Forum
[PROBLEM] Distribution upgrade to Buster fails - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Installation (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: [PROBLEM] Distribution upgrade to Buster fails (/thread-4046.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Distribution upgrade to Buster fails - rafhtl - 23rd Nov, 2019 07:56 AM

(23rd Nov, 2019 07:50 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  I would like to know what the problem is, but being honestly:

In your case it would be much easier to save home volume and all other things you want to preserve, install fresh image from today, install kernel from staging repo and restore everything you have backed up

Yes I suppose so, it would be easier,
But I was so close to being able not to do that Wink
if I told you from what image I started from ... hehehe (reallllyyy old xbian) and we got so far an NO problems .... almost there!!!!

I was hoping we could solve this. Could be useful...
Again I will do what you suggest but if I can do anything to keep trying I will
Up to you
Im here willing Wink
thank you

RE: Distribution upgrade to Buster fails - Nachteule - 23rd Nov, 2019 08:04 AM

(23rd Nov, 2019 07:56 AM)rafhtl Wrote:  
(23rd Nov, 2019 07:50 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  I would like to know what the problem is, but being honestly:

In your case it would be much easier to save home volume and all other things you want to preserve, install fresh image from today, install kernel from staging repo and restore everything you have backed up

Yes I suppose so, it would be easier,
But I was so close to being able not to do that Wink
if I told you from what image I started from ... hehehe (reallllyyy old xbian) and we got so far an NO problems .... almost there!!!!

I was hoping we could solve this. Could be useful...
Again I will do what you suggest but if I can do anything to keep trying I will
Up to you
Im here willing Wink
thank you

Yeah, the problem is that I do not have access to your Pi. If I would have access, I think problem could be solved in 5 mins or so.

Support via forum is real PITA

Much better would be talking via irc for such kind of problems

RE: Distribution upgrade to Buster fails - Exnor - 3rd Jul, 2020 03:54 AM

Today i finally updated/upgraded to the latest version (from Stretch and its a Pi3b+), via CLI using apt-get dist-upgrade... and after that i had to DPKG to solve something that was not finalized (sorry did not save the logs), reboot several times, and Kodi would not start by any means... not at boot, not via "start xbmc" command :/

Long story short and after sending 2 hours searching the forum and check if the sources list was correct (it was) in desperation i executed "sudo apt-get install --reinstall xbian-update", and somehow it solve the problem....

I cant post any logs if you guys think it will help future users.

RE: Distribution upgrade to Buster fails - Nachteule - 3rd Jul, 2020 03:59 AM

(3rd Jul, 2020 03:54 AM)Exnor Wrote:  Today i finally updated/upgraded to the latest version (from Stretch and its a Pi3b+), via CLI using apt-get dist-upgrade... and after that i had to DPKG to solve something that was not finalized (sorry did not save the logs), reboot several times, and Kodi would not start by any means... not at boot, not via "start xbmc" command :/

Long story short and after sending 2 hours searching the forum and check if the sources list was correct (it was) in desperation i executed "sudo apt-get install --reinstall xbian-update", and somehow it solve the problem....

Congratulation Smile

Logs not required anyway. You did exactly that what the build-in upgrade procedure does (reinstalling xbian-update)

RE: Distribution upgrade to Buster fails - Exnor - 3rd Jul, 2020 04:41 AM

(3rd Jul, 2020 03:59 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  
(3rd Jul, 2020 03:54 AM)Exnor Wrote:  Today i finally updated/upgraded to the latest version (from Stretch and its a Pi3b+), via CLI using apt-get dist-upgrade... and after that i had to DPKG to solve something that was not finalized (sorry did not save the logs), reboot several times, and Kodi would not start by any means... not at boot, not via "start xbmc" command :/

Congratulation Smile

Logs not required anyway. You did exactly that what the build-in upgrade procedure does (reinstalling xbian-update)

Lol so this is the correct procedure to solve dist upgrade errors? I did not knew that Tongue