Forum
Alternative to RPi with enough power for HEVC - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Community (/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Uncategorized (/forum-59.html)
+--- Thread: Alternative to RPi with enough power for HEVC (/thread-3573.html)

Pages: 1 2

Alternative to RPi with enough power for HEVC - syco - 25th May, 2016 11:35 PM

Hi Xbian community,

FiveFour once told me, I should start an extra thread regarding the HEVC subject.

For a year now I am searching for an alternative cheap box, that does support Kodi (Xbian would be lovely) and has the power to play HEVC/.265 files, which are comming into vogue fast, both in the warez scene and the public domain.

Up to now I heard about two boxes, that could do the stuff, but I have not found a lot of reliable user experiences in the web.

1. Odroid C1 from 2014 and C2 from 2015

2. Wintel Pro CX-W8 from 2016 (not to be mixed up with the slower Wintel CX-W8)

Now, I have no clue about driver support, ... etc. on these boxes.

Maybe you guys know a reliable, fast and cheap box to watch HEVC material per Kodi?

I would add your box suggesstions into the first thread, just in case other people are searching for the same thing.

Thanks upfront for your hints, ideas and knowledge or discussion.

RE: Alternative to RPi with enough power for HEVC - f1vefour - 26th May, 2016 01:54 AM

I have a C1, C1+, and C2.

All can play 60fps 1080p HEVC in Kodi, the C2 can play up to 4K 60fps HEVC.

If you need KODI on Linux instead of Android the C1+ is the better option currently, if you don't mind Android (Linux accelerated drivers coming soon) the C2 is an awesome KODI experience.

I have been running Android on the C2 since before the device was released, I have had 0 issues with any content including HEVC. I'm using the Wetek version of KODI but the play store version works fine as well.

The C1+ is 2015, the C2 is 2016.

*edit*
X11 EGL acceleration is enabled on the C2 as of today, Linux is now a viable option as well. No reason not to get the C2 vs the C1+ now.

RE: Alternative to RPi with enough power for HEVC - syco - 27th May, 2016 10:21 AM

(26th May, 2016 01:54 AM)f1vefour Wrote:  I have a C1, C1+, and C2.

All can play 60fps 1080p HEVC in Kodi, the C2 can play up to 4K 60fps HEVC.

If you need KODI on Linux instead of Android the C1+ is the better option currently, if you don't mind Android (Linux accelerated drivers coming soon) the C2 is an awesome KODI experience.

I have been running Android on the C2 since before the device was released, I have had 0 issues with any content including HEVC. I'm using the Wetek version of KODI but the play store version works fine as well.

The C1+ is 2015, the C2 is 2016.

*edit*
X11 EGL acceleration is enabled on the C2 as of today, Linux is now a viable option as well. No reason not to get the C2 vs the C1+ now.

I just checked an offer: http://www.ebay.de/itm/ODROID-C2-Einplatinen-Computer-2-GHz-QuadCore-2-GB-RAM-4x-USB-810491-/131761410968

But I cannot find the slot for the SD card there. Am I blind or does it need more hardware components, besides energy plug and a case?

RE: Alternative to RPi with enough power for HEVC - f1vefour - 27th May, 2016 11:10 AM

The SD is on the bottom of the device.

There a reason you don't get it from here?: http://m.pollin.de/item/383130343931

RE: Alternative to RPi with enough power for HEVC - syco - 27th May, 2016 08:24 PM

(27th May, 2016 11:10 AM)f1vefour Wrote:  The SD is on the bottom of the device.

There a reason you don't get it from here?: http://m.pollin.de/item/383130343931

Thanks.

It is the same price (with packaging and shipment), unfortunately.

Is there a complete tutorial somewhere from unpacking to installed Android, Play Store and working Kodi? I checked their forums, but did not find something like this.

RE: Alternative to RPi with enough power for HEVC - Nachteule - 27th May, 2016 10:51 PM

FYI: those offer from ebay comes from Pollin also Smile

RE: Alternative to RPi with enough power for HEVC - f1vefour - 28th May, 2016 07:43 AM

(27th May, 2016 08:24 PM)syco Wrote:  
(27th May, 2016 11:10 AM)f1vefour Wrote:  The SD is on the bottom of the device.

Thanks.

It is the same price (with packaging and shipment), unfortunately.

Is there a complete tutorial somewhere from unpacking to installed Android, Play Store and working Kodi? I checked their forums, but did not find something like this.

There is an app that installs the play store, from play install Kodi.

It's linked in the wiki.

http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=en:odroid-c2

At the very bottom under software release read the **THIS** link and the Android link for links to the images and how to flash them.

@Nachteule
I noticed they are both Pollin after posting the link. :oops:

RE: Alternative to RPi with enough power for HEVC - tehdartherer - 30th May, 2016 01:57 AM

(26th May, 2016 01:54 AM)f1vefour Wrote:  *edit*

Any running setup out there already? Maybe you got a link?
Would be very interested in Linux + Kodi, since this thing has GBLAN :o
Could replace some devices here at home...

RE: Alternative to RPi with enough power for HEVC - f1vefour - 30th May, 2016 03:32 AM

(30th May, 2016 01:57 AM)tehdartherer Wrote:  

What do you mean?

RE: Alternative to RPi with enough power for HEVC - tehdartherer - 30th May, 2016 07:23 AM

(30th May, 2016 03:32 AM)f1vefour Wrote:  
(30th May, 2016 01:57 AM)tehdartherer Wrote:  

What do you mean?

E.g.
http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=138&t=18771

Btw, I would love to see xbian running on the C2.

RE: Alternative to RPi with enough power for HEVC - f1vefour - 30th May, 2016 02:34 PM

I would like to see XBian for odroid devices also but I'm the only one with the devices and unfortunately don't have time to make that happen. Not sure I even could without help.

RE: Alternative to RPi with enough power for HEVC - syco - 31st May, 2016 12:44 AM

Do you have any recommendation for a
case and a memory card?

What about the power adapter? Can I
use the same thing like for a Pi? Mine
have 1500 or 2000 mA, I think.

RE: Alternative to RPi with enough power for HEVC - f1vefour - 1st Jun, 2016 12:54 PM

(31st May, 2016 12:44 AM)syco Wrote:  Do you have any recommendation for a
case and a memory card?

What about the power adapter? Can I
use the same thing like for a Pi? Mine
have 1500 or 2000 mA, I think.

In my opinion it's better to use the barrel power plug over micro usb, they have a USB to barrel plug which is a couple of bucks. Then you can use your own USB power supply. 2A is best but 1.5A should be okay unless loading the USB ports. You can power by micro usb and forgo the extra cable to save money.

I have a 5A Odroid SmartPower supply that powers an XU4, C2, and Pi 3 (over USB), I don't think they make this any longer and it's expensive.

I don't use a case on my C2, the inexpensive plastic Hardkernel case is not great but does the job. I have one on my C1 or C1+.

I highly recommend a SanDisk UHS microsd. Personally I use eMMC most of the time, so much faster. It's a worthy upgrade, especially if using Android.

RE: Alternative to RPi with enough power for HEVC - syco - 2nd Jun, 2016 01:36 AM

(1st Jun, 2016 12:54 PM)f1vefour Wrote:  In my opinion it's better to use the barrel power plug over micro usb, they have a USB to barrel plug which is a couple of bucks. Then you can use your own USB power supply. 2A is best but 1.5A should be okay unless loading the USB ports. You can power by micro usb and forgo the extra cable to save money.

I have a 5A Odroid SmartPower supply that powers an XU4, C2, and Pi 3 (over USB), I don't think they make this any longer and it's expensive.

I don't use a case on my C2, the inexpensive plastic Hardkernel case is not great but does the job. I have one on my C1 or C1+.

I highly recommend a SanDisk UHS microsd. Personally I use eMMC most of the time, so much faster. It's a worthy upgrade, especially if using Android.

Alright, so basically I will buy this:

1 x ODROID-C2
1 x 5V/2A Power Supply EU Plug
1 x ODROID-C2/C1+ Case Black
1 x IR Remote Controller

for $ 54 from the Hardkernel online shop and any SanDisk or Samsung MicroSD.

RE: Alternative to RPi with enough power for HEVC - f1vefour - 2nd Jun, 2016 02:02 AM

That looks fine, I would stick with SanDisk though.