's travelling: the listener deserves to get as close to that as possible if they can't be there in person. I wish I made my living in that extreme resolution world...but I doubt I would dream at night because my days would be so vivid and detailed!

FLAC is awesome...but if the source was less than ideal, garbage in = garbage out, so make sure the entire production was high bitrate or there's no point looking for the files.