Forum
deCONZ (Raspbee/Conbee program) via VNC or X-forwarding - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Additional Packages (/forum-22.html)
+--- Thread: deCONZ (Raspbee/Conbee program) via VNC or X-forwarding (/thread-4034.html)

deCONZ (Raspbee/Conbee program) via VNC or X-forwarding - walt - 11th Jun, 2019 02:47 PM

Hi all,

Still a Linux newbie here so please bear with me. My RPi 3B is running Xbian and is also used for some non-GUI stuff.

I’ve just purchased a Raspbee (https://www.dresden-elektronik.de/funktechnik/products/boards/development-boards/raspbee/description/?L=1) to venture into Zigbee territory. To configure the Raspbee, a program called deCONZ is used, and it’s one that requires a GUI.

I’ve tried to connect to the RPi from Windows 10 via VNC both with tightvnc-jviewer and RealVNC viewer, both of which show a desktop but it doesn’t respond to mouse or keyboard.

Further research (read: hours of googling and reading posts here) led me to try X-forwarding using Xming on the PC, but whatever I try (Linux newbie as I wrote, so I must have been trying the wrong things, and prio 1 is I don’t want to cripple Xbian) the result is always 'Cannot open display' (I’ve tried exporting DISPLAY and then using the same value in Xming, but again, I’m practically flying blind).

Any pointers you might be able to offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

walt

RE: deCONZ (Raspbee/Conbee program) via VNC or X-forwarding - Nachteule - 13th Jun, 2019 05:53 AM

(11th Jun, 2019 02:47 PM)walt Wrote:  Hi all,

Still a Linux newbie here so please bear with me. My RPi 3B is running Xbian and is also used for some non-GUI stuff.

I’ve just purchased a Raspbee (https://www.dresden-elektronik.de/funktechnik/products/boards/development-boards/raspbee/description/?L=1) to venture into Zigbee territory. To configure the Raspbee, a program called deCONZ is used, and it’s one that requires a GUI.

I’ve tried to connect to the RPi from Windows 10 via VNC both with tightvnc-jviewer and RealVNC viewer, both of which show a desktop but it doesn’t respond to mouse or keyboard.

Hmmm, that's weird. I'm using RealVNC viewer for a long time, no problem with keyboard and mouse. Works like a charm
Main difference might be, not using Windows client, having Linux only Dodgy

Quote:Further research (read: hours of googling and reading posts here) led me to try X-forwarding using Xming on the PC, but whatever I try (Linux newbie as I wrote, so I must have been trying the wrong things, and prio 1 is I don’t want to cripple Xbian) the result is always 'Cannot open display' (I’ve tried exporting DISPLAY and then using the same value in Xming, but again, I’m practically flying blind).

Any pointers you might be able to offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

walt

You said "deCONZ is used, and it’s one that requires a GUI", so I suppose you mean this application requires graphical desktop, right?

In that case, you could try to install X2Go server on the Pi by executing 4 steps:

Step 1)
Install x2goserver

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install x2goserver

Step 2)
Install desktop, lxde is recommended

Code:
sudo apt-get install lxde

Step 3)
If you use standard user xbian, you have to disable autostart of xbian-config

Start console application xbian-config,
enter menu 2 Settings
enter menu 6 xbian-config
tab to No and hit enter

Code:
sudo xbian-config

Step 4)
Install client from here
and configure a session for your XBian-Pi

Then you can have a full desktop running parallel to Kodi GUI like this:

RE: deCONZ (Raspbee/Conbee program) via VNC or X-forwarding - walt - 13th Jun, 2019 03:45 PM

Fantastic, thanks a million Nachteule, it works like a charm (and you knew that of course Big Grin)

(13th Jun, 2019 05:53 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  You said "deCONZ is used, and it’s one that requires a GUI", so I suppose you mean this application requires graphical desktop, right?

Correct, that's what I meant but I'm not used to the Linux lingo. And 'Study Linux' is on my todo list now, that will keep me out of mischief for a while Wink

RE: deCONZ (Raspbee/Conbee program) via VNC or X-forwarding - Nachteule - 14th Jun, 2019 04:55 AM

(13th Jun, 2019 03:45 PM)walt Wrote:  Fantastic, thanks a million Nachteule, it works like a charm (and you knew that of course Big Grin)

Of course, I'm using X2go for many many years as my successor for NoMachine's NX

Quote:
(13th Jun, 2019 05:53 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  You said "deCONZ is used, and it’s one that requires a GUI", so I suppose you mean this application requires graphical desktop, right?

Correct, that's what I meant but I'm not used to the Linux lingo. And 'Study Linux' is on my todo list now, that will keep me out of mischief for a while Wink

My recommendation: Making regular backups via XBian system backup [1] saves you a lot of time in case of killing your current installation

[1] See category Backup in XBian-config GUI after enabling Advanced mode under category Preferences

RE: deCONZ (Raspbee/Conbee program) via VNC or X-forwarding - walt - 14th Jun, 2019 03:00 PM

(14th Jun, 2019 04:55 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  My recommendation: Making regular backups via XBian system backup [1] saves you a lot of time in case of killing your current installation

[1] See category Backup in XBian-config GUI after enabling Advanced mode under category Preferences

Duly noted, thanks for the hint! I have of course an image of my stable environment, and a detailed change log, but the backup option might open up some alternatives - it's on the list now Wink