Forum
[PROBLEM] Playback problem since update to Leia - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Kodi (/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: [PROBLEM] Playback problem since update to Leia (/thread-4033.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Playback problem since update to Leia - Nachteule - 5th May, 2020 02:14 AM

(5th May, 2020 01:12 AM)gkusiak Wrote:  
(3rd May, 2020 04:23 AM)Don Pedro Wrote:  Will buy a new Pi, likely a 4, in the hope that then Xbian distro is already sufficiently usable for Raspberry 4...
No need to hope: I use the 4GB RasPi 4 and I can confirm xbian works very well.

Yeah, but as reported in other thread, kernel 5.4.32 has issues with playing HEVC vids on Pi4 . So, actually kernel 5.4 AND 5.6 is broken for Pi4 Angry

Playback problem since update to Leia - gkusiak - 5th May, 2020 02:19 AM

So I should install the rollback update (?) for linux-libc-dev v5.4.27-158491464?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Playback problem since update to Leia - Nachteule - 5th May, 2020 02:37 AM

(5th May, 2020 02:19 AM)gkusiak Wrote:  So I should install the rollback update (?) for linux-libc-dev v5.4.27-158491464?

If you don't have HEVC vids there is no need to revert kernel tp 5.4.27. AVC (h.264) is playing fine

RE: Playback problem since update to Leia - Nachteule - 5th May, 2020 04:54 AM

FYI: We are not alone: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=354154

RE: Playback problem since update to Leia - gkusiak - 6th May, 2020 12:35 AM

(5th May, 2020 02:37 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  If you don't have HEVC vids there is no need to revert kernel tp 5.4.27. AVC (h.264) is playing fine
have, or use?

RE: Playback problem since update to Leia - Nachteule - 6th May, 2020 01:02 AM

(6th May, 2020 12:35 AM)gkusiak Wrote:  
(5th May, 2020 02:37 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  If you don't have HEVC vids there is no need to revert kernel tp 5.4.27. AVC (h.264) is playing fine
have, or use?

I meant if you don't want to play HEVC vids you do not have to revert kernel

RE: Playback problem since update to Leia - Don Pedro - 10th May, 2020 08:10 AM

(5th May, 2020 01:12 AM)gkusiak Wrote:  No need to hope: I use the 4GB RasPi 4 and I can confirm xbian works very well.

This is of course good news! I don't mind new codecs a lot, my setup currently mainly serves as a playback for video in HD (or even SD) recorded from a satellite dish. Plus playback of video taken from the mediathek of different corporations. I also don't have a 4k TV attached (yet). So a Raspi 4 seems a bit oversized at first glance, but if you have to buy a new one, you don't buy an old 3 if the 4 is out, it's a lot faster and more ready for the future, do you?

Playback problem since update to Leia - gkusiak - 10th May, 2020 11:34 PM

(10th May, 2020 08:10 AM)Don Pedro Wrote:  a Raspi 4 seems a bit oversized at first glance, but if you have to buy a new one, you don't buy an old 3 if the 4 is out, it's a lot faster and more ready for the future, do you?
Nope, You don’t. Unless it’s disposable. In my case it was hedging: if my non-smart plasma display dies, it would be difficult to replace with a non-smart tv, so I might as well have a useful SBC on hand for something if the 4k smart tv’s media Center is sufficient; if not I can keep the xbian build.

RE: Playback problem since update to Leia - Don Pedro - 17th May, 2020 10:40 AM

(10th May, 2020 11:34 PM)gkusiak Wrote:  Nope, You don’t. Unless it’s disposable. In my case it was hedging: if my non-smart plasma display dies, it would be difficult to replace with a non-smart tv, so I might as well have a useful SBC on hand for something if the 4k smart tv’s media Center is sufficient; if not I can keep the xbian build.

What is currently really driving me nuts is the fact that the raspi 4 is also not delivering a picture on my TV (it's a non 4k TV)! What happened/what I did so far:
- The raspi 3 I used so far suddenly and unexpectedly stopped delivering a picture via HDMI (without changing anything on the raspi and TV).
- It was however able to deliver a picture via HDMI by clamping the video output to HDMI (via hdmi-drive=2 hdmi_group=x and hdmi_mode=y in config.txt, see https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/config-txt/video.md).
- For a short time(!) this worked but got broken soon, too, it was like the raspi 3 didn't have a HDMI output anymore (at least the software didn't see it anymore, "/opt/vc/bin/tvservice -m DMT" and "/opt/vc/bin/tvservice -m CEA" gave an error instead of valid information)

- After the picture broke down completely I tried:
- Changing the HDMI cable, no change in behavior
- Changing the HDMI input of the TV, no change in behavior
- Change the power supply of the raspi, no change in behavior (one of the power supplies was a laboratory power supply with a linear circuit and able to deliver up to 5 Amps, so it is not the power supply)
- Attach a PC-monitor to the raspi, also no picture
-> I was apparent for me that the HDMI output of the raspi 3 has died.

So I bought a raspi 4, together with an official power supply and a new HDMI cable. And it doesn't deliver a picture on any of the two HDMI outputs and this is where I'm really frustrated. Is it that my TV is killing all the HDMI?

What I will do next:
- Attach an old video player to the TV. If this is also not giving a HDMI picture this is a strong hint that either all(!) HDMI inputs of my TV have died (I can't really believe that, the TV has three HDMI inputs), or that the TV is killing the HDMI.
- Attach the old video player to the PC-monitor before and after attaching it to the TV.
- As a test against a software problem install the current rasbian distribution and check if this is yielding a HDMI picture.

Playback problem since update to Leia - gkusiak - 17th May, 2020 01:47 PM

That’s unfortunate.
My initial reaction is that something has gone wrong with the HDMI section of your tv/display:
Since you’ve tried a number of sources (and methods) to achieve picture on your display that have previously output signal to it successfully, I would be looking at the input electronics as the culprit rather than the Pis. And if they’re getting fried by it, something is probably definitely amiss.

RE: Playback problem since update to Leia - Skywatch - 17th May, 2020 05:46 PM

Try a different (preferably new) uSD card with just raspbian on it and see if HDMI works then. Maybe your image is corrupted or the card is going bad in one place......?

RE: Playback problem since update to Leia - Nachteule - 18th May, 2020 01:26 AM

Already set this parameter to 1 in /boot/config.txt?

Code:
# Force HDMI even if unplugged or powered off
hdmi_force_hotplug=0

RE: Playback problem since update to Leia - Don Pedro - 18th May, 2020 08:04 AM

(18th May, 2020 01:26 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  Already set this parameter to 1 in /boot/config.txt?

Code:
# Force HDMI even if unplugged or powered off
hdmi_force_hotplug=0

Yes, that's the first thing I tried, but no change in behavior...

RE: Playback problem since update to Leia - Don Pedro - 23rd May, 2020 04:44 AM

(17th May, 2020 05:46 PM)Skywatch Wrote:  Try a different (preferably new) uSD card with just raspbian on it and see if HDMI works then. Maybe your image is corrupted or the card is going bad in one place......?

I tried that and things got even more weird!
- I tried an independent video player (Fantec R2650). It *did* deliver a FHD picture on my monitor (previous to connecting to my TV), it *did* deliver a picture on my TV (on different HDMI ports of the TV), it *did* deliver a picture on my monitor (after connecting to my TV). So my TV has several HDMI inputs, they're working fine (at least with the fantec) and they don't kill the HDMI outputs.
- I tried Raspbian on the Pi4 and got *no* picture.
- I tried additionally setting these options:
hdmi_safe:0=1
hdmi_group:0=1
hdmi_mode:0=1
hdmi_force_mode:0=1
but *no* picture as well!
- The TV recognizes there is "something" on the HDMI port because it offers Simplink (the LG name for HDMI-CEC) to activate, it does however take remarkably long and does not yield a picture.

Now I'm completely stunned as you may think, the culprit is none of them! What else can I try to get a picture or to find the reason for the problems that I'm facing?

BR

Don

RE: Playback problem since update to Leia - Nachteule - 23rd May, 2020 04:57 AM

No idea. But would be probably better idea to ask on the Raspberry Pi forum, bc even Raspbian does not show picture on screen

And you tried both hdmi ports?

Can you guarantee that your Pi4 is not broken?