Forum
[PROBLEM] Xbian update package breaks HDMI-output - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Installation (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: [PROBLEM] Xbian update package breaks HDMI-output (/thread-4044.html)

Pages: 1 2

Xbian update package breaks HDMI-output - jakenl - 13th Oct, 2019 09:37 AM

Today I updated Xbian while there were some xbian update packages. After reboot I have no HDMI signal anymore. Reverting back to the previous auto-backup of the system.img worked fine and everything ran OK. Redoing the update, the problem comes back immediately.

I tried to update not all available packages regarding xbian, but started with one: 'xbian package'? I believe and go on from there 1 by 1. Update of this package goes fine, system asks for reboot and afterwards no HDMI output. With SSH I can login no problem, Xbian is also up, because Yatse remote control finds Xbian and is able to do a reboot or shutdown, just no screen. Really weird.

Kodi log:

Xbian update package breaks HDMI-output - jakenl - 14th Oct, 2019 05:09 AM

I kept on searching for reasons why this update disables the HDMI output and I came across this check:
Code:
xbian@xbian ~ $ tvservice -s
state 0x40000 [NTSC 4:3], 720x480 @ 60.00Hz, interlaced
xbian@xbian ~ $ tvservice -m CEA
Group CEA has 0 modes:
xbian@xbian ~ $ tvservice -m DMT
Group DMT has 0 modes:
Xbian doesn't detect the HDMI device (Onkyo audio receiver) anymore, no matter if it is on or off. This has never before been an issue, since the receivers supports 'pass through' for HDMI. And again, flashing an image back from 2 days ago, will solve the problem until I update again.

Was there a kernel update with the latest xbian updates? Here I find a lot of users that experience similar problem with loosing HDMI output after an update: https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/3081

Current kernel installed:
Code:
xbian@xbian ~ $ uname -a
Linux xbian 4.19.75+ #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Sep 24 14:59:43 CEST 2019 armv7l GNU/Linux
Should I revert back to an older kernel?
Does that have a disavantage in compare to the latest kernel?

In the mean time I found this thread about changing the kernel: http://forum.xbian.org/thread-4029.html I successfully reverted back to 4.19.72 and .68. However, none of those gave me my HDMI output back.

This topic mentiones even a more specific set of parameters that cause the no HDMI: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=245554 boot from USB, Debian Stretch (Buster seems to be fine)

I tried suggestions like adding the following to config.txt:
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_ignore_edid = 0xa5000080

Unfortunately without success

RE: Xbian update package breaks HDMI-output - Nachteule - 15th Oct, 2019 04:21 AM

Which packages did you have updated

Sounds like xbian-package-firmware ist broken, but I'm using latest available xbian-package-firmware version (9-1570377897) w/o any problems

Which repos do you have enabled ? stable and staging and/or devel?

RE: Xbian update package breaks HDMI-output - jakenl - 15th Oct, 2019 04:39 AM

(15th Oct, 2019 04:21 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  Which packages did you have updated

Sounds like xbian-package-firmware ist broken, but I'm using latest available xbian-package-firmware version (9-1570377897) w/o any problems

Which repos do you have enabled ? stable and staging and/or devel?

I am @stable

I think I updated indeed the xbian-package-firmware. I rolled back to the previous image and updated all packages (also a xbian ??? package 18.4xxxx) without problems. I don't dare to touch yet again the following packages
-xbian-package-config-shell (20191004-0)
-xbian-package-firmware (9-1570377897)
-xbian-package-xbianhome (1.3.0-1570282452)
-xbian-update (20191008-0)

I assume the 'firmware' one is the culprit, but since the 'manual backup option' didn't work for me (opened a new reply in this topic) I decided not to update any of these 4, but to wait for the next automatic backup to not having to redo those one-by-one updates if that update breaks the system again.

Btw, after the roll-back, the current kernel is still:
Linux xbian 4.19.75+ #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Sep 24 14:59:43 CEST 2019 armv7l GNU/Linux

so that didn't seem to do it.
I added the edit.dat file to my /boot partition and mentioned it in my config.txt (just to be sure)
Code:
hdmi_edid_file=1
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=68

RE: Xbian update package breaks HDMI-output - Nachteule - 15th Oct, 2019 05:06 AM

What is meant be roll-back

Revert to a previous snap-shot or flashing image backup?

RE: Xbian update package breaks HDMI-output - Nachteule - 15th Oct, 2019 06:00 AM

I have just updated my XBian test-installation (XBian isinstalled on USB drive, boot from PINN)

Absolutely no problems here

RE: Xbian update package breaks HDMI-output - jakenl - 15th Oct, 2019 07:55 AM

(15th Oct, 2019 05:06 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  What is meant be roll-back

Revert to a previous snap-shot or flashing image backup?
Flashing an image backup that Xbian creates for me every week (that's how I set it up in the Xbian backup/restore menu in the GUI).

(15th Oct, 2019 06:00 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  I have just updated my XBian test-installation (XBian isinstalled on USB drive, boot from PINN)

Absolutely no problems here
Hmm, too bad. It is always good when a problem can be reproduced. From the mentioned 4 updates, are there ones that you consider 'safe' to update. Updates that can't interfere with HDMI output?

RE: Xbian update package breaks HDMI-output - jakenl - 3rd Nov, 2019 04:46 AM

I added the edid.dat, installed all packages, except the firmware one. Did an image backup before applying this update again. I don't know what changed it, but it installed now without problems.

RE: Xbian update package breaks HDMI-output - ulfwin - 3rd Nov, 2019 11:23 PM

(3rd Nov, 2019 04:46 AM)jakenl Wrote:  I added the edid.dat, installed all packages, except the firmware one. Did an image backup before applying this update again. I don't know what changed it, but it installed now without problems.

I just updated and have exactly the same issue. During the update HDMI was connected through a HDMI switch, but now even if I connect directly to the TV there is no output.

Can you explain what you mean with "mentioned it in my config.txt" in your earlier post, regarding edit.dat? How did you do that?

RE: Xbian update package breaks HDMI-output - Skywatch - 3rd Nov, 2019 11:51 PM

I also got no HDMI after an update a week or so ago.

This was not a Buster update afaik. It turned out that HDMI changes in config.txt had reverted to default options and my changes had been lost. I put everything back and HDMI has worked flawlessly since.

Maybe worth a look with 'sudo nano /boot/config.txt' and see what options are selected/de-selected.

RE: Xbian update package breaks HDMI-output - ulfwin - 4th Nov, 2019 03:09 AM

(3rd Nov, 2019 11:51 PM)Skywatch Wrote:  I also got no HDMI after an update a week or so ago.

This was not a Buster update afaik. It turned out that HDMI changes in config.txt had reverted to default options and my changes had been lost. I put everything back and HDMI has worked flawlessly since.

Maybe worth a look with 'sudo nano /boot/config.txt' and see what options are selected/de-selected.

I checked with my backup from earlier today, and the config.txt file is identical. I also tried setting hdmi_safe=1, but the problem remains...

Xbian update package breaks HDMI-output - jakenl - 4th Nov, 2019 03:55 AM

Check the content on this website
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/config-txt/video.md

And look under the header hdmi_edid_file

RE: Xbian update package breaks HDMI-output - Nachteule - 4th Nov, 2019 10:11 PM

I'm very confused what's going on here Confused

Having absolutely no idea whats causing the problem

RE: Xbian update package breaks HDMI-output - ulfwin - 5th Nov, 2019 12:32 AM

(4th Nov, 2019 10:11 PM)Nachteule Wrote:  I'm very confused what's going on here Confused

Having absolutely no idea whats causing the problem

Indeed strange Tongue I've now rolled back using btrfs snapshots to before the apt update, which made it work. However, the boot partition is not btrfs and did therefore not roll back. So I noticed the following:
  1. With hdmi_safe=1, old system and new boot works (with crappy resolution, of course)
  2. Without hdmi_safe=1, old system and new boot does NOT work
  3. old system and old boot (taken from a separate borg backup solution) works (obvious, but indicates that I didn't screw up any part of the roll back)

Does that say anything to anyone? I guess the firmware update replaces all the *.dtb files in /boot, and that has to be part of the problem, but somehow the system files makes even hdmi_safe not work.

RE: Xbian update package breaks HDMI-output - Nachteule - 5th Nov, 2019 12:44 AM

(5th Nov, 2019 12:32 AM)ulfwin Wrote:  Does that say anything to anyone? I guess the firmware update replaces all the *.dtb files in /boot, and that has to be part of the problem, but somehow the system files makes even hdmi_safe not work.

Nope, *.dtb files are part of the kernel package (xbian-package-kernel, linux-image-bcm2836)

But yes, I believe that firmware (xbian-package-firmware) could be the culprit. It has been updated due to supporting Raspberry Pi4

Maybe a downgrade of this package (2 older versions are still available) could help

Btw, theese are my related settings in /boot/config.txt

Code:
hdmi_force_hotplug=0
hdmi_ignore_hotplug=0
hdmi_ignore_cec_init=1
hdmi_ignore_cec=0
disable_overscan=1
disable_splash=1