Forum
[PROBLEM] CEC with Optoma beamer and Denon AVR 1910 - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Hardware (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Remotes and CEC support (/forum-26.html)
+--- Thread: [PROBLEM] CEC with Optoma beamer and Denon AVR 1910 (/thread-371.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: CEC with Optoma beamer and Denon AVR 1910 - rikardo1979 - 2nd Feb, 2013 12:56 AM

just the quick search and here is some pretty nice HowTo do the option what @CurlyMo mentioned

IR HowTo

RE: CEC with Optoma beamer and Denon AVR 1910 - afarnedi - 2nd Feb, 2013 01:00 AM

(2nd Feb, 2013 12:44 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  just checked the the details of your Optoma projector and it does support CEC so I presume it should work even with remote from it.
Try that steps I mentioned and please post back

Optoma details
Quote:Optoma HD20 Projector: Pros

Good out of the Box picture quality (though greens are a touch weak)
Very good color accuracy post calibration in best mode
Well balanced, good overall picture quality, pretty natural skin tones
A very bright entry-level projector in its "best" mode, just above average brightness in its brightest mode
Two HDMI 1.3 inputs, full support for 24 fps, Deep Color, CEC etc.
Good, well structured menu system
Longer than average lamp life for lower cost of operation
No filters to change, minimizing maintenance
Small size makes it portable - a good choice for those backyard movie nights

BTW your Denon has CEC support too
Quote:Connectivity & Future-ready Expandability

Supports HDMI with 3D, Audio Return Channel, Deep Color, “x.v.Color”, Auto Lipsync and HDMI CEC control function
Direct play for iPod and iPhone via USB
7.2ch pre-out for maximum system expandability
11 speaker terminals for height/wide/B speakers
Multizone management (3 zones)

so, to wrap up the CEC features of my devices:
Optoma hd 20 CEC ok
Denon 1910 CEC ok
Panasonic (don't know model code but it's a plasma 42 inches 2/3 y old) CEC (Viera link) OK
but raspberry not responding at all...seems need to use this cec-config from putty even tho don't know what to expect after launched this command...I'll found out.

RE: CEC with Optoma beamer and Denon AVR 1910 - rikardo1979 - 2nd Feb, 2013 01:21 AM

pretty much Smile
if it will not connect and you will see just error messages in cec-config procedure than it might be the cable issue too, so you may try another cable.
Also if you have your RPi connected to RPi>AVR>TV or RPi>AVR>Optoma than try, just for test
RPi>TV or RPi>Optoma and better if you make ready another cable just in case Wink

RE: CEC with Optoma beamer and Denon AVR 1910 - afarnedi - 2nd Feb, 2013 01:33 AM

(2nd Feb, 2013 01:21 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  pretty much Smile
if it will not connect and you will see just error messages in cec-config procedure than it might be the cable issue too, so you may try another cable.
Also if you have your RPi connected to RPi>AVR>TV or RPi>AVR>Optoma than try, just for test
RPi>TV or RPi>Optoma and better if you make ready another cable just in case Wink

uhm, thinking again to my connections scheme, I did realize that between Denon and Panny/optoma there is also a hdmi extender/splitter with optoma connected using 2 ethernet cables covering almost 5/6 meters distance...this is the solutions the guys that installed me the home cinema suggested for covering long distances...could this be the problem? but denon is connected directly to raspPI without any extender in between.

RE: CEC with Optoma beamer and Denon AVR 1910 - rikardo1979 - 2nd Feb, 2013 01:43 AM

good point Wink the extender may cause the issue. I know this solution with CAT cables to extend the HDMI connections as is the best way to doing the long distance extension without loosing quality.
Would be worth to check what are exact models of the extenders/spliters, if they have CEC support and also check with the company who installed it and ask if they extend HDMI fully or if they skipped some wires and used just basic cos if they not wired pin 13 than that would be the reason Wink

RE: CEC with Optoma beamer and Denon AVR 1910 - afarnedi - 2nd Feb, 2013 02:03 AM

(2nd Feb, 2013 01:43 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  good point Wink the extender may cause the issue. I know this solution with CAT cables to extend the HDMI connections as is the best way to doing the long distance extension without loosing quality.
Would be worth to check what are exact models of the extenders/spliters, if they have CEC support and also check with the company who installed it and ask if they extend HDMI fully or if they skipped some wires and used just basic cos if they not wired pin 13 than that would be the reason Wink

I'm gonna call them and ask. Btw I'm still thinking to my Denon....there no cat extender between him and raspy, I'm wondering why it doesn't work...

RE: CEC with Optoma beamer and Denon AVR 1910 - rikardo1979 - 2nd Feb, 2013 02:06 AM

that might be cos the default CEC setting is usually set to TV mode
Try the cec-config and there will be a question if you are connected to TV or AVR so select AVR option and see if it helps Wink

RE: CEC with Optoma beamer and Denon AVR 1910 - afarnedi - 2nd Feb, 2013 02:09 AM

(2nd Feb, 2013 02:06 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  that might be cos the default CEC setting is usually set to TV mode
Try the cec-config and there will be a question if you are connected to TV or AVR so select AVR option and see if it helps Wink

CAN'T WAIT! I'll keep you posted!

RE: CEC with Optoma beamer and Denon AVR 1910 - CurlyMo - 2nd Feb, 2013 03:08 AM

Essentially they do the same. But GPIO solution is a lot cheaper and just as easy.

RE: CEC with Optoma beamer and Denon AVR 1910 - afarnedi - 2nd Feb, 2013 03:21 AM

(2nd Feb, 2013 02:06 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  that might be cos the default CEC setting is usually set to TV mode

hi! here I ma again!
after launched the cec-config command I got like a loop of the same errore message:

"opening a connection to the CEC adapter...
ERROR: unhandled response received: opcode=0 initiator=1 destination=0 response =1
CEC Parser created - libCEC version 2.0.5
Sending 'power on' command to the TV
=== Please wait ===
ERROR: unhandled response received: opcode=0 initiator=1 destination=0 response =1
ERROR: unhandled response received: opcode=0 initiator=1 destination=0 response =1"
so what is it? where did I go wrong?

RE: CEC with Optoma beamer and Denon AVR 1910 - rikardo1979 - 2nd Feb, 2013 03:21 AM

(2nd Feb, 2013 03:08 AM)CurlyMo Wrote:  Essentially they do the same. But GPIO solution is a lot cheaper and just as easy.

not really Smile
if you have connected to device over HDMI what have CEC that would mean
  • no extra remote
  • no extra cost for IR receiver (even a little money is money)
  • no extra work with wiring and placing the receiver

Tongue

RE: CEC with Optoma beamer and Denon AVR 1910 - rikardo1979 - 2nd Feb, 2013 03:30 AM

so are you connected to your Denon directly ?
you may try this but not sure if is going to help you
Add this line into your /boot/config.txt
Code:
hdmi_force_hotplug=1

you can do it from SSH if you like

Terminal
sudo su
nano /boot/config.txt

Than add the line to the bottom and Save

Terminal
reboot

try

RE: CEC with Optoma beamer and Denon AVR 1910 - afarnedi - 2nd Feb, 2013 10:06 AM

(2nd Feb, 2013 03:30 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  so are you connected to your Denon directly ?
Code:
hdmi_force_hotplug=1

Terminal
sudo su
nano /boot/config.txt

Terminal
reboot

try
I'm out for the weekend now (skiing Big Grin)
Sunday I'll give it a try. I let you know. Thanks for the help so far.

RE: CEC with Optoma beamer and Denon AVR 1910 - afarnedi - 2nd Feb, 2013 04:50 PM

(2nd Feb, 2013 03:30 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  so are you connected to your Denon directly ?
Code:
hdmi_force_hotplug=1

Terminal
sudo su
nano /boot/config.txt

Terminal
reboot

try

RE: CEC with Optoma beamer and Denon AVR 1910 - afarnedi - 4th Feb, 2013 10:53 PM

(2nd Feb, 2013 10:06 AM)afarnedi Wrote:  
Code:
hdmi_force_hotplug=1

Terminal
sudo su
nano /boot/config.txt

Terminal
reboot

try

hi, ehm, feeling really a newbie in linux...but I don't know how to save after entered the command
hdmi_force_hotplug=1