Forum
Xbian-copier not working.... - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Configuration (/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: Xbian-copier not working.... (/thread-3955.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Xbian-copier not working.... - Nachteule - 13th May, 2018 04:13 AM

(13th May, 2018 02:56 AM)Skywatch Wrote:  You see, I told you it wasn't working Tongue

I never doubted it Shy

Quote:I'll try again tomorrow as I had a little bit of an accident today and definitly ruined a 64Gb microSD card, maybe a pi3 as well - need to look into that urgently. Could take some time though. Sad

You are a silicon murder Tongue

Quote:Thanks for confirming that the problem was really there and not just in my head! Wink

I'll try to reproduce this issue, have a spare old 20GB external disk for that

Anyway, why not cloning complete sd-card to your usb stick, that gives you the opportunity to run sd-card less configuration on a Pi3(+)

RE: Xbian-copier not working.... - Skywatch - 13th May, 2018 06:28 AM

(13th May, 2018 04:13 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  I never doubted it Shy

Heeee.....

(13th May, 2018 04:13 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  You are a silicon murder Tongue

All the stress from silicon will kill me first...
(13th May, 2018 04:13 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  I'll try to reproduce this issue, have a spare old 20GB external disk for that

Anyway, why not cloning complete sd-card to your usb stick, that gives you the opportunity to run sd-card less configuration on a Pi3(+)

Not sure it is worth trying to recreate at the moment - and I am using Rpi2, as per your recommendation! Tongue

Still the oter pi3 seems to have survived - will test fully tomorrow if the weather is bad! (pretty much a certainty here)...... Confused

RE: Xbian-copier not working.... - Skywatch - 13th May, 2018 07:34 AM

@Nachteule More progress on this now and I think I know what might have caused the issue....

Do you want my good news first or bad news first? Wink

RE: Xbian-copier not working.... - Nachteule - 13th May, 2018 07:36 AM

(13th May, 2018 07:34 AM)Skywatch Wrote:  @Nachteule More progress on this now and I think I know what might have caused the issue....

Do you want my good news first or bad news first? Wink

It's your decision ...

RE: Xbian-copier not working.... - Skywatch - 13th May, 2018 07:47 AM

So here we go then......

Good News.

1. SDA1 is now mounting normally.
2. Copied image successfully.
3. Running from USB again almost prefectly.

Bad News.

1. Kodi does not auto start, hangs at network started. I can ssh in and 'sudo service xbmc start' and all is well.
2. All media libraries (movies/tvshows/music) are gone again.

RE: Xbian-copier not working.... - Nachteule - 13th May, 2018 08:04 AM

(13th May, 2018 07:47 AM)Skywatch Wrote:  So here we go then......

Good News.

1. SDA1 is now mounting normally
2. Copied image successfully
3. Running from USB again almost prefectly.

Sweet, but if I read "Bad news" , almost perfectly is probably a little over the top Big Grin

Quote:Bad News.

1. Kodi does not auto start, hangs at network started. I can ssh in and 'sudo service xbmc start' and all is well.

Sounds famiiliar. Most reason for that is, not all mounts can be done. Please check /etc/fstab and look if all configured entries are mounted

Quote:2. All media libraries (movies/tvshows/music) are gone again.

First, solve 1) and then we can continue ...

RE: Xbian-copier not working.... - Skywatch - 13th May, 2018 07:03 PM

(13th May, 2018 08:04 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  Sounds famiiliar. Most reason for that is, not all mounts can be done. Please check /etc/fstab and look if all configured entries are mounted

You are absolutely right there - I checked the fstab file and found 2 mount points I added yesterday for testing to see the sda1/sda5 contents...... Removed them and boot is normal Big Grin

(13th May, 2018 08:04 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  First, solve 1) and then we can continue ...

Libraries (mysql) have magically returned! Smile ....Now doing the other pi2 I had the same problem with.

RE: Xbian-copier not working.... - Nachteule - 14th May, 2018 03:00 AM

(13th May, 2018 04:13 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  I'll try to reproduce this issue, have a spare old 20GB external disk for that

Did it today, and unfortunately I was able to reproduce issue. Script definitely can't deal with that strange disk partition (sdX1 extended, sdX5 root partition)

Have to look into it :

Edit: false alarm, see below

RE: Xbian-copier not working.... - Skywatch - 14th May, 2018 03:46 AM

How did you get to that 'strange partition' situation. Did it just happen?

Maybe my thoughts on it are wrong if that was the case.

RE: Xbian-copier not working.... - Nachteule - 14th May, 2018 05:28 AM

(14th May, 2018 03:46 AM)Skywatch Wrote:  How did you get to that 'strange partition' situation. Did it just happen?

No, of course not. I partitioned disk manually Tongue

But it was false alarm. Everything works as expected: partition resize, filesystem resize and swap generation - all ok

Seems I had a buggy version of xbian-package-config-shell installed (probably due to that f.... Pi3B+ network issue Angry) . Reinstalled latest version and xbian-copier worked as it should Smile

RE: Xbian-copier not working.... - Skywatch - 14th May, 2018 05:37 AM

Well I believe that the issue here was that I reset the usb drive before using on pi again. Sounds like the right thing to do.

Firstly, I used EaseUS Partition Manager to delete the partitions, then create a new logical partition (fat32) and format.

That process gave the problem I experienced on both pi2's.

Yesterday, I did it differently. I still used EaseUS PM to delete the partitions, then created a new primary partition (shouldn't make a difference as pi is still booting from sd card, no?) - But then I wiped all data on the drive. After that, for good measure, I used win10 to do a full format on the usb drive. After that it worked as expected...

So maybe the problem was with the process I used to try and get the card as 'sterile' as I could to avoid any issues.

Anyway, 3 xbain pi are now all running nicely again and instead I have big headache with mysensors/mycontroller build instead! - Will it ever end?

RE: Xbian-copier not working.... - Nachteule - 14th May, 2018 05:42 AM

(14th May, 2018 05:37 AM)Skywatch Wrote:  Anyway, 3 xbain pi are now all running nicely again and instead I have big headache with mysensors/mycontroller build instead! - Will it ever end?

No, it never ends! That's like a devilish curse

RE: Xbian-copier not working.... - Skywatch - 2nd Dec, 2018 04:23 AM

Today I found out that I now have an attention span of less than 6 months!

I ran into this problem again today and spent hours trying to figure it out until I finally remembered having the issue before and after searching and finding this thread again!

Advancing years are not kind it seems.

RE: Xbian-copier not working.... - Nachteule - 2nd Dec, 2018 04:40 AM

(2nd Dec, 2018 04:23 AM)Skywatch Wrote:  Today I found out that I now have an attention span of less than 6 months!

I ran into this problem again today and spent hours trying to figure it out until I finally remembered having the issue before and after searching and finding this thread again!

Advancing years are not kind it seems.

Noooo, tooo much beer Big Grin

RE: Xbian-copier not working.... - Skywatch - 2nd Dec, 2018 04:53 AM

(2nd Dec, 2018 04:40 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  Noooo, tooo much beer Big Grin

I wish! Angel