Forum
[PROBLEM] Playback problem since update to Leia - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Kodi (/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: [PROBLEM] Playback problem since update to Leia (/thread-4033.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Playback problem since update to Leia - Don Pedro - 24th May, 2020 02:27 AM

(23rd May, 2020 04:57 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  No idea. But would be probably better idea to ask on the Raspberry Pi forum, bc even Raspbian does not show picture on screen

Will do that additionally, sure!

Quote:And you tried both hdmi ports?

Yes! Both are inoperable.

Quote:Can you guarantee that your Pi4 is not broken?

As far as you could with a newly bought one! The strange thing here is that the raspberry 3 used before suddenly stopped outputting something on that TV as well. Plus they don't share a single bit of hardware, the Pi, the SD-card, the HDMI-cable, the power supply - all are different. That's where the TV came in, it's the only thing unchanged. But the raspberry 3 also does not show a picture neither on the TV nor on a monitor, whereas the control-fantec does so on the monitor, as well as different HDMI ports of the TV, so the TV *is* able to use the HDMI-ports. That's why I wrote "nobody's the culprit".
Will do an additional check of the raspberry 3 and 4 against another TV. Will also do a check of the raspberry 4 without its casing. It's currently housed inside an argon case, which has two possible causes, a) it extends the HDMI ports, b) the case I got does not contain the extension bolts for the extender PCB. This normally not an issue, but I realized that one of the bolts has electrical contact between the upper and lower PCB. At first glance you'd say both have nothing to do with it, as a) is done on a regular base and b) can't influence the HDMI-port as without the extension PCB there also is no connection. But as other possibilities run out you start grasping for the remaining stuff.
The problem here is that if both are broken (the pi 3 and the pi 4) and all three outputs are broken (the one HDMI port on the pi 3 and the two on the pi 4) there is reason to assume the TV did kill them (instead of assuming it happened by incidence). So every newly attached pi will get broken, too! This is despite the fact that the HDMI-port of the fantec did work correctly and did not get broken by attaching it to the TV (maybe it's more robust/electronically different). It's all a mess and I do not know how to proceed, namely in order not to produce any more expensive, electronic junk...

RE: Playback problem since update to Leia - Nachteule - 24th May, 2020 04:22 AM

By now it sounds to me like your TV kills the Raspberry Pi's.

Maybe your fantec hdmi output is just more robust than the raspberry hdmi outputs. I guess you always used the tv first and then the monitor, right?

And yes, it's a good idea to test the Pi's without any additional hardware.

Playback problem since update to Leia - f1vefour - 24th May, 2020 09:19 AM

Some TV's are really bad about backfeeding through HDMI and this could definitely kill a device, I had a cheap TV that pushed so much power into HDMI it lit the power LED on the connected device with no power cable attached.

RE: Playback problem since update to Leia - Don Pedro - 26th May, 2020 08:58 AM

(24th May, 2020 04:22 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  By now it sounds to me like your TV kills the Raspberry Pi's.

I'm afraid that's currently the most likely scenario :-((

Quote:Maybe your fantec hdmi output is just more robust than the raspberry hdmi outputs. I guess you always used the tv first and then the monitor, right?

- Raspberry Pi 3: It was only connected to the monitor after it suddenly stopped showing a picture on the TV.
- Raspberry Pi 4: It was bought after the 3 stopped showing a picture - and of course unwittingly connected to the very same TV, assuming the TV had nothing to do with the dying of the video output of the 3.
- Fantec: It was intended as a sacrifice to figure out if the TV is the culprit. Thus it was connected first to the monitor (to figure out it was working OK before connecting to the TV), then to the TV (where it showed a picture, contrary to my expectation) and then reconnected to the monitor (where it still worked!)

Quote:And yes, it's a good idea to test the Pi's without any additional hardware.

Yes, I will test that additionally, plus I have a second TV (unfortunately with a DVI connector only, not a HDMI, I ordered a converter on Amazon), which I will use for testing as well. But I don't expect any pictures from the Raspberries - but I was surprised more than once in this case...

Regards

Don

RE: Playback problem since update to Leia - Don Pedro - 1st Jun, 2020 02:13 AM

(26th May, 2020 08:58 AM)Don Pedro Wrote:  Yes, I will test that additionally, plus I have a second TV (unfortunately with a DVI connector only, not a HDMI, I ordered a converter on Amazon), which I will use for testing as well. But I don't expect any pictures from the Raspberries - but I was surprised more than once in this case...

Latest update to that:
I tested with the older TV and as already presumed there's also no picture. Will now
- Do a final test with a "naked" Pi 4 (which presumably will not yield a picture as well)
- Resend the Pi to the place I bought it and ask for a repair/replacement

BR

Don

RE: Playback problem since update to Leia - Don Pedro - 13th Jun, 2020 09:36 AM

(1st Jun, 2020 02:13 AM)Don Pedro Wrote:  Latest update to that:
I tested with the older TV and as already presumed there's also no picture. Will now
- Do a final test with a "naked" Pi 4 (which presumably will not yield a picture as well)
- Resend the Pi to the place I bought it and ask for a repair/replacement

I finally found the reason for the behavior observed:
  • The HDMI-output of the Raspy 3 got broken at some time in the past.
  • The TV was not causing this.
  • The HDMI-outputs of the newly bought Raspi 4 were and are not broken.
  • The IR-receiver(!!!) soldered to the casing of the Raspi 4 however was causing the malfunctioning of the HDMI-outputs (no idea why). After removing it the HDMI pots both suddenly became operational.
  • Unfortunately the malfunctioning of the Raspy 4 was identical with the thing that got broken on the Raspy 3, which made error analysis difficult and misleading. So it took its time...

But everything is OK now, thx for the help received!

RE: Playback problem since update to Leia - Nachteule - 13th Jun, 2020 07:17 PM

Sometimes strange coincidences happen Smile

RE: Playback problem since update to Leia - Don Pedro - 15th Jun, 2020 01:26 AM

(13th Jun, 2020 07:17 PM)Nachteule Wrote:  Sometimes strange coincidences happen Smile

Yes! And they cost you a lot of time and maybe even frustration...

BR

Don