Forum
FS not resizing. - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: CuBox-i / Hummingboard (/forum-66.html)
+--- Forum: Installation (/forum-70.html)
+--- Thread: FS not resizing. (/thread-3521.html)

Pages: 1 2

RE: FS not resizing. - Nachteule - 16th May, 2019 10:04 PM

(16th May, 2019 07:12 AM)jakenl Wrote:  
(16th May, 2019 04:36 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  Btw, if you want to use boot partition from your external usb device, you could prepare an sd-card as documented in this article

I tried this a couple of months ago with an Pi2, and it's working great
I had to repeat the process above 2 times, went back to a backup of this SD-card in between, but at the eind it works as expected: only bootcode.bin on a FAT formatted card and it boots further from USB. Great!
With df -h I checked available file size and my full 32Gb is now accessible. Main issue solved. By running sudo fdisk -l I also found a SWAP file mounted on /dev/sda3, so that seems good too now!

Pew, that's fine. Each issue has it's reason Smile

Quote:
(16th May, 2019 04:20 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  So we have the first error:
Very well possible, good that you found a reason! (although I only followed the backup to USB procedure from xbian-config at the time)

The main idea behind an image backup is to get an image, which can be written to sd-card and boot from it without the need of any modification. But in your case, you have to modify it because boot from sd-card and run system from external usb device (means /boot and rootfs is on different devices) is not supported per default w/o modification of /boot/cmdline.txt and /etc/fstab

Quote:Please help me with my /etc/fstab content. I see for instance 2 identical lines with an UUID. With your help I might streamline my fstab as well and have a proper functioning system left.
Code:
#
# Configured /etc/fstab for XBian system
#
/dev/root                       /home                   xbian   subvol=home/@,noatime,nobootwa$
/dev/root                       /lib/modules            xbian   subvol=modules/@,noatime,noboo$
/dev/root                       /                       xbian   noatime,nobootwait,rw         $
UUID=4D28-F2B5                  /boot                   xbian   noatime,rw,private            $
UUID=4D28-F2B5                  /boot                   xbian   noatime,rw,private            $
none                            /run/user               tmpfs   noauto                        $
none                            /run/shm                tmpfs   noauto                        $
none                            /run/lock               tmpfs   noauto                        $
/dev/root                       /xbmc-backup            xbian   subvol=data/@,noatime,rw      $

Your /etc/fstab looks a bit strange Confused

The lines at the end seems to be truncated, and where does the $ sign came from ? The duplicate UUID=4D28-F2B5 /boot ... line can be deleted, no problem. Here is the fixed version:

Code:
#
# Configured /etc/fstab for XBian system
#
/dev/root                       /home                   xbian   subvol=home/@,noatime,nobootwait,rw      0 0
/dev/root                       /lib/modules            xbian   subvol=modules/@,noatime,nobootwait,rw   0 0
/dev/root                       /                       xbian   noatime,nobootwait,rw                    0 0
UUID=4D28-F2B5                  /boot                   xbian   noatime,rw,private                       0 1
none                            /run/user               tmpfs   noauto                                   0 0
none                            /run/shm                tmpfs   noauto                                   0 0
none                            /run/lock               tmpfs   noauto                                   0 0
/dev/root                       /xbmc-backup            xbian   subvol=data/@,noatime,rw                 0 0

RE: FS not resizing. - jakenl - 19th May, 2019 07:38 AM

(16th May, 2019 10:04 PM)Nachteule Wrote:  The lines at the end seems to be truncated, and where does the $ sign came from ? The duplicate UUID=4D28-F2B5 /boot ... line can be deleted, no problem. Here is the fixed version:
Yes the lines were truncated, they didn't fit in my nano editor window
Thanks for completing the file for me. At the end (while decreasing font size in the cli, I only had to delete the double line, the missing 0 and 1 at the end were identical. Thanks!

Is it possible that by only using the bootcode.bin file that the PI is acting different? With the PSU (5V 2.0A) that I use as long as I have the PI, I now have boot issues. It either doesn't boot at all, show 4 green flashes, once even 7 flashes. connected are 3 USB sticks, 1 with OS and 2 data.
When I remove one of the data USB-keys it boots OK, but still shows the yellow lightning symbol in the right top corner. I now have it running on a 5V 2.4A PSU, but during boot or indexing of the data USB-keys it still shows the yellow lightning symbol. With my electronics colleague we checked the RPI2b physcially and did some checkes with both a multimeter and a scope to check voltages.
I suppose I will exchange the PI for an equivalent or otherwise for a RPI3 instead.

RE: FS not resizing. - Nachteule - 21st May, 2019 02:42 AM

(19th May, 2019 07:38 AM)jakenl Wrote:  
(16th May, 2019 10:04 PM)Nachteule Wrote:  The lines at the end seems to be truncated, and where does the $ sign came from ? The duplicate UUID=4D28-F2B5 /boot ... line can be deleted, no problem. Here is the fixed version:
Yes the lines were truncated, they didn't fit in my nano editor window
Thanks for completing the file for me. At the end (while decreasing font size in the cli, I only had to delete the double line, the missing 0 and 1 at the end were identical. Thanks!

Is it possible that by only using the bootcode.bin file that the PI is acting different? With the PSU (5V 2.0A) that I use as long as I have the PI, I now have boot issues. It either doesn't boot at all, show 4 green flashes, once even 7 flashes. connected are 3 USB sticks, 1 with OS and 2 data.

No, I don't think so.

Quote:When I remove one of the data USB-keys it boots OK, but still shows the yellow lightning symbol in the right top corner. I now have it running on a 5V 2.4A PSU, but during boot or indexing of the data USB-keys it still shows the yellow lightning symbol. With my electronics colleague we checked the RPI2b physcially and did some checkes with both a multimeter and a scope to check voltages.

Maybe the bootloader (bootcode.bin) detects wrong usb device as boot device. The yellow symbol is usually an indication of low power. If your PSU is ok and the power cable is not too long, maybe capacitors on the Pi are at end of life. Difficult to say

Quote:I suppose I will exchange the PI for an equivalent or otherwise for a RPI3 instead.

Using Pi3 is probably better idea, because Kodi team has dropped OMX acceleration in Kodi 19, so with Pi's below Pi2 it will be not funny to play videos flawlessly in the future

FS not resizing. - jakenl - 23rd May, 2019 10:14 PM

My rpi3 arrived in the mail today. Will it work to plop both the sd card and usb key into the new unit?

RE: FS not resizing. - Nachteule - 23rd May, 2019 10:30 PM

(23rd May, 2019 10:14 PM)jakenl Wrote:  My rpi3 arrived in the mail today. Will it work to plop both the sd card and usb key into the new unit?

No!

1) Kernel package is different.
2) Pi < 2 is based on Raspbian, all others based on Debian
3) All Pi's > 2 can boot from USB/Network directly, no need of sd-card with bootcode.bin required. Pi3B+ does this OOTB.

I already described here what has do be done modifing such a sd-card, but I do not recommend that procedure

FS not resizing. - jakenl - 23rd May, 2019 11:14 PM

You describe all types RPI's, except the RPI 2 that I happen to have ;-)
I assume the RPI 2 is more similar to the RPI 3 than the RPI 1b

RE: FS not resizing. - Nachteule - 23rd May, 2019 11:26 PM

(23rd May, 2019 11:14 PM)jakenl Wrote:  You describe all types RPI's, except the RPI 2 that I happen to have ;-)
I assume the RPI 2 is more similar to the RPI 3 than the RPI 1b

Oh, seems I was wrong. Thought you have Pi1B, sorry Sad

Of course, you can use your XBian installation without any modification. And, as already wrote, this special bootcode.bin sd-card is not longer necessary

FS not resizing. - jakenl - 24th May, 2019 06:49 AM

It indeed worked literally out of the box and with the stronger original raspberry power supply of 2.5A no more yellow flashes. I at least guess that 3usb keys can be too much for a 2.0A power supply.
Thanks for the heads up!

RE: FS not resizing. - Nachteule - 25th May, 2019 05:25 AM

(24th May, 2019 06:49 AM)jakenl Wrote:  It indeed worked literally out of the box and with the stronger original raspberry power supply of 2.5A no more yellow flashes. I at least guess that 3usb keys can be too much for a 2.0A power supply.

Probably you're right. Pi can deliver up to 1A at USB ports in summary, and probably your 3 sticks are very close at this limit. Means, if you have a 2A psu, the rest of the board has to live with 1A, which is definitely not enough Dodgy

Quote:Thanks for the heads up!

You're welcome