Forum
Menus not being shown after switching off TV during playback - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Kodi (/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Menus not being shown after switching off TV during playback (/thread-3980.html)

Menus not being shown after switching off TV during playback - Don Pedro - 7th Jun, 2018 09:06 AM

Hello! I have the following problem:

Software
XBian version: 20180509-0
XBMC/Kodi version: 17.6
Overclock settings: None

Hardware
Device type and model (e.g. Raspberry Pi Model A/B 256/512 MB, CuBox-i i4Pro, ...): Raspberry Pi 3
Power supply rating: N.A.
SD card size and make/type: 16GB
Network (Ethernet or wireless): Ethernet
Connected devices (TV, USB, network storage, ...): LG TV with active and working CEC

Log files
Link to logfile(s): -

Problem description:
If I switch off the TV during a playback the menus of Kodi will no longer be shown. Kodi is still active in the background, the TV is playing sounds on key presses and I can change the live TV channels, pause playback with space, etc.

How to reproduce:
- Play some live TV
- Switch the TV off without stopping the playback
- Switch the TV back on, the video is still playing
- Press x (or back or ESC) to show the home screen, the menu does not come up any more!

Some remarks:
- When pressing back or ESC it appears Kodi is not responding at all. Nevertheless it does react, it just doesn't show the menu. When you use x instead the playback will be stopped as expected and you end up with a completely blank screen. The TV's info button shows you that this is not "no picture" but a blank, all black picture (in e.g. 1080p @ 60Hz or something else).
- This effect does not(!) depend on what reaction I choose for the CEC adapter when switching the TV off. I can even set it to "ignore" but the effect stays.
- Also C (or other keys) don't show a context menu or something any more.
- The Raspi is still reachable via SSH and when triggerĂ­ng a reboot there normal operation recovers after the restart.
- Kodi does not recover if I trigger a HDMI hotplug event (by unplugging and repluggin the HDMI cable).
- The problem does not show up if I stop the playback with x prior to switching off the TV.
- The effect is securely reproducable on my installation.

Anyone has that also and can reproduce? Is that a bug in Kodi? Any workarounds available? I guess disabling CEC might supress the problem, however This is not really a "nice" workaround...

THX

Don

RE: Menus not being shown after switching off TV during playback - Nachteule - 22nd Jun, 2018 10:51 AM

Never seen this, but usually I don't switch TV off while playing something Dodgy

Will have to test it

RE: Menus not being shown after switching off TV during playback - Don Pedro - 22nd Jun, 2018 05:19 PM

(22nd Jun, 2018 10:51 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  Never seen this, but usually I don't switch TV off while playing something Dodgy

I also don't do so, but my wife does! Rolleyes
I'm then confronted with some "this bloody beast stopped working again" sentence... Undecided

RE: Menus not being shown after switching off TV during playback - Nachteule - 23rd Jun, 2018 12:11 AM

(22nd Jun, 2018 05:19 PM)Don Pedro Wrote:  
(22nd Jun, 2018 10:51 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  Never seen this, but usually I don't switch TV off while playing something Dodgy

I also don't do so, but my wife does! Rolleyes
I'm then confronted with some "this bloody beast stopped working again" sentence... Undecided

LOL Big Grin

I have good and bad news, starting with the bad news:

Same strange issue happens here, but unfortunately I don't have the motivation to start a deeper investigation Sad

because the good news is:

Testing with Kodi Leia (18 alpha 3), the issue is not present Smile

RE: Menus not being shown after switching off TV during playback - Don Pedro - 23rd Jun, 2018 02:59 AM

(23rd Jun, 2018 12:11 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  LOL Big Grin

I have good and bad news, starting with the bad news:

Same strange issue happens here, but unfortunately I don't have the motivation to start a deeper investigation Sad

because the good news is:

Testing with Kodi Leia (18 alpha 3), the issue is not present Smile

OK, good that it's at least reproducible! However I'm not gonna install an alpha, this problem doesn't hurt so much (as there is a WAR) and I'd like to have a stable installation. Instead I'm gonna wait for Kodi 18 to be released. But shall I open a bug at Kodi?

THX for your effort!

Don

RE: Menus not being shown after switching off TV during playback - Nachteule - 23rd Jun, 2018 03:17 AM

(23rd Jun, 2018 02:59 AM)Don Pedro Wrote:  OK, good that it's at least reproducible! However I'm not gonna install an alpha, this problem doesn't hurt so much (as there

It's your decision. I'm using this version if I want to play a fullhd hevc video Smile

Quote:is a WAR) and I'd like to have a stable installation. Instead I'm gonna wait for Kodi 18 to be released. But shall I open a bug at Kodi?

No, does not make sense, because
A) maybe issue is caused by XBian patches and/or
B) Kodi 17 is out of maintenance by the Kodi team

Quote:THX for your effort!

Don

You're welcome

RE: Menus not being shown after switching off TV during playback - Don Pedro - 29th Jun, 2018 08:54 AM

(23rd Jun, 2018 03:17 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  No, does not make sense, because

??? Kodi 17 is alledgedly out of maintenance but 17.6 is what you currently get offered (https://kodi.tv/download/853) and Kodi 18 is still in an early alpha state - that sounds somewhat strange to me! What then is the currently maintained version if neither 17 nor 18? Huh

RE: Menus not being shown after switching off TV during playback - Nachteule - 29th Jun, 2018 09:48 AM

(29th Jun, 2018 08:54 AM)Don Pedro Wrote:  

??? Kodi 17 is alledgedly out of maintenance but 17.6 is what you currently get offered (https://kodi.tv/download/853) and Kodi 18 is still in an early alpha state - that sounds somewhat strange to me! What then is the currently maintained version if neither 17 nor 18? Huh

Yes, it's strange. But it's the philosophy of Kodi team, see here "Kodi 17.6 is the very last"

RE: Menus not being shown after switching off TV during playback - Benford - 31st Jan, 2019 12:35 AM

(29th Jun, 2018 08:54 AM)Don Pedro Wrote:  
A) maybe try probiotics for men and issue is caused by XBian patches and/or

Had this problem too after switching off TV by accident. Well, I didn't do it, somebody else did. Had to unplug everything to get it to work again.

RE: Menus not being shown after switching off TV during playback - Don Pedro - 31st Jan, 2019 05:40 AM

(31st Jan, 2019 12:35 AM)Benford Wrote:  Had this problem too after switching off TV by accident. Well, I didn't do it, somebody else did. Had to unplug everything to get it to work again.

As Nachteule tested it with a Kodi 18 beta and the issue is not present there - and as yesterday Kodi 18 was released (Kodi 18) this problem should soon no longer be an issue.
Big Grin

RE: Menus not being shown after switching off TV during playback - BreadPit - 4th Feb, 2019 02:16 AM

(31st Jan, 2019 05:40 AM)Don Pedro Wrote:  
(31st Jan, 2019 12:35 AM)Benford Wrote:  Had this problem too after switching off TV by accident. Well, I didn't do it, somebody else did. Had to unplug everything to get it to work again.

As Nachteule tested it with a Kodi 18 beta and the issue is not present there - and as yesterday Kodi 18 was released (Kodi 18) this problem should soon no longer be an issue.
Big Grin
Good to hear it is not only me having this issue - same here with the latest XBian Release. A bit annoying, but if this can be solved soon, the question is:
  • How soon?
  • Can I choose the latest DEV build, and then upgrade a DEV build to a stable v18 release later?

RE: Menus not being shown after switching off TV during playback - Nachteule - 4th Feb, 2019 02:27 AM

(4th Feb, 2019 02:16 AM)BreadPit Wrote:  
(31st Jan, 2019 05:40 AM)Don Pedro Wrote:  

Big Grin
Good to hear it is not only me having this issue - same here with the latest XBian Release. A bit annoying, but if this can be solved soon, the question is:
  • How soon?

Soon, if you don't want to wait, enable staging repo and update your system. Unfortunately there is still a strange issue pending

Quote:
  • Can I choose the latest DEV build, and then upgrade a DEV build to a stable v18 release later?

• Sure, that works. But please keep in mind, that the dev image has staging and devel repo enabled per default

RE: Menus not being shown after switching off TV during playback - BreadPit - 7th Feb, 2019 08:03 PM

Thanks, upgraded with latest staging build, now everythings works fine as expected! Feedback on new issues with v18 I posted in the v18 testbuilds thread