Forum
no MKV streaming on LAN - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Kodi (/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: no MKV streaming on LAN (/thread-368.html)

no MKV streaming on LAN - ballsy26 - 30th Jan, 2013 04:22 PM

hi,

i'm not able to stream .mkv files over lan. the videos won't show up when accessing them through a network but if i put the file on a usb stick i can play it without any problems.

is this a known issue? i wasn't able to find anything about this.
is there a way to fix this? any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Re: no MKV streaming on LAN - rikardo1979 - 30th Jan, 2013 04:55 PM

please mention how you trying to access the files (full step by step) and also what protocol- samba,nfs,etc

RE: no MKV streaming on LAN - ballsy26 - 31st Jan, 2013 07:06 AM

running a windows 8 pc, connected to a switch which connects to the RPi.
files are in a shared folder, the RPi reads from that folder. not using any other software to share the files, just have it as shared on the folder properties. the RPi can read other video formats (.mp4,.avi) through LAN.

RE: no MKV streaming on LAN - Koenkk - 31st Jan, 2013 07:26 AM

You first need to add it as source, then the video files will popup. (the usb stick is automatically added as source when plugged in so that why you don't have to do that here).

RE: no MKV streaming on LAN - rikardo1979 - 31st Jan, 2013 07:35 AM

XBMC Quick Start Guide
Video library/Adding media sources

RE: no MKV streaming on LAN - ballsy26 - 31st Jan, 2013 07:48 AM

i've found the issue, the windows media server does not have support for mkv streaming. thanks for you time and help Smile

Re: no MKV streaming on LAN - rikardo1979 - 31st Jan, 2013 08:09 AM

just simply share your folder with your files using windows share aka SMB aka SAMBA

RE: no MKV streaming on LAN - AlexKid - 24th Feb, 2013 05:33 AM

hello, I have another issue. I want to stream .mkv from XBian to Samsung Smart TV's but they only show "not supported file System". I have two HDD's connected to the RPi with movies and other stuff. Playback the .mkv's with the RPi direct works. UPNP is enabled I can see all my content on the TV. Before XBian I used rasbian whezzy with "minidlna". Minidlna was able to stream .mkv to the TV's. Will I have to install minidlna under XBian or is there another way to get this to work?

thanks