Forum
[PROBLEM] Blank screen post one time successful boot on pi3 - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Configuration (/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: [PROBLEM] Blank screen post one time successful boot on pi3 (/thread-3579.html)

Pages: 1 2

Blank screen post one time successful boot on pi3 - Dave400 - 3rd Jun, 2016 08:51 AM

Software
XBian version: Updated via apt-get update && apt-get upgrade 1st June
XBMC/Kodi version: 16.1 (assumption, it's running the newest skin when I briefly ran it last night on the pi2, cannot boot to find the exact details)
Overclock settings: Default

Hardware
Device type and model: Pi2 and Pi3
Power supply rating: 5v 2A for Pi2, 5.1v & 2.5A for pi3
SD card size and make/type: 64GB Kingston UHS Class 1
Network (Ethernet or wireless): Ethernet
Connected devices (TV, USB, network storage, ...): TV, Media held on network share

Log files
Link to logfile(s): Cannot boot to grab them

Problem description:
Having updated last night to the current build today I switched the memory card over to my pi3, plugged it in briefly, it booted, and once Kodi was open, selected shutdown. Power off then setup on TV. steady red led with occasional green led flash (once every 20 secs or thereabouts). Placed it back in the pi2 and the same. At this point, USB inactive and Ethernet act/link unlit.
I have a Retropie on an identical microsd card, placed that in the pi3 and pi2 and it boots ok..

RE: Blank screen post one time successful boot on pi3 - rikardo1979 - 3rd Jun, 2016 03:40 PM

(3rd Jun, 2016 08:51 AM)Dave400 Wrote:  Software
XBian version: Updated via apt-get update && apt-get upgrade 1st June
XBMC/Kodi version: 16.1 (assumption, it's running the newest skin when I briefly ran it last night on the pi2, cannot boot to find the exact details)
Overclock settings: Default

Hardware
Device type and model: Pi2 and Pi3
Power supply rating: 5v 2A for Pi2, 5.1v & 2.5A for pi3
SD card size and make/type: 64GB Kingston UHS Class 1
Network (Ethernet or wireless): Ethernet
Connected devices (TV, USB, network storage, ...): TV, Media held on network share

Log files
Link to logfile(s): Cannot boot to grab them

Problem description:
Having updated last night to the current build today I switched the memory card over to my pi3, plugged it in briefly, it booted, and once Kodi was open, selected shutdown. Power off then setup on TV. steady red led with occasional green led flash (once every 20 secs or thereabouts). Placed it back in the pi2 and the same. At this point, USB inactive and Ethernet act/link unlit.
I have a Retropie on an identical microsd card, placed that in the pi3 and pi2 and it boots ok..

Your post is a bit confusing. So you flash and first run your SD card in RPi 3 and set all the basics in Kodi. Than you turn it OFF and you want to use the very same SD card as it was set in another RPi, this time RPi 2?

RE: Blank screen post one time successful boot on pi3 - Dave400 - 3rd Jun, 2016 04:30 PM

(3rd Jun, 2016 03:40 PM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  Your post is a bit confusing. So you flash and first run your SD card in RPi 3 and set all the basics in Kodi. Than you turn it OFF and you want to use the very same SD card as it was set in another RPi, this time RPi 2?

Sorry for confusion, the instance had been configured previously in my pi2 shortly after it was released. This has worked fine since updating as and when needed, yesterday I decided to have a switch around of my pis and checking the dtb was present moved the sd card to my pi3. I did a quick boot to check all ok (wife was watching so used pc monitor) it booted ok, checked around some of the menus, selected shutdown waited hen powered off. Moved it to other room and plugged it in and thought all was ok. When I couldn't ssh to it found it was failing to boot. If I put the same sd card back in the pi2 that doesn't boot either, but a different card with Retropie configured happily boots in both pis.

RE: Blank screen post one time successful boot on pi3 - IriDium - 3rd Jun, 2016 06:49 PM

I would try reading the SD card on the PC. Obviously it won't be able to mount the btrfs volume but the boot partition should be readable. If all looks OK - long list of different files and not @ - then try rebooting again holding the shift key down.

If that doesn't work, can you post the config.txt and cmdline.txt files.

RE: Blank screen post one time successful boot on pi3 - Dave400 - 3rd Jun, 2016 07:04 PM

(3rd Jun, 2016 06:49 PM)IriDium Wrote:  I would try reading the SD card on the PC. Obviously it won't be able to mount the btrfs volume but the boot partition should be readable. If all looks OK - long list of different files and not @ - then try rebooting again holding the shift key down.

If that doesn't work, can you post the config.txt and cmdline.txt files.

Boot partition mounts ok (with volume label xbianboot) all dtbs present for pi2 and pi3, kernel present along with start.elf.

I'll try booting with shift key held down later today, in the meantime content of the config and cmdline text files are:

config.txt
Code:
#initramfs initramfs.gz  0x1000000
gpu_mem_1024=256
gpu_mem_512=144
gpu_mem_256=100
initial_turbo=3
decode_MPG2=0x
decode_WVC1=0x
#overscan_left=40
#overscan_right=40
#overscan_top=25
#overscan_bottom=25
#overscan_left=95
#overscan_right=95
#overscan_top=85
#overscan_bottom=85
hdmi_ignore_cec_init=1
disable_overscan=1
disable_splash=1
dtoverlay=lirc-rpi
arm_freq=1000
core_freq=500
sdram_freq=500
over_voltage=2

cmdline.txt
Code:
telnet zswap.enabled=1 zswap.compressor=lz4 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootflags=subvol=root/@,autodefrag,compress=lz4 rootfstype=btrfs rootwait logo.nologo quiet noswap loglevel=0 partswap startevent=mountall selinux=0 splash nohdparm --startup-event mountall

RE: Blank screen post one time successful boot on pi3 - IriDium - 3rd Jun, 2016 07:20 PM

I would comment out the overclock values and initial_turbo=3 in config.txt
Also remove splash from cmdline.txt

Could be a power issue. Do you get the rainbox box in the top right?

RE: Blank screen post one time successful boot on pi3 - Dave400 - 3rd Jun, 2016 08:13 PM

(3rd Jun, 2016 07:20 PM)IriDium Wrote:  I would comment out the overclock values and initial_turbo=3 in config.txt
Also remove splash from cmdline.txt

Could be a power issue. Do you get the rainbox box in the top right?

Hi, I've edited the config.txt and cmdline.txt files ready to move to the sd card when I'm at home..

Pressing shift - isn't that specific to NOOBS or has that been implemented in the standalone image as well?

Don't get the rainbow icon on either pi. Both power supplies are Raspberry Pi foundation certified 5v 2A for the pi2 and 5.1v 2.5A for the pi3 neither been a problem beforehand and both Pis boot the Retropie SD card.

RE: Blank screen post one time successful boot on pi3 - IriDium - 3rd Jun, 2016 08:59 PM

Pressing shift while booting is supposed to put you into recovery mode, but haven't tried it for ages.

Removing splash should allow some text to the screen, so you might be able to see where it errors.

RE: Blank screen post one time successful boot on pi3 - Nachteule - 4th Jun, 2016 12:41 AM

(3rd Jun, 2016 08:59 PM)IriDium Wrote:  Pressing shift while booting is supposed to put you into recovery mode, but haven't tried it for ages.

It is still in the boot process, but you have to enable the initrd in /boot/config.txt (uncomment that initramfs line)

But unfortunately it works very unreliable here (I never was able to turn into recovery mode using my RPi2/3, no idea why Huh)

Probably if root fs is broken and could not be mount, there is no need do press shift key, system should enter recovery automatically. But again, enabling initrd is required Exclamation

RE: Blank screen post one time successful boot on pi3 - IriDium - 4th Jun, 2016 03:03 AM

I did find that a wireless keyboard didn't work, whereas a USB leaded keyboard did (Which might be why the <shift> doesn't seem to work).

However, that was a while ago. Also I did find that the "rescue" command in cmdline.txt also didn't work.

Mind you I never tended to dwell on the situation, as I always have enough backups to restore from.

RE: Blank screen post one time successful boot on pi3 - Nachteule - 4th Jun, 2016 05:34 AM

(4th Jun, 2016 03:03 AM)IriDium Wrote:  I did find that a wireless keyboard didn't work, whereas a USB leaded keyboard did (Which might be why the <shift> doesn't seem to work).

Hmmm, have only wireless keyboards.

And, oh yes, one old usb2ps2 dongle for old ps/2 keyboards, have to look for it and test, if this make any difference.

Quote:However, that was a while ago. Also I did find that the "rescue" command in cmdline.txt also didn't work.

Never tried ...

Quote:Mind you I never tended to dwell on the situation, as I always have enough backups to restore from.

Me too.
Btw, can't remember when I had to restore an image, must be very long ago

RE: Blank screen post one time successful boot on pi3 - Dave400 - 9th Jun, 2016 07:40 AM

Well I've tried the edits, uncommenting the initramfs line and adding rescue to cmdline.txt

Still blank screen.. anything else I should try prior to giving up and reimaging from scratch?

RE: Blank screen post one time successful boot on pi3 - Nachteule - 9th Jun, 2016 09:49 PM

@Dave400
If you have USB keyboard, please give it a try. It takes only a few minutes to see if it works or not

RE: Blank screen post one time successful boot on pi3 - IriDium - 9th Jun, 2016 10:51 PM

@Dave400

A few queries.
1/ Are you on stable/staging or development repos?
2/ You say "assumption, it's running the newest skin when I briefly ran it last night on the pi2" is that the New Krypton skin?
3/ You state overclock is the default but your config suggests otherwise. Did you try commenting out the O/C values?
4/ I guess you have tried in the RPi3 as you mention only trying on the RPi2.

However, if all that was tried and you don't get anything on the screen, something is really dead.

RE: Blank screen post one time successful boot on pi3 - Dave400 - 12th Jun, 2016 03:55 AM

I have already tried the shift key trick..

1: Staging repo
2: Estuary skin on the Krypton build
3: Although specified otherwise those were the default values when I first built up the pi2, values have been commented out now, no change
4: It was originally pi2, the last update was applied via that device, i took the card, placed it in the pi3 and it booted fine whilst connected to one of my monitors, eventually shut it down (via on screen menu) plugged it into my main tv, booted and nothing. Since then have put the card back in the pi 2, doesn't boot. connected both devices to my monitor, still no boot. stick a card (same capacity) with a different product on (Retropie) on both pi2 and pi3 and they boot fine.