Forum
[SOLVED] 3D MKV MVC works or not? - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Others (/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: [SOLVED] 3D MKV MVC works or not? (/thread-3972.html)

3D MKV MVC works or not? - Skywatch - 12th Apr, 2018 12:55 AM

I tried with makemkv to back up a bluray 3d. I selected the mvc content and it all went smoothly. But trying to play this back via kodi/xbian on an Optoma projector (my only active 3d display), it doesn't look right. I get the left half of the image in the left eye and the right half of the image in the right eye, so both appear superimposed on top of each other.

I have tried various settings on the projector as well as inverting sync, but no joy.

So can anyone say what the issue might be or if they have done this with success?

RE: 3D MKV MVC works or not? - deHakkelaar - 12th Apr, 2018 06:47 AM

Are you sure Kodi is outputting a compatible 3d stream to the beamer ?
Or maybe the source media type not suited ?
Have you tried other 3d content ?
From this VLC wiki, it seems you've got three main ones and they themselves have many sub settings that need to be tweaked:

https://wiki.videolan.org/3D/

Ive always had a hard time with those green/blue/yellow/pink/purple glasses to adjust.
And the splitting headache after from staring through this LSD filter Wink

EDIT: Ohw and does this "superimposed" become worse or better if you get closer to the screen ?
I believe thats a setting too.

RE: 3D MKV MVC works or not? - Skywatch - 12th Apr, 2018 07:22 PM

(12th Apr, 2018 06:47 AM)deHakkelaar Wrote:  Are you sure Kodi is outputting a compatible 3d stream to the beamer ?
It would appear so as the image is being synced with the glasses and split between them. This would only happen if a valid 3D signal and sync were being received by the glasses. 3D videos on youtube work and so that is why this is so puzzling. Due to size I can't currently keep the copies, it is more an exercise to see if it can work for the future when I have more storage.
(12th Apr, 2018 06:47 AM)deHakkelaar Wrote:  Or maybe the source media type not suited ?
This is what I am trying to establish. But I either expected it to work or not. The outcome I get baffles me at the moment. I'll do more research and see what I can learn.
(12th Apr, 2018 06:47 AM)deHakkelaar Wrote:  Have you tried other 3d content ?
Yes, all the same outcome, so I guess the issue is the process I used.

The glasses are active shutter type, synced to the projector. No flickering or headaches Smile

I first checked the kodi forums for any info and then here, next I'll try the mkv forum and see what I get.

Thanks.

RE: 3D MKV MVC works or not? - Skywatch - 12th Apr, 2018 08:26 PM

It turns out that a few tweeks are needed to make kodi play these files - it works perfectly now.

Here is what you need to do.....

1. Change filename from <filename>.mkv to <filename>.3D.sbs.mkv (Even though it isn't sbs this is needed to get kodi to correctly process it)

2. Use MKVtoolnix. Select 'Header Editor'. Open the file you wish to play. Expand the menu for Video Track 1. Last entry is 'Video Stereo mode'. Select 'remove element' (check box on the right). Select 'Header Editor' (at top menu bar) and select 'Save'.

3. Enjoy your film/movie. Smile

RE: 3D MKV MVC works or not? - Nachteule - 12th Apr, 2018 10:29 PM

(12th Apr, 2018 08:26 PM)Skywatch Wrote:  It turns out that a few tweeks are needed to make kodi play these files - it works perfectly now.

Here is what you need to do.....

1. Change filename from <filename>.mkv to <filename>.3D.sbs.mkv (Even though it isn't sbs this is needed to get kodi to correctly process it)

Not necessary, I have a lot of 3D movies and I do not need this

Quote:2. Use MKVtoolnix. Select 'Header Editor'. Open the file you wish to play. Expand the menu for Video Track 1. Last entry is 'Video Stereo mode'. Select 'remove element' (check box on the right). Select 'Header Editor' (at top menu bar) and select 'Save'.

Yep, this is important to select video type as stereo sbs/hou (I prefer latter one) so Kodi can identify this movie as 3D

RE: 3D MKV MVC works or not? - Skywatch - 13th Apr, 2018 12:29 AM

(12th Apr, 2018 10:29 PM)Nachteule Wrote:  Not necessary, I have a lot of 3D movies and I do not need this
Maybe for you and your set up - But I tried things individually and it is absolutely necessary with my pi2/projector setup. Without it I get the original problem back.

(12th Apr, 2018 10:29 PM)Nachteule Wrote:  Yep, this is important to select video type as stereo sbs/hou (I prefer latter one) so Kodi can identify this movie as 3D
What I did was to 'remove' the stereo video flag. Again this was absolutely needed for it all to work.

I guess that different hardware has different requirements, so at least people have options of what to try now

At least I got it working for me now Smile Cool

RE: 3D MKV MVC works or not? - Nachteule - 13th Apr, 2018 12:39 AM

Hmmm, that's weird. But anyway, you get it work and this is the most important thing

I do not have special setup, just having 3D capable TV (no projector), and Kodi is enabling 3D mode automatically only if I set stereo mode in mkv and video is flagged as 3D movie (maybe its needed because of not having 3d in file name)

But seriously, I haven't watched 3D move for a long time, the 3D hype is out for a loooong time Tongue

RE: 3D MKV MVC works or not? - Skywatch - 13th Apr, 2018 01:31 AM

(13th Apr, 2018 12:39 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  But seriously, I haven't watched 3D move for a long time, the 3D hype is out for a loooong time Tongue

Yes - a pity really. I liked 3D but now that Hollywood and the equipment manufacturers have decided not to continue with it, I shall sadly miss it.
Maybe in the future it will return with holographic home projection system? Mmmmmm........ Wink

As for configuration, I have Pi sending video to projector via HDMI and sound goes via I2S to DAC that streams via fibre optic cable to dolby decoder. Then to amp.
I don't know why I need the different settings to you, but the setups are not the same so maybe that is all it is. I do know that not all projectors will play files with 3D 'frame packing', so I am lucky that mine will.

RE: 3D MKV MVC works or not? - Nachteule - 13th Apr, 2018 02:28 AM

(13th Apr, 2018 01:31 AM)Skywatch Wrote:  Maybe in the future it will return with holographic home projection system? Mmmmmm........ Wink

Yes, if you can watch 3d movies without that damn 3d glasses, maybe 3d hype comes back Dodgy, so tv manufacturers will make more money again Tongue

RE: 3D MKV MVC works or not? - deHakkelaar - 13th Apr, 2018 07:28 AM

(13th Apr, 2018 02:28 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  maybe 3d hype comes back
Joking ?
Half the world wears those VR goggles that do 3d.
Instead of flimsy cardboard paper glasses, now they wear almost a full helmet Big Grin

Am thirsty for a Brawndo ... its got electrolytes

RE: 3D MKV MVC works or not? - Annata20 - 25th Oct, 2023 07:02 PM

(13th Apr, 2018 07:28 AM)deHakkelaar Wrote:  
(13th Apr, 2018 02:28 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  maybe 3d hype comes back
Joking ?
Half the world wears those VR goggles that do 3d.
Instead of flimsy cardboard paper glasses, connections now they wear almost a full helmet Big Grin

Am thirsty for a Brawndo ... its got electrolytes

It's so much better than wearing 3D paper glasses