Forum
Missing firmware after fresh installation - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Hardware (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Network (/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: Missing firmware after fresh installation (/thread-4022.html)

Missing firmware after fresh installation - daharn - 27th Mar, 2019 05:36 PM

Because updating to Kodi v18 somehow corrupted my installation, I just reinstalled everything to my SD card from the latest xbian image.

While this worked fine, I found that my WiFi dongle (based on Broadcom BCM43143 chipset) wasn't recognized initially. dmesg complained about being unable to find the corresponding firmware. I could solve this by
Code:
apt-get install firmware-brcm80211
Is there a reason this is not included by default? Since this is done using apt-get and not using the update interface of xbian-config, the solution is not overly obvious, especially for beginners. Also you first have to connect via Ethernet cable to be able to install the update.

RE: Missing firmware after fresh installation - Nachteule - 2nd Apr, 2019 07:22 AM

I do not know if there is/was any reason for omitting this package. I looked into the history of the image config files and build logs, and I could not find that package. Seems, that this package was never included.

Strange thing is, that I have it installed on all my Pi's (1,2,3,3B+) but never needed. But, it is not installed on my Cubox-I/Hummingboard device Huh

Anyway, it seems there are no dependency issues, so I'll include this package for future image builds

RE: Missing firmware after fresh installation - daharn - 3rd Apr, 2019 04:22 PM

Thanks for looking into this. It is indeed weird, because I remember that I had to install this package manually before on a fresh image, but not in all cases.

RE: Missing firmware after fresh installation - tookdrums - 23rd May, 2019 11:43 PM

I can confirm I had the same problem. Suddenly my dongle wasn't recognized anymore.
But rebuilding the driver manually made it work...
I used
https://www.max2play.com/en/forums/topic/howto-raspberry-pi-3-realtek-802-11ac-rtl8812au/

Nachteule Do you have a Bitcoin donation address? I don't have paypal and I have been using and loving xbian for years.
Another Idea would be to have your website xbian.org Brave publisher verified so people can easily tip you BAT.

RE: Missing firmware after fresh installation - Nachteule - 24th May, 2019 08:04 PM

(23rd May, 2019 11:43 PM)tookdrums Wrote:  I can confirm I had the same problem. Suddenly my dongle wasn't recognized anymore.

This depends on a completely different reason

Quote:But rebuilding the driver manually made it work...
I used
https://www.max2play.com/en/forums/topic/howto-raspberry-pi-3-realtek-802-11ac-rtl8812au/

This source seems not to be maintained very well. I changed source at Jan 21, unfortunately the module name has been renamed again and this was not recognized until yesterday. I've fixed it today, new kernel packages are being built right now. The new module name is 88XXau.ko.

Quote:Nachteule Do you have a Bitcoin donation address? I don't have paypal and I have been using and loving xbian for years.
Another Idea would be to have your website xbian.org Brave publisher verified so people can easily tip you BAT.

Sorry, we have PayPal only Sad

RE: Missing firmware after fresh installation - HilariaLear - 1st Apr, 2024 01:14 PM

(3rd Apr, 2019 04:22 PM)daharn Wrote:  Thanks for looking into this. It is indeed weird, because I remember that I had to install this package manually before on a fresh image, but not in all cases.
What situations wouldn't be like this?