Forum
[SOLVED] Security patches for Meltdown and Spectre going to... - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Community (/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Other news (/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: [SOLVED] Security patches for Meltdown and Spectre going to... (/thread-3954.html)

Security patches for Meltdown and Spectre going to... - Exnor - 5th Jan, 2018 12:27 AM

... have an impact on Xbian performance?

So apparently an 18yo+ problem with the way virtual address tables are handle has come to light and if the articles i've read are correct it affects ARM cores too (not all according to the official list of affected processors/cores BUT it might be found out it can affect other so...)

Since its predicted that the mitigation process will have an impact on performance up to 50% (especially on i386) i would like to ask the devs here if we can expect this type of impact on the Raspberry Pi's.

Sources about this problem:

Official page about the research
Ars Technica: Meltdown and Spectre every modern processor has unfixable security flaws
The current state of kernel page-table isolation

RE: Security patches for Meltdown and Spectre going to... - Nachteule - 5th Jan, 2018 01:32 AM

Sorry, no idea Dodgy

Being honestly, I'm not a masochist an usually I'm ignoring such themes completely - and I'm sleeping well Tongue

If ARM's are vulnerable and the kernel devs are integrating fixes, ok. If not - doesn't bother me

RE: Security patches for Meltdown and Spectre going to... - Exnor - 7th Jan, 2018 03:13 AM

(5th Jan, 2018 01:32 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  Sorry, no idea Dodgy

Being honestly, I'm not a masochist an usually I'm ignoring such themes completely - and I'm sleeping well Tongue

If ARM's are vulnerable and the kernel devs are integrating fixes, ok. If not - doesn't bother me

Raspberry Pi foundation just realesed a statement explaining why none of the Pi versions are susceptible to this, so I'm marking as solved Smile

Explanation link

RE: Security patches for Meltdown and Spectre going to... - Nachteule - 7th Jan, 2018 07:36 AM

Thanks for posting the link, its very informative