Forum
Jumpy Fast Forward and Rewind - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Kodi (/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Jumpy Fast Forward and Rewind (/thread-3946.html)

Jumpy Fast Forward and Rewind - Don Pedro - 27th Nov, 2017 08:05 AM

Hello!

Dunno if this is related to XBian, Kodi or the tvh plugin!
  • I'm on a Raspi-3 with Kodi 17.6 on the current XBian.
  • However the problems were already present with Kodi 17.2 and higher, there they were even much worse.
  • Video codecs/licenses are installed.
  • I'm using the tvheadend backend to stream from a tvheadend server (x64 Debian, hexacore machine).
  • I tried TS and MKV format on the server, no difference.

Is anyone experiencing the same problems:
During playback of a video I'm trying to FF or rewind the video (e. g. skip some recorded ads). This functionality is somewhat "jumpy", means the cursor is e.g. advancing several 30s but then unexpectedly jumps back to the position I started from (mostly when releasing the FF-key). You can hardly navigate to a specific position, as it's always jumping back towards the old start position of the FF. Rewind is equally misbehaving.
If on the contrary I pause the video prior to FFing/rewinding things behave more or less as expected. So I suppose the advancing of the running stream is somehow interferring with the FF/rewind algorithm, yielding this annoying behavior.

BTW: The FF/rewind function is not very comfortable, dunno if anyone already mentioned that! Nice would be to increase/reverse the playback speed instead of jumping a couple of seconds ahead/back, yielding a much better FF-experience as many may know it from old VCR's and stuff. Are there reasons why this is not possible?

Regards

Don

RE: Jumpy Fast Forward and Rewind - Nachteule - 27th Nov, 2017 09:04 AM

Are we talking about LiveTV or Recordings?

HD or SD resolution?

Which stream profile are you using?

I'm running TVHeadend (stream profile pass) and VDR as PVR backend, and usually moving Forward/Reverse when watching TVHeadend LiveTV is still buggy. That's working perfect with VDR as backend

but

watching recordings works without any issues with TVH and VDR as backend

Quote:BTW: The FF/rewind function is not very comfortable, dunno if anyone already mentioned that! Nice would be to increase/reverse the playback speed instead of jumping a couple of seconds ahead/back, yielding a much better FF-experience as many may know it from old VCR's and stuff. Are there reasons why this is not possible?

Maybe you could solve this by setting up your personal keymap file. But IMO Kodi forum is better place for discussing that Dodgy

RE: Jumpy Fast Forward and Rewind - Don Pedro - 27th Nov, 2017 09:27 AM

(27th Nov, 2017 09:04 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  Are we talking about LiveTV or Recordings?

Recordings (But if I'm right timeshifted live TV has similar problems).

(27th Nov, 2017 09:04 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  HD or SD resolution?

Both have the same issues, it does not depend on resolution.

(27th Nov, 2017 09:04 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  Which stream profile are you using?

As said, I tried TS and MVK, both are problematic. I used standard profile pass.

(27th Nov, 2017 09:04 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  I'm running TVHeadend (stream profile pass) and VDR as PVR backend, and usually moving Forward/Reverse when watching TVHeadend LiveTV is still buggy. That's working perfect with VDR as backend

but

watching recordings works without any issues with TVH and VDR as backend

Not with TVH here unfortunately.
VDR I can't tell. Tried that in the beginning, however I couldn't get a single(!!) lousy picture out of VDR during hours of trying, whereas TVH was operational right from the start in a couple of minutes. This was the point when I quickly abandoned VDR in fragments of a sec. Maybe this was due to my receiver, I'm using an MEG-8000 SAT-IP server. This device has a rather bad reputation on the VDR forum, allegedly it get's locked regularly due to bad firmware and users are claiming it was a cheap piece of crap. I cannot confirm this, but I'm suspicious that this device simply isn't supported well by VDR. Under TVH I did not experience one single lock in several months of operation, it's just operating absolutely flawless. So I'm blaming VDR for all the problems. As said, I coudn't even get it running under VDR at all and I'm not easily gving up on problems...

Quote:Maybe you could solve this by setting up your personal keymap file. But IMO Kodi forum is better place for discussing that Dodgy

Yep, think so. It was just a thought that came into my mind, even if FF/rew would operate as intended it could still be improved.

Cheerz

Don

RE: Jumpy Fast Forward and Rewind - Nachteule - 27th Nov, 2017 09:44 AM

Ah, ok. you're using SAT-IP, maybe this is the difference.

Seems that Kodi can't handle the video stream correctly, but I'm not an expert in such things

You could post your problem on TVheadend or Kodi forum, hopefully you can get help from there

I'm using DVB-C here

RE: Jumpy Fast Forward and Rewind - Nachteule - 27th Nov, 2017 09:51 AM

BTW, usually I never use FF and FR, I'm using (Big-)Skip Forward/Reverse, that's more useful for me Smile

RE: Jumpy Fast Forward and Rewind - Don Pedro - 28th Nov, 2017 03:45 AM

(27th Nov, 2017 09:44 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  Ah, ok. you're using SAT-IP, maybe this is the difference.

Seems that Kodi can't handle the video stream correctly, but I'm not an expert in such things

You could post your problem on TVheadend or Kodi forum, hopefully you can get help from there

I'm using DVB-C here

Not sure! Basically TVH pushes a TS or MKV on its disc. Where it came from doesn't make a big difference (or cannot be seen). The only thing could be that picture parameters inside the containers are different. I have some TS-files from DVB-T and some mp4-files from a mediathek download somewhere on my disc. Will check if these behave different.

OK, will ask on Kodi and/or TVH, maybe they know more about it.

BTW: Do you know who's maintaining the TVH client plugin? It could also be a problem of the plugin, right?
BTW II: How do I get FF/FR as well as Big Skip FF/FR on a keyboard? I was always using cursor left/right for moving in a record, whatever that maps to...

Cheerz

Don

RE: Jumpy Fast Forward and Rewind - Nachteule - 28th Nov, 2017 06:12 AM

(28th Nov, 2017 03:45 AM)Don Pedro Wrote:  Not sure! Basically TVH pushes a TS or MKV on its disc. Where it came from doesn't make a big difference (or cannot be seen). The only thing could be that picture parameters inside the containers are different. I have some TS-files from DVB-T and some mp4-files from a mediathek download somewhere on my disc. Will check if these behave different.

OK, will ask on Kodi and/or TVH, maybe they know more about it.

BTW: Do you know who's maintaining the TVH client plugin? It could also be a problem of the plugin, right?

Supposingly ksooo, all recent commits came from this guy

Quote:BTW II: How do I get FF/FR as well as Big Skip FF/FR on a keyboard? I was always using cursor left/right for moving in a record, whatever that maps to...

Don't know, never using keyboard. I have mapped it to the CEC RC cursor buttons (up --> big skip F, down --> big skip R, right --> skip F, left --> skip R)