Forum
[PROBLEM] after failed try to update "xbian-update" it's booting into recovery boot console - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Kodi (/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: [PROBLEM] after failed try to update "xbian-update" it's booting into recovery boot console (/thread-3959.html)

after failed try to update "xbian-update" it's booting into recovery boot console - ThePumisher - 4th Feb, 2018 10:44 AM

So i opened programs => xbian-config => update and it says there is a new update for "xbian-update". i started to update it but i got a message that something went wrong during the process. after that i couldn't access xbian-config anymore - it startet to open it but after after a few seconds it prompted me back. i thought 'ok, maybe i should just reboot the rasperry and try it again'. so i rebooted the pi but from now on it will only boot into the recovery boot console.

here's a screenshot of it: https://abload.de/img/win_20180204_01_40_15fusb6.jpg

you can't see it on the screenshot but it says shortly above the upper line "can't find ext4 filesystem".

thing is, i'm a real dummy when using the console so i just don't know what to do Dodgy

cheers

using kodi 17.6 on a rp3

RE: after failed try to update "xbian-update" it's booting into recovery boot console - Nachteule - 5th Feb, 2018 12:50 AM

I suppose your /boot/cmdline.txt is damaged

Could you please check this file.
When in recovery console, run

Code:
cat /boot/cmdline.txt

(probably you don't get any output)

and run

Code:
ls -la /boot/cmdline*

to check if there is any other cmdline.txt you can use.

Probably there is a cmdline.default, you can copy this by running

Code:
cp /boot/cmdline.default /boot/cmdline.txt

RE: after failed try to update "xbian-update" it's booting into recovery boot console - Nachteule - 5th Feb, 2018 01:25 AM

Btw, I'm wondering where this version of xbian-update (20180124-0) came from Huh

I searched in our repo's, can't find that version. Do you have devel repo enabled?

RE: after failed try to update "xbian-update" it's booting into recovery boot console - ThePumisher - 5th Feb, 2018 02:36 AM

(5th Feb, 2018 12:50 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  
Code:
cat /boot/cmdline.txt
(probably you don't get any output)

Code:
cat: can't open '/boot/cmdline.txt' : no such file or directory

Code:
ls -la /boot/cmdline*
to check if there is any other cmdline.txt you can use.

there's a
Code:
-rwxr-xr-x 1 0 root 295 jan 25 2018 /boot/cmdline.txt.default
-rwxr-xr-x 1 0 root 295 jun 27 2017 /boot/cmdline.new
-rwxr-xr-x 1 0 root 295 jan 25 2018 /boot/cmdline.txt.old
trying the .default

Code:
cp /boot/cmdline.txt.default /boot/cmdline.txt

Code:
cp: can't stat '/boot/cmdline.txt' : no such file or directory

(5th Feb, 2018 01:25 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  Do you have devel repo enabled?

not knowingly

RE: after failed try to update "xbian-update" it's booting into recovery boot console - Nachteule - 5th Feb, 2018 03:48 AM

Hmmm, there is something wrong with your boot partition Confused

Ah, probably it's was my fault Blush, there is no file /boot/cmdline.txt.default, the correct file name is /boot/cmdline.default

... and it seems you posted faulty command response, that was confusing me completely

So, please try again copying file

Code:

RE: after failed try to update "xbian-update" it's booting into recovery boot console - ThePumisher - 5th Feb, 2018 04:16 AM

(5th Feb, 2018 03:48 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  
Code:

Woohoo, that works - thanks. I owe you a beer.

(5th Feb, 2018 03:48 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  there is no file /boot/cmdline.txt.default

After
Code:
ls -la /boot/cmdline*
it says there's one - or do just get this wrong?

RE: after failed try to update "xbian-update" it's booting into recovery boot console - ThePumisher - 8th Feb, 2018 09:03 AM

ok, after another try of updating i got this message:

Code:
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.

but after doing what it says (sudo dpkg --configure -a) everyting is fine now

RE: after failed try to update "xbian-update" it's booting into recovery boot console - Nachteule - 8th Feb, 2018 10:08 AM

So it seems the previous update process was interrupted (that's why /boot/cmdline.txt was missing)

Anyway, good to hear that everything is fine again Smile