Forum
Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Plus - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Community (/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Other news (/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Plus (/thread-3967.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Plus - Exnor - 15th Mar, 2018 12:06 AM

Announced today by the Raspberry Pi Foundation.

New SoC based on the previous but now clocked at 1.4Ghz,
New Wifi chipset,
Gigabit Ethernet (but over USB 2.0 so not really gigabit ?? Any input about this would be appreciated ).

Any idea if the current Pi 3 image will work on this revision?

RE: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Plus - Nachteule - 15th Mar, 2018 12:12 AM

(15th Mar, 2018 12:06 AM)Exnor Wrote:  Announced today by the Raspberry Pi Foundation.

New SoC based on the previous but now clocked at 1.4Ghz,
New Wifi chipset,
Gigabit Ethernet (but over USB 2.0 so not really gigabit ?? Any input about this would be appreciated ).

I don't know, but probably it won't boot. There is a new NOOBS 2.5 for this Board, and a new Raspbian edition is available also.

RE: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Plus - Exnor - 15th Mar, 2018 04:51 AM

(15th Mar, 2018 12:12 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  
(15th Mar, 2018 12:06 AM)Exnor Wrote:  Announced today by the Raspberry Pi Foundation.

I don't know, but probably it won't boot. There is a new NOOBS 2.5 for this Board, and a new Raspbian edition is available also.

But do you guys have plans to support it? I was thinking to get one of these to update my now old Pi 1 B... and ditch at the same time the USB WNIC i have connected to it.

RE: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Plus - Nachteule - 15th Mar, 2018 05:27 AM

(15th Mar, 2018 04:51 AM)Exnor Wrote:  But do you guys have plans to support it? I was thinking to get one of these to update my now old Pi 1 B... and ditch at the same time the USB WNIC i have connected to it.

Sure, already have some points figured out what has to be changed and/or tested

1) B+ has different ethernet controller, the driver is already built in 4.14 kernel as module, but not in kernel. Has to be changed in future
2) XBian is using rpi_revision tool (this one) to check which hardware is running. Maybe this tool has to be updated
3) WLAN - Maybe new firmware file required
4) Bluetooth ?
5) New firmware package required (xbian-package-firmware) ?

RE: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Plus - Exnor - 15th Mar, 2018 09:25 AM

(15th Mar, 2018 05:27 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  
(15th Mar, 2018 04:51 AM)Exnor Wrote:  

Sure, already have some points figured out what has to be changed and/or tested

1) B+ has different ethernet controller, the driver is already built in 4.14 kernel as module, but not in kernel. Has to be changed in future
2) XBian is using rpi_revision tool (this one) to check which hardware is running. Maybe this tool has to be updated
3) WLAN - Maybe new firmware file required
4) Bluetooth ?
5) New firmware package required (xbian-package-firmware) ?

Nice Smile you will post when its ready? Also can i backup Kodi using the tools and apply the backup in the same way or will it be necessary to do a full install from the start?

RE: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Plus - Nachteule - 15th Mar, 2018 11:48 PM

(15th Mar, 2018 09:25 AM)Exnor Wrote:  Nice Smile you will post when its ready? Also can i backup Kodi using the tools and apply the backup in the same way or will it be necessary to do a full install from the start?

Sure, we will post a news Smile, probably this weekend or beginning of next week

If you do not have a lot of custom configurations, it's better (and faster) to safe /home and install a fresh image and restore /home at the end

@Skywatch upgraded a Pi1 to Pi2 some months ago, and I did it a couple of years ago, you can read how to do upgrading here

RE: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Plus - rikardo1979 - 16th Mar, 2018 06:35 PM

Hopefully new RPi going to be here today so I will try. Will put SD card from my actual Pi into it and see what is going to happen Tongue

RE: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Plus - rikardo1979 - 16th Mar, 2018 11:18 PM

Arrived today. Not much time to play with it so I have only tried to boot with existing XBian from my Pi3.
No good, does not boot at all, blank screen with nothing on it

RE: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Plus - Nachteule - 16th Mar, 2018 11:23 PM

(16th Mar, 2018 11:18 PM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  Arrived today. Not much time to play with it so I have only tried to boot with existing XBian from my Pi3.

That's what I expected

RE: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Plus - Exnor - 16th Mar, 2018 11:52 PM

(15th Mar, 2018 11:48 PM)Nachteule Wrote:  Sure, we will post a news Smile, probably this weekend or beginning of next week

If you do not have a lot of custom configurations, it's better (and faster) to safe /home and install a fresh image and restore /home at the end

@Skywatch upgraded a Pi1 to Pi2 some months ago, and I did it a couple of years ago, you can read how to do upgrading here

Hmm ok thank you for the tip Smile
What do you consider "a lot of Custom Configurations" ?

(16th Mar, 2018 11:18 PM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  Arrived today. Not much time to play with it so I have only tried to boot with existing XBian from my Pi3.

Love the new silver look of the SoC.

Can i ask you were did you buy it from?

RE: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Plus - rikardo1979 - 17th Mar, 2018 01:52 AM

(16th Mar, 2018 11:52 PM)Exnor Wrote:  
(15th Mar, 2018 11:48 PM)Nachteule Wrote:  Sure, we will post a news Smile, probably this weekend or beginning of next week

Hmm ok thank you for the tip Smile
What do you consider "a lot of Custom Configurations" ?

Love the new silver look of the SoC.

Can i ask you were did you buy it from?
Its not just the look. The top one left with logo is shield for new wifi. And the one on SoC is also as a heatsink.

As I live in UK I always order from CPC http://cpc.farnell.com/raspberry-pi/2773729/raspberry-pi-3-model-b/dp/SC14882

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

RE: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Plus - Exnor - 17th Mar, 2018 06:33 AM

(17th Mar, 2018 01:52 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  Its not just the look. The top one left with logo is shield for new wifi. And the one on SoC is also as a heatsink.

As I live in UK I always order from CPC http://cpc.farnell.com/raspberry-pi/2773729/raspberry-pi-3-model-b/dp/SC14882

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Oh nice it's a heatsink so theoretically i don't need to put another one... I have one on the P1 1 B but i think i overdid it...
Thank you for the site, sadly it appear they do not sell outside the UK Sad

RE: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Plus - Nachteule - 17th Mar, 2018 08:15 AM

@Exnor, I suppose you're living in Portugal:

https://mauser.pt/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=81510&src=raspberrypi
https://pt.rs-online.com/web/p/processor-microcontroller-development-kits/1373331?src=raspberrypi

RE: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Plus - rikardo1979 - 17th Mar, 2018 11:13 AM

Just wondering, what system should work on this new RPi?
I have tried the latest NOOBS and Raspbian stretch but all I see is flashing red LED... And my PSU is a very good power block with 5V/4A!

RE: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Plus - Nachteule - 17th Mar, 2018 11:19 AM

(17th Mar, 2018 11:13 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  Just wondering, what system should work on this new RPi?
I have tried the latest NOOBS and Raspbian stretch but all I see is flashing red LED... And my PSU is a very good power block with 5V/4A!

Hmmm, sounds strange. I was reading that NOOBS 2.5 is required for Pi3B+, but latest Raspbian Stretch (March Release) should work, IMO Dodgy

Will see how my Pi3B+ will work, DHL has announced that they will deliver the parcel today Smile