Forum
[PROBLEM] No space left on device (but there actually is) - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Configuration (/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: [PROBLEM] No space left on device (but there actually is) (/thread-3852.html)

No space left on device (but there actually is) - ulfwin - 26th Oct, 2016 05:58 AM

Software
XBian version: XBian 1.0 (knockout), kernel: Linux ARM 32-bit version 4.4.7+
XBMC/Kodi version: 16.1-RC2
Overclock settings: default

Hi!

I started to see some unreliable behavior when running "sudo apt-get update". Different error every time, like:
  1. Bus error
  2. Reading package list taking for ever
  3. E: Method gave invalid 103 Redirect message

At some point the update seemed to work, and I tried "sudo apt-get upgrade" and after that the SD card is constantly listed as full, even though there's supposed to be plenty of space.

I can ssh without problem, but not much else works (like restoring snapshot). df gives me this conflicting information:

Terminal
xbian@xbian ~ $ df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mmcblk0p2 15G 3.9G 0 100% /
none 4.0K 0 4.0K 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
devtmpfs 363M 4.0K 363M 1% /dev
/dev/mmcblk0p2 15G 3.9G 0 100% /home
/dev/mmcblk0p2 15G 3.9G 0 100% /lib/modules
none 74M 300K 74M 1% /run
/dev/mmcblk0p1 68M 25M 44M 36% /boot

The thing is that I've experienced temporary pseudo-disk-fill-up before with Xbian, and I always assumed it to be due to brtfs being experimental. But as far as I understand it's supposed to be quite stable by now.

Prio nr 1 for me would be to restore Xbian, if that possible.[/code] Some understanding of why this is happening would however also be great!

Would anyone be able to help?

Thanks in advance!

RE: No space left on device (but there actually is) - Nachteule - 26th Oct, 2016 10:22 PM

It's impossible to say what's going wrong.

Yes, BTRFS is quite stable and I ran more than on time in disk full state (usually having too many snapshots)

Maybe you have got a hardware fault

RE: No space left on device (but there actually is) - Skywatch - 27th Oct, 2016 03:49 AM

I hate to point out the obvious here, but have you tried another memory card and power supply and swapped out cables?

Sometimes the simple things get overlooked! - At least with me Shy

RE: No space left on device (but there actually is) - Nachteule - 27th Oct, 2016 04:07 AM

... or making weekly image backups Exclamation

A restore is faster than writing new post Tongue

Just did it last weekend. After installing new test kernel (4.8.whatever) root partition was completely gone away (no BTRFS, no superblock -- nothing)

RE: No space left on device (but there actually is) - ulfwin - 31st Oct, 2016 02:10 AM

I'm already successfully running another memory card with a fresh Xbian install, so most likely nothing with cables nor power supply. Could of course be the memory card.

In any case, let's forget the old, and look ahead!

@Nachteule: could you share what your preferred way to make weekly backups is?

Can I simply replace the home directory on the new install with my old, to save time setting up kodi and xbian? Or is that a bad idea? (reading from the old memory card still works fine)

Grateful for any tip!

RE: No space left on device (but there actually is) - Nachteule - 31st Oct, 2016 03:17 AM

(31st Oct, 2016 02:10 AM)ulfwin Wrote:  @Nachteule: could you share what your preferred way to make weekly backups is?

All you need is XBian-config GUI.

Look into the backup category. You can make 2 kinds of backups (daily, weekly or monthly):
1) backup of your /home directory
2) complete backup of your sd-card

Quote:Can I simply replace the home directory on the new install with my old, to save time setting up kodi and xbian? Or is that a bad idea? (reading from the old memory card still works fine)

Sure, you can Smile

RE: No space left on device (but there actually is) - ulfwin - 31st Oct, 2016 07:50 AM

(31st Oct, 2016 03:17 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  
(31st Oct, 2016 02:10 AM)ulfwin Wrote:  @Nachteule: could you share what your preferred way to make weekly backups is?

All you need is XBian-config GUI.

Look into the backup category. You can make 2 kinds of backups (daily, weekly or monthly):
1) backup of your /home directory
2) complete backup of your sd-card

Quote:Can I simply replace the home directory on the new install with my old, to save time setting up kodi and xbian? Or is that a bad idea? (reading from the old memory card still works fine)

Sure, you can Smile

Replacing the home directory seems to have worked great!

In the xbian-config gui however, I only seem to be able to make a backup on the spot, not schedule a regular backup (I checked both through kodi and the command line). Is that not the case for you?

RE: No space left on device (but there actually is) - Nachteule - 31st Oct, 2016 08:06 AM

Oh sorry, I forgot. This is advanced function, you have to enable Advanced Mode in XBian-Config Category Preferences

RE: No space left on device (but there actually is) - ulfwin - 31st Oct, 2016 11:03 PM

Got it! It's now setup so a backup image is stored on the USB hard drive I've connected, once per week.

Thanks for the help!