Forum
Issues with UNRAR and possible solution - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Additional Packages (/forum-22.html)
+--- Thread: Issues with UNRAR and possible solution (/thread-3667.html)

Issues with UNRAR and possible solution - mcklane - 23rd Jul, 2016 12:33 AM

Hi all,

this is my first post, please be gently ;-)

I installed xbian last week on my raspberry pi 1 for the first time and I am very pleased, everything looks good and fast.

However I have found a couple of issues around UNRAR (used to unpack fils for NZBGet):

1: I have installed it using xbian-config under the non free packages, however after it is installed the xbian-config still show the unrar package still uninstalled hence it cannot be removed from the tool but using apt-get.
2: the version instaled is 4.1 and it is unbelievably slow : using iotop and top i can see that the reason for being slow is not the disk or even the CPU (only 5% utilised) so i am not sure what the issues is.

Hence i unistalled the package and installed a newer version with these commands:
wget http://sourceforge.net/projects/bananapi/files/unrar_5.2.6-1.arm6_armhf.deb
sudo dpkg -i unrar_5.2.6-1.arm6_armhf.deb

This new version is much faster, I would say around 3 times faster. There is a small increase in CPU utilization but the read and write on the disk is now around 2MB/s instead of 400KB/s with the older version.

I hope this is helpful to someone, I am keen to get hear about other possible optimizations as the unpacking is still quite slow; I suppose if other users agree it would be good to include in the list of packages available (replacing the old version).

Regards

RE: Issues with UNRAR and possible solution - Nachteule - 23rd Jul, 2016 02:25 AM

(23rd Jul, 2016 12:33 AM)mcklane Wrote:  1: I have installed it using xbian-config under the non free packages, however after it is installed the xbian-config still show the unrar package still uninstalled hence it cannot be removed from the tool but using apt-get.

I suppose you're using XBian config GUI running under Kodi, right?
That package manager is still very buggy, I was working on it last 2 weeks and fixed a lot of issues, but did not release that version right now.

Quote:2: the version instaled is 4.1 and it is unbelievably slow : using iotop and top i can see that the reason for being slow is not the disk or even the CPU (only 5% utilised) so i am not sure what the issues is.

Hence i unistalled the package and installed a newer version with these commands:
wget http://sourceforge.net/projects/bananapi/files/unrar_5.2.6-1.arm6_armhf.deb
sudo dpkg -i unrar_5.2.6-1.arm6_armhf.deb

This new version is much faster, I would say around 3 times faster. There is a small increase in CPU utilization but the read and write on the disk is now around 2MB/s instead of 400KB/s with the older version.

I hope this is helpful to someone, I am keen to get hear about other possible optimizations as the unpacking is still quite slow; I suppose if other users agree it would be good to include in the list of packages available (replacing the old version).

Good idea Smile I will do some tests and if I can confirm your results, I will put this version to our repo

RE: Issues with UNRAR and possible solution - Nachteule - 23rd Jul, 2016 07:50 AM

You're right - an 8GB file to unrar took 44mins using v4.10 and 21mins using v5.21

Uploaded new unrar packages to our repo.

The unpack time using v5.21 seems to be identical described here

RE: Issues with UNRAR and possible solution - mcklane - 7th Aug, 2016 08:36 PM

Many thanks Nachteule.

when will the new package appear in the normal package list? I see the description for unrar still says version 1.4 in the packages section of the xbian config.

Thanks

(23rd Jul, 2016 07:50 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  You're right - an 8GB file to unrar took 44mins using v4.10 and 21mins using v5.21

Uploaded new unrar packages to our repo.

The unpack time using v5.21 seems to be identical described here

RE: Issues with UNRAR and possible solution - Nachteule - 7th Aug, 2016 09:53 PM

(7th Aug, 2016 08:36 PM)mcklane Wrote:  Many thanks Nachteule.

when will the new package appear in the normal package list? I see the description for unrar still says version 1.4 in the packages section of the xbian config.

This package is already there since Jul 22. Unfortunately package manager in xbian-config has some issues so you see older version (local cache is not synced correctly). I already fixed this but did not released this right now (got some health problems Sad)

But anyway, I put my version to devel Repo. For getting it, please enable Devel repo, update your package list and install xbian-package-config-shell and xbian-package-config-xbmc (do not update all in update manager if you do not want to install Kodi Krypton or kernel 4.6)