Forum
[SOLVED] Strange Video Playback Problem - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Installation (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: [SOLVED] Strange Video Playback Problem (/thread-3975.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Strange Video Playback Problem - Nachteule - 23rd Apr, 2018 06:44 AM

(23rd Apr, 2018 06:35 AM)Skywatch Wrote:  I have thought of something I will try tomorrow, OFC I will let you know the result.
Tongue

Well, hopefully you succeed, crossing fingers Smile

RE: Strange Video Playback Problem - Skywatch - 27th Apr, 2018 09:42 PM

Well, All devices worked except for rpi. Android, Windows, Bluray player all worked fine, so not server or cable fault.

I decided to up the kernel from 4.9.91 to 4.9.96 to see if it would help... It didn't. Sad

Then I decided to enable staging and try with latest updates.

Now it works fine Smile Smile Smile

So it was a pi specific problem, maybe related to the kernel and smb/cifs side of things (that's my conclusion anyway).

RE: Strange Video Playback Problem - Nachteule - 28th Apr, 2018 07:23 AM

(27th Apr, 2018 09:42 PM)Skywatch Wrote:  Well, All devices worked except for rpi. Android, Windows, Bluray player all worked fine, so not server or cable fault.

I decided to up the kernel from 4.9.91 to 4.9.96 to see if it would help... It didn't. Sad

Then I decided to enable staging and try with latest updates.

Now it works fine Smile Smile Smile

So it was a pi specific problem, maybe related to the kernel and smb/cifs side of things (that's my conclusion anyway).

Hey, that are good news. So no move into a cave needed Big Grin

But what about your music data base issue you posted here ?

That' why I never ask you again about used kernel

So we have great situation: you can't use 4.9 kernel, an other user can't use 4.14 kernel due to stucking sound Dodgy

RE: Strange Video Playback Problem - Skywatch - 28th Apr, 2018 08:15 AM

(28th Apr, 2018 07:23 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  Hey, that are good news. So no move into a cave needed Big Grin

Sadly not - have to buy beer from Deutschland instead Smile Wink

(28th Apr, 2018 07:23 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  But what about your music data base issue you posted here ?

After getting the video back to normal again I then proceeded to install mysql and get it all set up again (takes hours = boring = lots of beer) Smile ..... But all seems working again now! Big Grin

(28th Apr, 2018 07:23 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  So we have great situation: you can't use 4.9 kernel, an other user can't use 4.14 kernel due to stucking sound Dodgy

Not sure I would call that a 'great ' situation, but I know you were only joking. Tongue ... Honestly I do not make this stuff up - it's all real and seems to seek me out, always (humph). I get perfect sound via stereo dac and AC-3 with 4.9.xx and 4.14.xx.

I still can't be totally sure what the problem was - but it sure was weird and yet totally repeatable.

Anyway - It's a holiday weekend and I can (hopefully) relax about this now and enjoy the videos and music again! Big Grin

As always I appreciate your help and support!

RE: Strange Video Playback Problem - Exnor - 23rd Aug, 2018 03:41 AM

Wow now that's a real WTF bug you got there.... Did you try swapping HDMI ports and disable CEC?

RE: Strange Video Playback Problem - Skywatch - 23rd Aug, 2018 05:07 AM

(23rd Aug, 2018 03:41 AM)Exnor Wrote:  Wow now that's a real WTF bug you got there.... Did you try swapping HDMI ports and disable CEC?

Hi @Exnor, Thanks for the reply - it got sorted a while back and I thought I had posted about it. Sorry. But it seems that an update took care of it.........But.......

Last week my AC3 suddenly stopped and I have been too busy to look into it - hoping for an update that will fix it first.....

But you are right - it was totally bemusing! Huh

RE: Strange Video Playback Problem - Nachteule - 23rd Aug, 2018 05:16 AM

Seems your hardware becomes more an more unreliable Confused

RE: Strange Video Playback Problem - Exnor - 23rd Aug, 2018 06:49 AM

(23rd Aug, 2018 05:07 AM)Skywatch Wrote:  
(23rd Aug, 2018 03:41 AM)Exnor Wrote:  Wow now that's a real WTF bug you got there.... Did you try swapping HDMI ports and disable CEC?

Hi @Exnor, Thanks for the reply - it got sorted a while back and I thought I had posted about it. Sorry. But it seems that an update took care of it.........But.......

Last week my AC3 suddenly stopped and I have been too busy to look into it - hoping for an update that will fix it first.....

But you are right - it was totally bemusing! Huh

Maybe a bad HDMI port? Did you try to hook up any other device in that port? Kinda seem its localized there... For what i've read here of course.

RE: Strange Video Playback Problem - Skywatch - 23rd Aug, 2018 08:14 PM

(23rd Aug, 2018 06:49 AM)Exnor Wrote:  Maybe a bad HDMI port? Did you try to hook up any other device in that port? Kinda seem its localized there... For what i've read here of course.
@Exnor
I don't use hdmi for sound, only video - sound was sent from pifi digi board via optical cable to decoder.

@Nachteule
I removed the microSD card from the affected pi and now it is 'write protected' and I can't do a thing with it! Angry

RE: Strange Video Playback Problem - Nachteule - 23rd Aug, 2018 08:27 PM

(23rd Aug, 2018 08:14 PM)Skywatch Wrote:  I removed the microSD card from the affected pi and now it is 'write protected' and I can't do a thing with it! Angry

Can you please give more details about 'write protected'?

Is the file system mounted r/o or can't you write to the sd-card?

In the first case a file system repair could solve the issue, in the latter case you'll need a new sc-card. It happened multiple times that my Samsung sd-cards can't be written Angry

RE: Strange Video Playback Problem - Skywatch - 23rd Aug, 2018 09:36 PM

@Nachteulee

Thanks for the reply, you are up early today! (Or have you been up all night? - Hmmm.....). Wink

I found that the SD->microSD adapter was causing the read only issue, must have gone bad inside as the side switch was definately in the correct position.

When the problem occured I ordered another pifi-digi as I believed that to be the problem - it arrived today and no change with the new digi card.....So I have re-flashed the micro SDcard now with an image from 7/8/18 and the sound is back Smile

I'll try updating/upgrading later and see if it breaks again.

But rear right speaker is not working, so have to investigate that first Angry

Cheers!

-------------------------------------------------------- UPDATE ----------------------------------------------------

Update and upgrade went well and all still working... This pi was only booting from sd card and running from usb storage. I am running H2Wtest on it now and will reinstall if it passes OK.

RE: Strange Video Playback Problem - Exnor - 24th Aug, 2018 12:40 AM

(23rd Aug, 2018 08:14 PM)Skywatch Wrote:  
(23rd Aug, 2018 06:49 AM)Exnor Wrote:  Maybe a bad HDMI port? Did you try to hook up any other device in that port? Kinda seem its localized there... For what i've read here of course.
@Exnor
I don't use hdmi for sound, only video - sound was sent from pifi digi board via optical cable to decoder.

@Nachteule
I removed the microSD card from the affected pi and now it is 'write protected' and I can't do a thing with it! Angry

But wasn't your problem an image one back in the beginning? I'm quite confused with your setup...

RE: Strange Video Playback Problem - Skywatch - 24th Aug, 2018 03:34 AM

(24th Aug, 2018 12:40 AM)Exnor Wrote:  But wasn't your problem an image one back in the beginning? I'm quite confused with your setup...

Thanks for the reply. The issue with the video was solved in April, see post #32 of this thread. Wink

As for the set up, it's really quite simple.

Video goes from hdmi out on the pi to hdmi in on the projector. (video only).
Audio goes from the pi gpio to the pifi-digi, optical cable to dolby receiver and then to the amp.
It's a setup that has been working great for years, until now.

Today I discovered the amp right rear channel has failed inside the amp. Sad

Maybe I can fix it, maybe it's time for an upgrade - afterall it's been going for over 20 years now!

But it is a big job to get it out and work on it, will have to wait until I have a free weekend..... So not too soon I suspect.

Cheers.

@Nachteule,

Well, I took the usb drive that had been running this pi and tested it - I got around 35MB/s read speed, but write speed was <1MB/s - So something really wrong with that stick. This was after a fresh re-partition and format too..... You just never know I suppose.

Strange Video Playback Problem - f1vefour - 24th Aug, 2018 04:59 AM

@Skywatch

You seem to be an issue magnet Smile

I am the same way, I am also a software bug magnet.

RE: Strange Video Playback Problem - Exnor - 24th Aug, 2018 05:24 AM

(24th Aug, 2018 03:34 AM)Skywatch Wrote:  
(24th Aug, 2018 12:40 AM)Exnor Wrote:  But wasn't your problem an image one back in the beginning? I'm quite confused with your setup...

Thanks for the reply. The issue with the video was solved in April, see post #32 of this thread. Wink

As for the set up, it's really quite simple.

Video goes from hdmi out on the pi to hdmi in on the projector. (video only).
Audio goes from the pi gpio to the pifi-digi, optical cable to dolby receiver and then to the amp.
It's a setup that has been working great for years, until now.

Today I discovered the amp right rear channel has failed inside the amp. Sad

Maybe I can fix it, maybe it's time for an upgrade - afterall it's been going for over 20 years now!

But it is a big job to get it out and work on it, will have to wait until I have a free weekend..... So not too soon I suspect.

Cheers.

@Nachteule,

Well, I took the usb drive that had been running this pi and tested it - I got around 35MB/s read speed, but write speed was <1MB/s - So something really wrong with that stick. This was after a fresh re-partition and format too..... You just never know I suppose.

Ah now it's much clear how you have your setup lol.

I only asked if the HDMI port might be faulty because i remember you referring some chroma problems but i don't recall reading if you tried another port or tried to connect the Pi to another Screen/projector.

So its was a soft problem after all? (for the image).