Forum
[SOLVED] Questions about home backup - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Community (/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Feedback (/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: [SOLVED] Questions about home backup (/thread-3753.html)

Questions about home backup - Trespasser - 20th Aug, 2016 12:58 PM

Hi,
I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer for me. Do you unzip the *.img.gz file before placing it in put_here_to_restore or do you leave it zipped? Also, can you save the restore file (*.img.gz) to a fat32 usb drive?

The reason I ask is because today I tried restoring my home backup file 3 or 4 times, placing the *.img.gz file in the put_here_to_restore folder, and it didn't work. Once I placed the file in the folder a few seconds later Xbian totally shutdown. I turned it back on... it booted back into Kodi...but nothing had changed. Is there something I'm not doing properly?

BTW, I'm a LibreELEC convert. Xbian is really nimble. I'm surprised that I like it so well.

I'm running a Pi3 with a Sandisk Extreme 16 gig SD card. I'm using the latest Xbian Pi3 version.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Bob

RE: Questions about home backup - Nachteule - 20th Aug, 2016 08:43 PM

(20th Aug, 2016 12:58 PM)Trespasser Wrote:  Hi,
I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer for me. Do you unzip the *.img.gz file before placing it in

No

Quote:put_here_to_restore or do you leave it zipped? Also, can you save the restore file (*.img.gz) to a fat32 usb drive?

Leave it as it is. Do not modifiy it. You can copy this file for backup to each place you want

Quote:The reason I ask is because today I tried restoring my home backup file 3 or 4 times, placing the *.img.gz file in the put_here_to_restore folder, and it didn't work. Once I placed the file in the folder a few seconds later Xbian totally shutdown. I turned it back on... it booted back into Kodi...but nothing had changed. Is there something I'm not doing properly?

Could you please describe what you are doing exactly?. This sounds like an issue I already solved months ago.

Perhaps you have an power supply issue. I had to change this at one of my RPi1 I used for more than two years. This operation requires a lot of (CPU-)power

Quote:BTW, I'm a LibreELEC convert. Xbian is really nimble. I'm surprised that I like it so well.

I'm running a Pi3 with a Sandisk Extreme 16 gig SD card. I'm using the latest Xbian Pi3 version.

Image from this weekend?

RE: Questions about home backup - Nachteule - 20th Aug, 2016 08:55 PM

Just tested this function again: absolutely no problem

RE: Questions about home backup - Trespasser - 20th Aug, 2016 11:43 PM

Hi Nachteule,
The name of the image I downloaded was Xbian_Latest_rp3.img.gz. I downloaded this file no more than 2 or 3 days ago.

Have a good one.

Bob

RE: Questions about home backup - Trespasser - 21st Aug, 2016 04:20 AM

Hi Nachteule,
I found out what was causing my problem. I had been supplying power to my Pi3 via a cable to my TV's usb port. Once I connected the original power supply (2.5 amps) it restored my home backup image just fine.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

Best regards,
Bob

RE: Questions about home backup - Nachteule - 21st Aug, 2016 05:26 AM

Fine, so we can set this thread to solved Smile

RE: Questions about home backup - zalinka - 12th Jan, 2024 01:44 PM

(20th Aug, 2016 11:43 PM)Trespasser Wrote:  Hi Nachteule, ragdoll archers
The name of the image I downloaded was Xbian_Latest_rp3.img.gz. I downloaded this file no more than 2 or 3 days ago.

Have a good one.

Bob

I figured out what was making my issue worse. I had been powering my Pi3 by connecting it to the USB connection on my TV.