Forum
[PROBLEM] No access to Xbian setup through Samba - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Configuration (/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: [PROBLEM] No access to Xbian setup through Samba (/thread-3897.html)

No access to Xbian setup through Samba - jakenl - 28th Apr, 2017 07:55 AM

Running up-to-date Krypton version on a RPI 2:

I used to be able to have free access to my Xbian shares via either Windows or Android devices through Samba. Today I planned to move some files to these shares and I couldn't get access to those shares with any device .
I can ping the Xbian setup fine, SSH works, remote control of Kodi all works OK. Xbian is visiible in the network section of Windows Explorer and Android ES File Explorer. Samba is running, but when I try to disable or restart it in xbian-config, the config tool crashes on me. Online I don't find a lot of information on how to error check this issue.

RE: No access to Xbian setup through Samba - Nachteule - 29th Apr, 2017 05:20 AM

(28th Apr, 2017 07:55 AM)jakenl Wrote:  Running up-to-date Krypton version on a RPI 2:

I used to be able to have free access to my Xbian shares via either Windows or Android devices through Samba. Today I planned to move some files to these shares and I couldn't get access to those shares with any device .

Do you see the shares in Explorer?

Quote:I can ping the Xbian setup fine, SSH works, remote control of Kodi all works OK. Xbian is visiible in the network section of Windows Explorer and Android ES File Explorer. Samba is running, but when I try to disable or restart it in xbian-config, the config tool crashes on me. Online I don't find a lot of information on how to error check this issue.

Which xbian-config do you mean? The text based or Kodi's XBian-config GUI?

Usually I have Samba (nmbd service) disabled, don't need it. But just tested, can access shares, can create and delete files without any issues (Windows XP and Windows 7 tested)

Using text based xbian-config seems to crash when enabling/disabling samba service. Have to investigate later

You can test it manually

Terminal

root@kmxbilr2 ~ # sudo status nmbd
nmbd start/running, process 27958
root@kmxbilr2 ~ #

and file /etc/inetd.conf must contain following lines

Code:
netbios-ssn stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/smbd smbd
microsoft-ds stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/smbd smbd

and, of course, service openbsd-inetd must be active

Terminal

root@kmxbilr2 ~ # sudo status openbsd-inetd
openbsd-inetd start/running, process 1702
root@kmxbilr2 ~ #

RE: No access to Xbian setup through Samba - jakenl - 29th Apr, 2017 08:00 AM

@Nachteule, I checked your suggestions and everything is in place. Yes, the crash was with the CLI xbian-config only, however in the GUI-version I wasn't able to to either restart or stop Samba.

Since I am afraid something went off-track because of me trying to install a bunch of non-Xbian packages, I decided to check out the snap-shot functionality and see what happened if I rolled back to a snap shot of before my fooling around with those extra packages. Sure enough this worked and Samba was woring again as well.

A bit of a dirty trick, on the other hand I have now a cleaner system as well, not having the other installed programs anymore that gave quite some errors during installation anyway.

RE: No access to Xbian setup through Samba - Nachteule - 29th Apr, 2017 08:06 AM

(29th Apr, 2017 08:00 AM)jakenl Wrote:  @Nachteule, I checked your suggestions and everything is in place. Yes, the crash was with the CLI xbian-config only,
A bit of a dirty trick, on the other hand I have now a cleaner system as well, not having the other installed programs anymore that gave quite some errors during installation anyway.

Not a dirty trick, for this reason snapshots are there Smile

Would be interesting which package caused this issue Huh

RE: No access to Xbian setup through Samba - Nachteule - 2nd May, 2017 04:44 AM

For the sake of completeness:

Samba service is managed by inetd and can not be stopped. A restart restarts the inetd service

Found and solved some issues, see this commit

RE: No access to Xbian setup through Samba - jakenl - 2nd May, 2017 05:33 AM

Glad to see that my fooling around with unintended packages leads to an improvement of xbian!