Forum
[IDEA] *** Feature Request *** - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Others (/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: [IDEA] *** Feature Request *** (/thread-3509.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

*** Feature Request *** - Skywatch - 7th Apr, 2016 12:51 AM

HI,

Hope this is the right place for this!

I was wondering if it would be possible to have the xbain copier feature to remember the last saved location.

As I will almost certainly always back up to the same NAS and directory it would save a little time and typing (also give less room for error) if the last location could be remembered automatically. Smile

If it is a lot of work then don't worry, I will manage! Cool

RE: *** Feature Request *** - Nachteule - 7th Apr, 2016 02:35 AM

Already there Smile

Terminal

btrfs-auto-snapshot xbiancopy --img /dev/root /path-for image/imagename

RE: *** Feature Request *** - Skywatch - 7th Apr, 2016 03:45 AM

Ah, OK.

I meant from xbian-config, but that fits the bill too! Smile

Thank you!

RE: *** Feature Request *** - Nachteule - 7th Apr, 2016 03:51 AM

(7th Apr, 2016 03:45 AM)Skywatch Wrote:  I meant from xbian-config, but that fits the bill too! Smile

I know. xbian-config is calling btrfs-auto-snapshot Big Grin

there are variables in /etc/default/xbian-snap (IMGTYPE and IMGDEST)

But unfortunately they are ignored anyhow by xbian-config

(hard to walk through this code Sad)

RE: *** Feature Request *** - IriDium - 7th Apr, 2016 04:02 AM

Would it be possible to export a variable - something like $XBIAN-IMAGE-NAME where it contains "user backup name" +$hostname + $date and in xbian-config, instead of file:/media/<xbian-image-name>.img you just use $XBIAN-IMAGE-NAME

This would useful, especially for automatic image backups.

RE: *** Feature Request *** - Skywatch - 7th Apr, 2016 04:26 AM

Oh yes! - A cron job to auto backup once a week would be brill! Smile - Why didn't I think of that??? Heheheh......Wink

RE: *** Feature Request *** - Nachteule - 7th Apr, 2016 05:56 AM

95% of code is already there, but unfortunately could not find the rest of them Sad

/etc/cron.[daily|weekly]/xbian-[daily|weekly]-btrfs should be the right place for calling xbian-config

Have to ask @mk01

RE: *** Feature Request *** - Nachteule - 9th Apr, 2016 04:10 AM

(7th Apr, 2016 04:26 AM)Skywatch Wrote:  Oh yes! - A cron job to auto backup once a week would be brill! Smile - Why didn't I think of that??? Heheheh......Wink

Done Smile

Now you can start daily, weekly or monthly image backups - automatically. Look for the IMG* variables in file /etc/default/xbian-snap.
Of course, starting an image backup within kodi's xbian-config also working now

And, it is also possible to define IMGDEST varable like this:

Code:
IMGDEST="/mnt/backup/$(hostname)-$(date +%F).img"

RE: *** Feature Request *** - Skywatch - 9th Apr, 2016 07:00 PM

Woah! - You da man !!! Smile

I'll have a go at this over the weekend!

Thank you Nachteule! Smile

OK, all set up now and will wait and see what happens! Wink

It would be much more user friendly if these settings could be set within xbian-config instead of having to edit a file. Say a menu drop down to select none/daily/weekly/monthly and another box (already there) for the destination. Maybe possible? Wink

RE: *** Feature Request *** - Nachteule - 9th Apr, 2016 09:11 PM

(9th Apr, 2016 07:00 PM)Skywatch Wrote:  It would be much more user friendly if these settings could be set within xbian-config instead of having to edit a file. Say a menu drop down to select none/daily/weekly/monthly and another box (already there) for the destination. Maybe possible? Wink

All those features are already in Kodi's xbian-settings, category Backup. IMO this should be enough, because usually this setup will be done once and after this all is running in background automatically

RE: *** Feature Request *** - Skywatch - 10th Apr, 2016 03:29 AM

Aha! - Yes...now I see!

Very good!

RE: *** Feature Request *** - IriDium - 11th Apr, 2016 04:40 AM

Could this also be possible for the "Backups to home"?

Whilst its nice to have the backup, it's only there while the system is up, to have it backup to an external drive would mean, one doesn't have to worry about reboots, as it's always there.

Ideally, a pop up selection would be nice as to where to backup to, but some sort of option would be nice.

Just an idea. Just tedious to FTP one way and then back the other

RE: *** Feature Request *** - Skywatch - 11th Apr, 2016 07:51 PM

I set up 4 pis to do this yesterday and by this morning I had 4 images automatically backed up to my network server.

I took one pi at random and restored the image. Works beautifully! Smile

Great Stuff! Smile

One question though... Is there any way to select the time of day that the backups happen? I would prefer it in the early morning hours when I am asleep and not at 9.30AM when I would be using the pis.

RE: *** Feature Request *** - Nachteule - 11th Apr, 2016 09:45 PM

(11th Apr, 2016 07:51 PM)Skywatch Wrote:  One question though... Is there any way to select the time of day that the backups happen? I would prefer it in the early morning hours when I am asleep and not at 9.30AM when I would be using the pis.

Yes, there is Smile

This is part of the cron.daily,weekly,monthly procedure. To change execution time you only have to change time in /etc/crontab

RE: *** Feature Request *** - Skywatch - 11th Apr, 2016 09:55 PM

Thank you! - I was looking everywhere for that but couldn't find it! Blush

Interesting.... They were all set at 06:47 in /etc/crontab yet all the images on the server are between 09.30 and 09.53.

Could it take this long to make the backup? Seems like a long time.

I have changed them all to 04:47 now so will see how it works now.

Prost!