Forum
The whole Systemd/Upstart dance - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Configuration (/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: The whole Systemd/Upstart dance (/thread-3916.html)

The whole Systemd/Upstart dance - palswim - 1st Jul, 2017 03:12 PM

In the XBian FAQ, the Why should I not use apt-get section reads:
Quote:In case of wheezy it is trying to install sysvinit system (which conflicts with upstart, which is what xbian uses).

That's all fine, but that information comes from (early) 2015, and it looks like Kodi depends on Systemd. My system has systemd, and if I try to uninstall it, the package manager wants to remove a whole host of other packages, including xbian-package-xbmc. But, Systemd doesn't have everything it needs because if I try to use it, it gives me errors similar to:
Terminal
> # systemctl status postfix # but, with an attempt at Tab-completion in the middle
> systemctl status postfFailed to get D-Bus connection: Unknown error -1
ix
Failed to get D-Bus connection: Unknown error -1

My system has been ambling along in this state for a while, but this all came to a head when I started trying to nail down my Syslog. Eventually, I discovered that klogd does not work with Systemd (specifically Journald). It sounds like I can have a normal syslog alongside Journald through syslog-ng or rsyslog, but all of this caused me to start wondering:

Assuming that XBian uses Upstart, should I have Systemd on my system? And if so, am I missing a package that will make Systemd work properly?

RE: The whole Systemd/Upstart dance - Nachteule - 1st Jul, 2017 07:52 PM

(1st Jul, 2017 03:12 PM)palswim Wrote:  In the XBian FAQ, the Why should I not use apt-get section reads:
Quote:In case of wheezy it is trying to install sysvinit system (which conflicts with upstart, which is what xbian uses).

That's all fine, but that information comes from (early) 2015, and it looks like Kodi depends on Systemd. My system has

This is not correct!

Terminal

root@kmxbilr ~ # dpkg-query -s xbian-package-xbmc | grep Depends
Depends: libasound2 (>= 1.0.27), libavahi-client3 (>= 0.6.16), libavahi-common3 (>= 0.6.16), libbluetooth3 (>= 4.91), libbz2-1.0, libc6 (>= 2.17), libcap2 (>= 1:2.10), libcdio13 (>= 0.83), libdbus-1-3 (>= 1.9.14), libexpat1 (>= 2.0.1), libflac8 (>= 1.3.0), libfreetype6 (>= 2.2.1), libfribidi0 (>= 0.19.2), libgcc1 (>= 1:3.5), libgcrypt20 (>= 1.7.0), libgmp10, libgnutls30 (>= 3.5.6), libgpg-error0 (>= 1.14), libhogweed4, libidn11 (>= 1.13), liblzma5 (>= 5.1.1alpha+20120614), liblzo2-2, libmariadbclient18 (>= 5.5.36), libmicrohttpd12 (>= 0.9.50), libnettle6, libogg0 (>= 1.0rc3), libp11-kit0 (>= 0.2), libpcre3, libpcrecpp0v5 (>= 7.7), libpulse0 (>= 0.99.1), libpython2.7 (>= 2.7), libsmbclient (>= 2:4.0.3+dfsg1), libspeex1 (>= 1.2~beta3-1), libsqlite3-0 (>= 3.6.11), libssh-4 (>= 0.6.1), libssl1.0.2 (>= 1.0.2d), libstdc++6 (>= 6), libtag1v5 (>= 1.11), libtasn1-6 (>= 4.5), libtinyxml2.6.2v5, libudev1 (>= 183), libuuid1 (>= 2.16), libvorbis0a (>= 1.1.2), libvorbisenc2 (>= 1.1.2), libx11-6, libxml2 (>= 2.7.4), libxslt1.1 (>= 1.1.25), libyajl2 (>= 2.0.4), zlib1g (>= 1:1.2.0.2), xbian-package-firmware (>= 2.6.0) | firmware-imx (>= 2.0.0), xbian-package-config-xbmc, xbian-package-shairplay, xbian-package-xbmc-scripts (>= 1.1.0), xbian-package-xbianhome, alsa-tools, consolekit, python-imaging, python-sqlite, ttf-dejavu-core, udisks2, libgif7, libplist2 | libplist3, libnfs4 | libnfs8, libass5, libsdl-image1.2, librtmp1, libmpeg2-4, libbluetooth3, libcec (>= 4.0.0), libmad0, libtiff5, libafpclient0, libsamplerate0, libpng12-0 | libpng16-16, libaacs0, libbluray1, libenca0, libfontconfig1, libvorbisfile3, libcurl3-gnutls

You can see, there is no systemd stuff listed

Quote:systemd, and if I try to uninstall it, the package manager wants to remove a whole host of other packages,

That's because other packages having dependencies to systemd stuff (like udev for example)

Quote:including xbian-package-xbmc. But, Systemd doesn't have everything it needs because if I try to use it, it gives me errors similar to:
Terminal
> # systemctl status postfix # but, with an attempt at Tab-completion in the middle
> systemctl status postfFailed to get D-Bus connection: Unknown error -1
ix
Failed to get D-Bus connection: Unknown error -1

You're getting this error because of upstart as init manager is running

Terminal

root@kmxbilr /etc/init.d # [ -x /sbin/initctl ] && /sbin/initctl version 2>/dev/null
init (upstart 1.13.2)
root@kmxbilr /etc/init.d #

Quote:My system has been ambling along in this state for a while, but this all came to a head when I started trying to nail down my Syslog. Eventually, I discovered that klogd does not work with Systemd (specifically Journald). It sounds like I can have a normal syslog alongside Journald through syslog-ng or rsyslog, but all of this caused me to start wondering:

Assuming that XBian uses Upstart, should I have Systemd on my system? And if so, am I missing a package that will make Systemd work properly?

See above, you can not deinstall systemd completely because of dependencies from other packages but systemd is definitely not running. And rsyslog (I'm using since years) does not having any problems with this situation