Forum
[PROBLEM] Bluetooth Audio output (Transmitter) - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Hardware (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Remotes and CEC support (/forum-26.html)
+--- Thread: [PROBLEM] Bluetooth Audio output (Transmitter) (/thread-3549.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Bluetooth Audio output (Transmitter) - schiway - 13th May, 2016 04:18 AM

RESULT OF LATEST TRY:
1. in kodi under retropie, I can only make bluetooth speaker work once, only once, after reboot, i can still connect to bluetooth speaker, but I cannot never get kodi "speak" ever again, no matter how many times I repeat the same procedures.
2. in xbian, well, NEVER able to connect to bluetooth speaker, just like what i described above.

CONCLUSION: I give up, let your expert/developers do your jobs.
P.S. I don't even know where to find the god damn log.

RE: Bluetooth Audio output (Transmitter) - IriDium - 13th May, 2016 04:43 AM

@schiway

Excuse me you little pile of caca del perro.

"CONCLUSION: I give up, let your expert/developers do your jobs."

I just spent an afternoon trying to solve this issue, and that is the response!

Xbian is a FREE and user developed and improved OS.

You expect "someone" to do our jobs

Please do not use XBian again, nor post on this website again

Our community will be better without you.

RE: Bluetooth Audio output (Transmitter) - schiway - 14th May, 2016 03:25 AM

(13th May, 2016 04:43 AM)IriDium Wrote:  @schiway

Excuse me you little pile of caca del perro.

"CONCLUSION: I give up, let your expert/developers do your jobs."

I just spent an afternoon trying to solve this issue, and that is the response!

Xbian is a FREE and user developed and improved OS.

You expect "someone" to do our jobs

Please do not use XBian again, nor post on this website again

Our community will be better without you.

I am so sorry, please accept my sincere apology. I didn't mean what i said, I really love it, and I can tell this is a well-maintained community. The only reason I said those negative things because I felt frustrated and powerless. Please tell me how to check the reason and I would love to contribute my little help to make everything better.

RE: Bluetooth Audio output (Transmitter) - IriDium - 15th May, 2016 01:12 AM

After many failed attempts, I have managed to get it working again.

See new order in green

The order required is rather strict as bluetoothctl needs pulseaudio to be running for it to connect. Don't attempt to connect until pulseaudio is selected in Kodi and the pulseaudio service is running.

HOWEVER - sometimes, for no apparent reason, it doesn't work. If that is the case, you need to reboot, and go through the process again.

At one point I added "sudo usermod -a -G lp xbian" but cannot see if that is required - or what good it will do. If the setup doesn't work, try it.

BTW: I'm sticking to USB from now on - it's better for my sanity!!

RE: Bluetooth Audio output (Transmitter) - schiway - 15th May, 2016 04:53 AM

(15th May, 2016 01:12 AM)IriDium Wrote:  After many failed attempts, I have managed to get it working again.

See new order in green

The order required is rather strict as bluetoothctl needs pulseaudio to be running for it to connect. Don't attempt to connect until pulseaudio is selected in Kodi and the pulseaudio service is running.

HOWEVER - sometimes, for no apparent reason, it doesn't work. If that is the case, you need to reboot, and go through the process again.

At one point I added "sudo usermod -a -G lp xbian" but cannot see if that is required - or what good it will do. If the setup doesn't work, try it.

BTW: I'm sticking to USB from now on - it's better for my sanity!!

After installing Puleseaudio, pulseaudio-module-bluetooth, bluez etc, I started pulseaudio by
Terminal
pulseaudio --start
and I can finally connect to my bluetooth speaker using bluetoothctl and even after reboot, it still works automatically (i can hear to connecting sound, a short click)
but now I still cannot hear any sound (from videos/audios/airplay) what should I look into now?
thanks you so much, what a happy day for me, finally a step forward!!!

I tried reboot several times, everytime i got the same results
Terminal

xbian@xbian ~ $ ps -ef|grep -i pulse
xbian 1642 1 0 03:13 ? 00:00:00 /usr/bin/pulseaudio --start --log-target=syslog
xbian 2577 1 3 03:13 ? 00:00:04 /usr/bin/pulseaudio --start --log-target=syslog
xbian 3637 3161 0 03:15 pts/2 00:00:00 grep --color=auto -i pulse
xbian@xbian ~ $
I tried to kill one, but both were killed, and i tried start it manually, still no sound.

RE: Bluetooth Audio output (Transmitter) - IriDium - 15th May, 2016 05:52 AM

Been there, seen that, got the T-Shirt, sweatshirt and the novelty boxer shorts.

Where in my - I assumed was pretty clear instructions, did I say

"After installing Puleseaudio, pulseaudio-module-bluetooth, bluez etc, I started pulseaudio by
Terminal pulseaudio --start" ?????

Did you also happen to miss the quite clear post about duel pulseaudio instances??

I can only go so far in helping, but ID10 is beyond my help.

RE: Bluetooth Audio output (Transmitter) - schiway - 15th May, 2016 11:56 PM

(15th May, 2016 05:52 AM)IriDium Wrote:  Been there, seen that, got the T-Shirt, sweatshirt and the novelty boxer shorts.

Where in my - I assumed was pretty clear instructions, did I say

"After installing Puleseaudio, pulseaudio-module-bluetooth, bluez etc, I started pulseaudio by
Terminal pulseaudio --start" ?????

Did you also happen to miss the quite clear post about duel pulseaudio instances??

I can only go so far in helping, but ID10 is beyond my help.

sorry, I indeed followed your instructions (letter by letter, blank by blank), i just did not post it right, i will have a try again.

RE: Bluetooth Audio output (Transmitter) - IriDium - 16th May, 2016 02:58 AM

$$$$$ Aaaarrrggggg $$$$$ I hate BT (and British Telecom)

Just to see if everything was "out of the box" I tried it on a RPi3 following my precise instructions - bugger FTFW.

Even in Kodi, selecting Pulseaudio, the music continued to play through the HDMI.

Off course the BT failed to connect. So unsure if this is a RPi3 thing, pulseaudio or my receiver. I'll see if any other distro's have it working.

So for now: Treat this as "in development, try at you own risk etc. etc."

NB: There is no need to "pulseaudio --start" as selecting pulseaudio in Kodi, will start it for you.

RE: Bluetooth Audio output (Transmitter) - Nachteule - 16th May, 2016 03:20 AM

Fully agree - Bluetooth is terrible. If you google, > 90% of hits are for bluez4, seems nobody is working with bluez5

(bzw. was a great deal by those developers to change API from 4 -> 5 completely. Congratulations AngryAngryAngry)

RE: Bluetooth Audio output (Transmitter) - IriDium - 16th May, 2016 09:36 PM

From OE.

Bluetooth audio is not supported on OpenELEC. What? in such a modern OS!? ..my laptop/desktop/phone/tablet/etc. has supported this for years!!!
Yup we agree it is a little stupid, but (and it's a big but) supporting Bluetooth audio under Linux requires pulse audio (not alsa) and to use pulse you must compile Kodi to exclusively use pulse audio. If you do this Bluetooth audio works (yay!) but pulse only supports 2-channel stereo output so you lose all the multi-channel (5.1, 7.1, etc.) output capabilities in Kodi (boo). As multi-channel support is rather fundamental to a mediacentre distro like OpenELEC and the project team does not have the manpower to release both normal and pulse builds; we only release builds compiled to use alsa that include multi-channel audio support.
Should things ever change to make Bluetooth audio a sensible addition we will add support, but for the foreseeable future this is not going to happen.

However, there is a reported fix for bluez5 that will enable it - that is reported to be working in OE 7 beta 1.

Yep: It works in OE 6.95.3 so there must be a fix in bluez5 somewhere.

RE: Bluetooth Audio output (Transmitter) - IriDium - 16th May, 2016 11:56 PM

Well a bit more success:

Could be a permission issue.

sudo usermod -G bluetooth -a xbian
sudo usermod -G pulse-access -a xbian
sudo usermod -G pulse-access -a root

RE: Bluetooth Audio output (Transmitter) - schiway - 18th May, 2016 02:35 AM

(16th May, 2016 11:56 PM)IriDium Wrote:  Well a bit more success:

Could be a permission issue.

sudo usermod -G bluetooth -a xbian
sudo usermod -G pulse-access -a xbian
sudo usermod -G pulse-access -a root

I have successfully connect to my bluetooth speaker/s, but still no sound, is it caused by multiple pulseaudio instances running? how should I solve this problem?
Thank you!

RE: Bluetooth Audio output (Transmitter) - IriDium - 18th May, 2016 02:57 AM

I've had the same issue. The connection failure seems to have gone with the permissions, but sometimes, there is - as you say = no sound (Even though you can hear the clicks when connecting).

I'm not too sure if multiple instances makes any difference but you can try.

Terminal
$ killall pulseaudio

It will respawn

I think, the multiple instances are caused if Kodi is restarted (It doesn't kill the original one, so just starts another)

RE: Bluetooth Audio output (Transmitter) - IriDium - 20th May, 2016 11:20 PM

I've been doing some testing with this BT (Bloody Thing) and it works on OE and Raspbian Jessie (and even Kodi in xfce) but XBian no luck.

I've tried upgrading pulseaudio to 8.0 and bluez to 5.35 (OE 7 beta uses 5.39 (looks like that has to be compiled from source)) but still no luck. (In fact seems to break the RPi3 BT controller as it shows up as AA:AA:AA:AA:AA:AA:AA

The only thing I can see is that I cannot install pi-bluetooth (Unable to locate package pi-bluetooth)

Could this be the issue?

Ok - Found it deb http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/ jessie main

Didn't work :-(

Got round it by removing the raspberrypi.org sources and running apt-get install -f

Didn't seem to make any difference. Doh

RE: Bluetooth Audio output (Transmitter) - Nachteule - 21st May, 2016 12:07 AM

@IriDium
I'm a little bit confused what your are currently doing

pi-bluetooth is not necessary for XBian, because all required stuff for RPi3 BT is in kernel package.

I'm currently building bluez 5.39 package with some patches required for xbian-config/GUI (btw, you need bluez package installed from XBian repo)

Terminal

root@kmxbilr2 ~ # apt-cache policy bluez
bluez:
Installiert: 5.23-3
Installationskandidat: 5.23-3
Versionstabelle:
*** 5.23-3 0
500 mirror://apt.xbian.org/mirror.txt/ stable/rpi2-jessie armhf Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
5.23-2+b1 0
500 http://http.debian.net/debian/ jessie/main armhf Packages
root@kmxbilr2 ~ # hciconfig