Forum
Raspberry pi 4 announced... Huge improvements - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Community (/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Other news (/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Raspberry pi 4 announced... Huge improvements (/thread-4037.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Raspberry pi 4 announced... Huge improvements - Exnor - 26th Jun, 2019 05:03 AM

(26th Jun, 2019 04:22 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  
(25th Jun, 2019 12:22 PM)Exnor Wrote:  
(25th Jun, 2019 05:48 AM)Skywatch Wrote:  Hmmm..... I am a little disappointed really. The extra RAM is long overdue and gigabit ethernet will be nice, but still.....

No HDD port onboard? Confused
No MCLK for pro audio? Huh
Only Quadcore when phones have had octa or deca core for long time now. Angry

Lets see what the price is....Dodgy Angel

True but for the price i think its quite nice... Sadly i can't find a retailer that is not overpricing the units....

On the bright side the Pi3 B+ is now at 30 euros (it was near 50 last time i wanted to buy one) and i think I'm finally buying one Tongue. (Since i don't think i need the extra compute power/performance that the Pi4 offers, at least not for a couple of years... My 1B is still my room Xbian machine to this day).

Next version of Kodi has dropped OMX player support, that means that you can forget playing videos smoothly on Pi's < 2 Sad

Why the F word did they dropped OMX? If it had better performance on less powerful hardware why remove it?

I assume this will be implemented on the next version of Kodi (after Leia) ? I'm still using Krypton on my Pi 1B.

RE: Raspberry pi 4 announced... Huge improvements - Nachteule - 26th Jun, 2019 05:14 AM

(26th Jun, 2019 05:03 AM)Exnor Wrote:  
(25th Jun, 2019 05:48 AM)Skywatch Wrote:  Hmmm..... I am a little disappointed really. The extra RAM is long overdue and gigabit ethernet will be nice, but still.....

True but for the price i think its quite nice... Sadly i can't find a retailer that is not overpricing the units....

On the bright side the Pi3 B+ is now at 30 euros (it was near 50 last time i wanted to buy one) and i think I'm finally buying one Tongue. (Since i don't think i need the extra compute power/performance that the Pi4 offers, at least not for a couple of years... My 1B is still my room Xbian machine to this day).

Next version of Kodi has dropped OMX player support, that means that you can forget playing videos smoothly on Pi's < 2 Sad

Why the F word did they dropped OMX? If it had better performance on less powerful hardware why remove it?

Please read here

Quote:I assume this will be implemented on the next version of Kodi (after Leia) ? I'm still using Krypton on my Pi 1B.

Right

RE: Raspberry pi 4 announced... Huge improvements - Exnor - 26th Jun, 2019 05:42 AM

(26th Jun, 2019 05:14 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  
(26th Jun, 2019 05:03 AM)Exnor Wrote:  

Please read here

Quote:I assume this will be implemented on the next version of Kodi (after Leia) ? I'm still using Krypton on my Pi 1B.

Right

I've read the few comments there.... Most are not pleased for what i could understand. One idiot was actually happy with the decision because now people could drop Raspberry Pis usage (?!?!).

Well i guess I'm not updating my Pi 1... Tbh it works fine and I'm finally buying the 3 B+ to substitute it so i guess this will not be a problem (?).

Do you devs will continue to update kodi for the Pi 1 Xbian image or will it be left with Leia?

Raspberry pi 4 announced... Huge improvements - legendarybomba - 26th Jun, 2019 01:00 PM

Carry on...

RE: Raspberry pi 4 announced... Huge improvements - gkusiak - 14th Dec, 2019 01:14 AM

I noticed my Pi4 updated xbian to kernel 5.x the other day. that's progress, and preparation for kodi v19. With any luck, those devs are thinking ahead to include Netflix, Amazon, Disney+, Apple TV, hulu and whatever other streaming services are big deals lately - In my opinion, that's the way forward if they want to put the add-on devs/hackers out of business until everyone has a smart tv. Open source that DRM stuff...

RE: Raspberry pi 4 announced... Huge improvements - qoop - 27th Dec, 2019 04:01 AM

In my opinion, KODI Open Source code is being highjacked from "Libre Software" by Companies coding new features, making old ones difficult to maintain!! Libre Kodi should be forked from Kodi.

(14th Dec, 2019 01:14 AM)gkusiak Wrote:  I noticed my Pi4 updated xbian to kernel 5.x the other day. that's progress, and preparation for kodi v19. With any luck, those devs are thinking ahead to include Netflix, Amazon, Disney+, Apple TV, hulu and whatever other streaming services are big deals lately - In my opinion, that's the way forward if they want to put the add-on devs/hackers out of business until everyone has a smart tv. Open source that DRM stuff...

RE: Raspberry pi 4 announced... Huge improvements - f1vefour - 27th Dec, 2019 11:58 PM

(27th Dec, 2019 04:01 AM)qoop Wrote:  In my opinion, KODI Open Source code is being highjacked from "Libre Software" by Companies coding new features, making old ones difficult to maintain!! Libre Kodi should be forked from Kodi.

(14th Dec, 2019 01:14 AM)gkusiak Wrote:  I noticed my Pi4 updated xbian to kernel 5.x the other day. that's progress, and preparation for kodi v19. With any luck, those devs are thinking ahead to include Netflix, Amazon, Disney+, Apple TV, hulu and whatever other streaming services are big deals lately - In my opinion, that's the way forward if they want to put the add-on devs/hackers out of business until everyone has a smart tv. Open source that DRM stuff...
Are you referring to LibreELEC? If so LE isn't Kodi.

RE: Raspberry pi 4 announced... Huge improvements - Exnor - 28th Dec, 2019 03:30 AM

(27th Dec, 2019 04:01 AM)qoop Wrote:  In my opinion, KODI Open Source code is being highjacked from "Libre Software" by Companies coding new features, making old ones difficult to maintain!! Libre Kodi should be forked from Kodi.

Hmmm... I don't understand what you are trying to say.

Even if a "company" started a close source fork of Kodi how would that impact the open source original project? People would most likely not even used the close source one ( that i guess would not be free).

What is "Libre Kodi"?

RE: Raspberry pi 4 announced... Huge improvements - gkusiak - 28th Dec, 2019 03:35 AM

what I was trying to say is that people don't seem to have a problem paying for these streaming services, and anyone should be able to view the content of those services legally on any device/HTPC (not simply the major platforms) including kodi/xbian.

RE: Raspberry pi 4 announced... Huge improvements - Exnor - 30th Dec, 2019 05:28 AM

(28th Dec, 2019 03:35 AM)gkusiak Wrote:  what I was trying to say is that people don't seem to have a problem paying for these streaming services, and anyone should be able to view the content of those services legally on any device/HTPC (not simply the major platforms) including kodi/xbian.

Well, i think most people don't know how to setup a Kodi installation... So they buy these China made Android boxes that include Kodi and a lot of piracy add ons :/ ... In fact i know some people that have the knowledge on how to use the soft and OS but they prefer to pay instead of having to "spend" time doing it... ( And they really don't care about PRC spyware or the legality of those add ons).

That problem asside, it would be nice to have an official client add on for Netflix on Kodi, but since Netflix, Amazon and HBO are already releasing client apps for every device/OS out there i think they will never support Kodi Sad .

Raspberry pi 4 announced... Huge improvements - gkusiak - 30th Dec, 2019 08:22 AM

I suspect you’re right, and that’s sad. However: the improvements in display and computing technology since kodi was created are -in my opinion- fairly spectacular, stupendous and significant. And that doesn’t even factor in the overall increase in availability of high speed internet. All of these in combination have brought us to the precipice of a revolution in media/entertainment. So the fun is just beginning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Raspberry pi 4 announced... Huge improvements - gkusiak - 12th Aug, 2020 01:56 AM

8GB Pi4 now
Firmware allows for USB boot drives - YouTubers are strapping m.2 SSDs on
64bit Raspbian

kodi v19 will hopefully be a monster...is there anything we community members can do to help devs other than be patient and test betas?

RE: Raspberry pi 4 announced... Huge improvements - Nachteule - 12th Aug, 2020 02:08 AM

(12th Aug, 2020 01:56 AM)gkusiak Wrote:  8GB Pi4 now
64bit Raspbian

kodi v19 will hopefully be a monster...is there anything we community members can do to help devs other than be patient and test betas?

That's still a long way off. developers are still thinking about how final ffmpeg/v4l2 interface should look like. and they have been doing that for at least 3 years. 8GB and 64bit are nice to have, but completely superfluous for kodi and many things even run slower under 64bit

RE: Raspberry pi 4 announced... Huge improvements - Exnor - 12th Aug, 2020 03:32 AM

(12th Aug, 2020 01:56 AM)gkusiak Wrote:  8GB Pi4 now
64bit Raspbian

I don´t think Kodi needs more than 1GiB of RAM tbh... i'm running Xbian on a pi3B+ and even decodes HEVC very well. RAM usage in average seem to be less than 300MiB... (Sure if one leaves the Pi on for 24/7 like i do eventually the used RAM reaches near 1GiB.. don't know why :/ )

RE: Raspberry pi 4 announced... Huge improvements - gkusiak - 12th Aug, 2020 01:31 PM

(12th Aug, 2020 03:32 AM)Exnor Wrote:  I don´t think Kodi needs more than 1GiB of RAM tbh... i'm running Xbian on a pi3B+ and even decodes HEVC very well. RAM usage in average seem to be less than 300MiB... (Sure if one leaves the Pi on for 24/7 like i do eventually the used RAM reaches near 1GiB.. don't know why :/ )

I do the same, but It's easy to see when my 4GB Pi4 needs a reboot - once a week is about right when mine gets a little less snappy. (and mine does use more than 300MB..but less than 450MB)
I'd really like to make the change to a USB boot - SD cards have always made me a bit nervous.