Forum
[PROBLEM] CEC with Optoma beamer and Denon AVR 1910 - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Hardware (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Remotes and CEC support (/forum-26.html)
+--- Thread: [PROBLEM] CEC with Optoma beamer and Denon AVR 1910 (/thread-371.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

CEC with Optoma beamer and Denon AVR 1910 - afarnedi - 31st Jan, 2013 03:00 AM

Hi all!
I'm struggling with my remotes to get them working with my raspy PI with Xbian installed.
My problem is I've my Raspy connected to an Optoma beamer HD20 fullhd via Denon AVR 1910 and I can't find the way to get the remote working via CEC; I know Denon supports CEC but I really don't know if I have to use either denon remote or Optoma one (also because I don't know if Optoma has the CEC feature). Rapsy is also connected to a Panny 42 (3 years old model, don't remember the name tho..) always through the Denon; to make the long story short; do I have any chance to get one of these remotes working with raspy?
Obviously CEC is enable in every device excpept for the Optoma in which I can't find any menù or sub menu to switch this feature on.
TIA for your kindly answers.
andrea

RE: CEC with Optoma beamer and Denon AVR 1910 - Koenkk - 1st Feb, 2013 11:11 PM

You have to use the remote of the device where the pi is directly connect to. Also cec is currently is having some compatibility issues with hardware because of a change in the raspberry pi firmware.

RE: CEC with Optoma beamer and Denon AVR 1910 - afarnedi - 1st Feb, 2013 11:18 PM

(1st Feb, 2013 11:11 PM)Koenkk Wrote:  You have to use the remote of the device where the pi is directly connect to. Also cec is currently is having some compatibility issues with hardware because of a change in the raspberry pi firmware.

ok, I get it. So, my rapy is directly connectec to Denon AVR but it doesn't work;this means my denon is not compatible with raspy? is there any way of make it work? I also have a logitech harmony...can this be somehow useful at my purpose?

RE: CEC with Optoma beamer and Denon AVR 1910 - CurlyMo - 1st Feb, 2013 11:22 PM

If you have an IR receiver then you can use the harmony

RE: CEC with Optoma beamer and Denon AVR 1910 - Koenkk - 1st Feb, 2013 11:23 PM

Can you try connecting it directly to your TV?

RE: CEC with Optoma beamer and Denon AVR 1910 - afarnedi - 1st Feb, 2013 11:24 PM

(1st Feb, 2013 11:22 PM)CurlyMo Wrote:  If you have an IR receiver then you can use the harmony

I should have it somewhere...but which devices I need to configure for Logitech?

(1st Feb, 2013 11:23 PM)Koenkk Wrote:  Can you try connecting it directly to your TV?

Yes I can, but I won't ever use raspy connected straight to tv but I do understand this can be just for a trial...but afterward the problem still remain...

RE: CEC with Optoma beamer and Denon AVR 1910 - CurlyMo - 1st Feb, 2013 11:27 PM

Set your harmony as an MCE Remote, then it should work out of the box.

RE: CEC with Optoma beamer and Denon AVR 1910 - afarnedi - 1st Feb, 2013 11:36 PM

(1st Feb, 2013 11:22 PM)CurlyMo Wrote:  If you have an IR receiver then you can use the harmony

assuming I could not find my old irda receiver anymore, are all receivers working or some are better then other? is there any compatible issue between different brands of IRDA receivers? sorry for bothering with such stupid questions but just want to be sure I buy the right one in case I have to. I saw on ebay some irda plus remote at 6,50€ shipping included that's really cheap...I'm wondering if this can work...
don't know if I can post the link to ebay...

RE: CEC with Optoma beamer and Denon AVR 1910 - CurlyMo - 1st Feb, 2013 11:39 PM

Not all receiver are generic so they do not always work. I just use a IR receiver connected to my GPIO called TSOP4838, will cost you € 1.50 (or less).

RE: CEC with Optoma beamer and Denon AVR 1910 - rikardo1979 - 2nd Feb, 2013 12:00 AM

(1st Feb, 2013 11:11 PM)Koenkk Wrote:  You have to use the remote of the device where the pi is directly connect to. Also cec is currently is having some compatibility issues with hardware because of a change in the raspberry pi firmware.

I need to correct you here Wink
you can use either remote in the chain of devices.
Example I have my RPi connected to RPi>ONKYO AV Receiver>Panasonic TV and I using remote from my TV to operate XBMC as I found it more comfy cos is smaller and lighter and also easier when I want to switch sources on TV.
So is really up to user what he prefer.
This can be easy set from SSH or direct RPi terminal by typing

Terminal
cec-config
and than just follow the instructions on screen

RE: CEC with Optoma beamer and Denon AVR 1910 - rikardo1979 - 2nd Feb, 2013 12:03 AM

@afarnedi
not sure of support of your devices but you can try what i have mentioned above

so log in over SSH

and than type

Terminal
cec-config

and follow the simple instructions

Good luck and post back
-thx-

RE: CEC with Optoma beamer and Denon AVR 1910 - afarnedi - 2nd Feb, 2013 12:37 AM

(2nd Feb, 2013 12:00 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  

I need to correct you here Wink
you can use either remote in the chain of devices.
Example I have my RPi connected to RPi>ONKYO AV Receiver>Panasonic TV and I using remote from my TV to operate XBMC as I found it more comfy cos is smaller and lighter and also easier when I want to switch sources on TV.
So is really up to user what he prefer.
This can be easy set from SSH or direct RPi terminal by typing

Terminal
cec-config
and than just follow the instructions on screen

uh...so both my Denon and my Optoma and my Panny are not working? seems really strange...I do not expect Optoma beamer remote works but I assume Denon and Panasonic should work...anyway, can't wait to try the cec-config from ssh as I'm back home from the office.

(1st Feb, 2013 11:39 PM)CurlyMo Wrote:  Not all receiver are generic so they do not always work. I just use a IR receiver connected to my GPIO called TSOP4838, will cost you € 1.50 (or less).

I've goggled TSOP4838 and found something it looks more like a component than a irda receiver; how do I connect to Raspy? I doesn't look like it has a usb plug

RE: CEC with Optoma beamer and Denon AVR 1910 - rikardo1979 - 2nd Feb, 2013 12:44 AM

just checked the the details of your Optoma projector and it does support CEC so I presume it should work even with remote from it.
Try that steps I mentioned and please post back

Optoma details
Quote:Optoma HD20 Projector: Pros

Good out of the Box picture quality (though greens are a touch weak)
Very good color accuracy post calibration in best mode
Well balanced, good overall picture quality, pretty natural skin tones
A very bright entry-level projector in its "best" mode, just above average brightness in its brightest mode
Two HDMI 1.3 inputs, full support for 24 fps, Deep Color, CEC etc.
Good, well structured menu system
Longer than average lamp life for lower cost of operation
No filters to change, minimizing maintenance
Small size makes it portable - a good choice for those backyard movie nights

BTW your Denon has CEC support too
Quote:Connectivity & Future-ready Expandability

Supports HDMI with 3D, Audio Return Channel, Deep Color, “x.v.Color”, Auto Lipsync and HDMI CEC control function
Direct play for iPod and iPhone via USB
7.2ch pre-out for maximum system expandability
11 speaker terminals for height/wide/B speakers
Multizone management (3 zones)

RE: CEC with Optoma beamer and Denon AVR 1910 - CurlyMo - 2nd Feb, 2013 12:47 AM

Connect it to the GPIO pins.

RE: CEC with Optoma beamer and Denon AVR 1910 - afarnedi - 2nd Feb, 2013 12:55 AM

(2nd Feb, 2013 12:47 AM)CurlyMo Wrote:  Connect it to the GPIO pins.

Huh ok, it doesn't seem within my reach
Since I'm not using both usb port on raspy, is there any contraindications using a usb receiver? are they working worse than GPIO pins receivers?