Forum
[SOLVED] Kodi using almost all the RAM. - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Configuration (/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: [SOLVED] Kodi using almost all the RAM. (/thread-4041.html)

Pages: 1 2

Kodi using almost all the RAM. - f1vefour - 30th Nov, 2019 07:43 AM

It's better to use zram vs a swap file on an SD card in my opinion.

RE: Kodi using almost all the RAM. - gkusiak - 2nd Dec, 2019 08:46 AM

cache - advancedsettings.xml is what you mean, yes? buffermode, memorysize and readfactor?

RE: Kodi using almost all the RAM. - f1vefour - 10th Dec, 2019 04:56 PM

(2nd Dec, 2019 08:46 AM)gkusiak Wrote:  cache - advancedsettings.xml is what you mean, yes? buffermode, memorysize and readfactor?
Are you talking to me?

Kodi using almost all the RAM. - gkusiak - 11th Dec, 2019 08:29 PM

I think I was trying to engage deHaakelaar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Kodi using almost all the RAM. - f1vefour - 15th Dec, 2019 09:44 PM

(11th Dec, 2019 08:29 PM)gkusiak Wrote:  I think I was trying to engage deHaakelaar.

You can use the @deHakkelaar method of putting an at before their name.

RE: Kodi using almost all the RAM. - deHakkelaar - 31st Dec, 2019 03:25 AM

(2nd Dec, 2019 08:46 AM)gkusiak Wrote:  cache - advancedsettings.xml is what you mean, yes? buffermode, memorysize and readfactor?

I dont know what your asking.
Can you rephrase pls ?

RE: Kodi using almost all the RAM. - gkusiak - 15th Dec, 2021 03:38 AM

(30th Nov, 2019 07:43 AM)f1vefour Wrote:  It's better to use zram vs a swap file on an SD card in my opinion.

what about on a USB3 flash drive? That's what I've recently moved my xbian to and it's quite responsive...except when it's not. (I'm trying to resolve this.)

From https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_the_video_cache buffermode 2 doesn't look like a terrible idea for me, as I stream exclusively from Real Debrid (if I'm allowed to say that here - the kodi forums have deleted my posts when I mention which addon is my primary) and the Canadian Broadcast Corporation official app

So, my question is: do I go and make an advancedsettings.xml file that creates a cache appropriate to my host/network/connection, or do I simply fire up the zram package and let the linux gods handle things? or a simple advancedsettings AND zram?

RasPi 4 w/4GB, xbian(latest) on 64GB USB3 flash/thumb drive

Thanks in advance.

Kodi using almost all the RAM. - f1vefour - 15th Dec, 2021 03:50 AM

Flash drives are usually more resilient than SD, if you don't mind killing the drive there shouldn't be any issues using it.

Not saying it will kill the drive but it can given enough time.

To buffer to disk you need to create the XML with correct settings.

I would make use of that 4GB of memory though, otherwise it's just sitting there unused. I stream and my cache is set to 200 megabytes of memory and I stream files as large as 90 gigabyte without issue.

RE: Kodi using almost all the RAM. - Nachteule - 15th Dec, 2021 03:53 AM

(15th Dec, 2021 03:38 AM)gkusiak Wrote:  
(30th Nov, 2019 07:43 AM)f1vefour Wrote:  It's better to use zram vs a swap file on an SD card in my opinion.

what about on a USB3 flash drive? That's what I've recently moved my xbian to and it's quite responsive...except when it's not. (I'm trying to resolve this.)

From https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_the_video_cache buffermode 2 doesn't look like a terrible idea for me, as I stream exclusively from Real Debrid (if I'm allowed to say that here - the kodi forums have deleted my posts when I mention which addon is my primary) and the Canadian Broadcast Corporation official app

So, my question is: do I go and make an advancedsettings.xml file that creates a cache appropriate to my host/network/connection, or do I simply fire up the zram package and let the linux gods handle things? or a simple advancedsettings AND zram?

RasPi 4 w/4GB, xbian(latest) on 64GB USB3 flash/thumb drive

Thanks in advance.

Poposal 3:
Don't do it. It's a pity for the time you spend with it. In my experience the cache handling in Kodi is pure placebo, doesn't help at all. At least for me it's like that.

Kodi using almost all the RAM. - f1vefour - 15th Dec, 2021 04:05 AM

It helps if the places you stream from speed up and slow down or your own WAN does, otherwise it doesn't make any difference.

Kodi using almost all the RAM. - gkusiak - 15th Dec, 2021 05:51 AM

My connection is surprisingly stable, but I do get an occasional “source read rate too slow for continuous playback” message.
I suppose that means the benefits of any modifications I may make could be uncertain at best. I will test on the weekend

Kodi using almost all the RAM. - f1vefour - 18th Dec, 2021 05:03 AM

It may help to increase buffer size.