Forum
MPG3 video errors - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Kodi (/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: MPG3 video errors (/thread-346.html)

Pages: 1 2

MPG3 video errors - Koenkk - 2nd Feb, 2013 10:13 AM

(1st Feb, 2013 10:27 AM)gravypod Wrote:  
(1st Feb, 2013 09:05 AM)Koenkk Wrote:  unfortunately I don't have good news. The video file is containing a video codec which is not supported (yet). Will check the video file on a regular base (I collect all video files that aren't working Smile)

Thanks for the help! Should I report this to their github? Also, is there a google doc somewhere I can just put up bugs?

No, this isn't a bug its an unsupported codec which is unfortunately something we just have to deal with Sad However they made add support for this codec in the future.

RE: MPG3 video errors - Phaeton - 9th Feb, 2013 10:03 AM

Does this mean Xbian does not support AVI files? When I play them I get a black screen & audio.

Alan...

MPG3 video errors - Koenkk - 9th Feb, 2013 03:44 PM

@Phaeton if you have the moeg2/vc1 license and they dont play this codec isn't supported by the raspberry pi. A black screen is a symptom of this. Howver all the .avi files i tested worked without problems, so can you please share it?

Re: MPG3 video errors - rikardo1979 - 9th Feb, 2013 06:27 PM

just tested the sample and it won't play on RPi as mentioned
i'm afraid that for this particular file we do not have a fix
and as @Koen said that .avi files usually plays fine without problems, and for me this is the first one what is not working

RE: MPG3 video errors - raspberry_pd - 10th Feb, 2013 04:56 AM

(9th Feb, 2013 10:03 AM)Phaeton Wrote:  Does this mean Xbian does not support AVI files? When I play them I get a black screen & audio.

Alan...
Hi

Graypod's file contains a DivX 3 video stream Alan.

DivX 3 is not supported by the Raspberry Pi.

avi, mkv, mp4 etc are all file containers.

Each of these containers will generally include a video stream and at least one audio stream. These streams are will have been encoded with codecs, which are generally separate to containers. Therefore you may have an avi file that contains a DivX 3 video stream and an mp3 audio stream. The Raspberry Pi will therefore play the avi file but only the audio stream and a blank screen because the Raspberry Pi supports the mp3 audio codec but not the DivX 3 video codec.

However just as frequently avi files contain a video stream encoded in XviD and an audio stream encoded in mp3. These files would therefore be avi files but they would play both video and audio because the Raspberry Pi supports both XviD and mp3 codecs.

Hope that answer is not too long winded but to say that the Raspi doesn't support a certain file container (such as avi) is incorrect however it is still possible that some avi files (such as those that include a DivX3 video stream) will not playback completely.

RE: MPG3 video errors - gravypod - 24th Feb, 2013 06:54 AM

(10th Feb, 2013 04:56 AM)raspberry_pd Wrote:  
(9th Feb, 2013 10:03 AM)Phaeton Wrote:  Does this mean Xbian does not support AVI files? When I play them I get a black screen & audio.

Alan...
Hi

Graypod's file contains a DivX 3 video stream Alan.

DivX 3 is not supported by the Raspberry Pi.

avi, mkv, mp4 etc are all file containers.

Each of these containers will generally include a video stream and at least one audio stream. These streams are will have been encoded with codecs, which are generally separate to containers. Therefore you may have an avi file that contains a DivX 3 video stream and an mp3 audio stream. The Raspberry Pi will therefore play the avi file but only the audio stream and a blank screen because the Raspberry Pi supports the mp3 audio codec but not the DivX 3 video codec.

However just as frequently avi files contain a video stream encoded in XviD and an audio stream encoded in mp3. These files would therefore be avi files but they would play both video and audio because the Raspberry Pi supports both XviD and mp3 codecs.

Hope that answer is not too long winded but to say that the Raspi doesn't support a certain file container (such as avi) is incorrect however it is still possible that some avi files (such as those that include a DivX3 video stream) will not playback completely.

Is there any way this could be fixed? Almost every other media player I have seen can play this. Any help/fixes would be appreciated

RE: MPG3 video errors - Koenkk - 24th Feb, 2013 06:57 AM

If the video file contains an unsupported codec, no. However the raspberry pi company sometimes add support for new codecs, so if ur lucky..... ;p