Forum
4.19.42+ kernel broke the file system, LZ4 issue, how to revert to prev kernel? - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Testing & Experimental (/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: 4.19.42+ kernel broke the file system, LZ4 issue, how to revert to prev kernel? (/thread-4029.html)

Pages: 1 2

RE: 4.19.42+ kernel broke the file system, LZ4 issue, how to revert to prev kernel? - edralzar - 18th Dec, 2019 04:01 AM

hi, I came across this post while searching for origin/solution for a FATAL message around LZ4 during deb package update via xbian-config. The process ends with a message complaining LZ4 compression is active while kernel 4.19.75+ doesn't support it.

I am currently on a 4.9.x kernel, is the correct solution to hold the linux-image-bcm2836 package for now? if not, how can I upgrade the kernel via xbian-config without putting the system at risk? for instance it seems `xbian-compress` is not always a good idea, so what would I need to check before I run such commands?

thanks in advance, and sorry for hijacking this post

RE: 4.19.42+ kernel broke the file system, LZ4 issue, how to revert to prev kernel? - Nachteule - 18th Dec, 2019 04:11 AM

(18th Dec, 2019 04:01 AM)edralzar Wrote:  hi, I came across this post while searching for origin/solution for a FATAL message around LZ4 during deb package update via xbian-config. The process ends with a message complaining LZ4 compression is active while kernel 4.19.75+ doesn't support it.

I am currently on a 4.9.x kernel, is the correct solution to hold the linux-image-bcm2836 package for now? if not, how can I upgrade the kernel via xbian-config without putting the system at risk? for instance it seems `xbian-compress` is not always a good idea, so what would I need to check before I run such commands?

thanks in advance, and sorry for hijacking this post

You don't have to check anything before. All necessary checks are done by xbian-compress automatically

You generally have 2 opportunities:

1) run xbian-compress
2) make complete image backup (after disabling compression in /boot/cmdline,txt) and flash this image on (new) sd-card

RE: 4.19.42+ kernel broke the file system, LZ4 issue, how to revert to prev kernel? - edralzar - 18th Dec, 2019 07:33 PM

thanks for the confirmation. I was confused by your earlier comment that it would need ample free disk space to correctly run. I ran the command
Code:
xbian-compress compress --compress=lzo
successfully, unlocked the kernel package and just successfully upgraded to 4.19.75+ Smile