Forum
[SOLVED] Network connection drops on eth0 - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Hardware (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Network (/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: [SOLVED] Network connection drops on eth0 (/thread-3862.html)

Network connection drops on eth0 - supernano - 23rd Nov, 2016 06:59 PM

I have my pi connected via Ethernet to my network. I have been using it with no problems for long time but since last week, the network connection drops after every few minutes. At first instance I can wait à short while and it comes back, but after a few times eventually it drops for good and I need tho restart.
I tried rolling back and reinstalling xbian (albeit restoring the home folder) and the problem still persists.
I was wondering if there was some way to monitor the processes using the network, or if anyone has any other ideas.
I've seen similar threads on the forum but didn't really see any solutions.
Let me know if there's any log I can provide to help troubleshoot.
Thanks!

RE: Network connection drops on eth0 - Skywatch - 23rd Nov, 2016 07:32 PM

I had a problem like this with something (not a pi). Same symptoms. Turned out to be the power supply failing, so I would start with that.

If you have a volt meter measure across the points TP1 and TP2 on the pi. You should see a steady voltage. If in doubt try another power supply (maybe one rated at more Amps (mA)) and see if it helps.

RE: Network connection drops on eth0 - Nachteule - 23rd Nov, 2016 11:56 PM

@supernano
Did you already checked/changed network cable and port of your switch? Maybe rebooting switch could help

RE: Network connection drops on eth0 - supernano - 25th Nov, 2016 03:55 AM

It was the power supply! I should've tried that first. I've been using an apple 10W adapter, so I didn't think that would fail. I guess no adapter are immune to the old pis.
Thanks again for your help.

RE: Network connection drops on eth0 - Nachteule - 25th Nov, 2016 04:40 AM

Fine Smile Set to solved